Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #16

Dark side derision

I had the same experience on my recent trip. Dealer said I had plenty of rubber left w/ only 5k on the odo. 3700 miles out, it was bald and badly cupped (shop guessed it was do to the added weight of trailer and passenger). When I brought up the CT, they looked @ me like I had 3 heads. Even the boyz over at the custom shop were left scratching their heads. Looks like I'm stuck with my E3 for know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #17

Dark side derision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I was at a charity ride a couple weeks ago and we got talking about car tires. There was an older rider there who wouldn't even listen to the fact thay guys are using them with no problems. He insisted on how its not possible and how the bike would slide out from under you on corners. Some people just seem to walk around with blinders on.
-

I continue to be amazed at the number of people out there who are clinging to their 15th century mentalities. No offense intended to those who don't want to switch to car tires - I just get frustrated sometimes by closed minds in general. I love innovation.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #18

Dark side derision

OK let me throw my two cents in here.
The thing that keeps me from trying a CT on my bike is , like someone mentioned, the bike wants to standup in corners without some extra input. I will admit I suck at cornering. Even with the Cobras I have on now I have come close to going off the road. I don't know what is. Every since I did go off the road and into a pasture 2 years ago I have a tough time. I almost always slow down even if the turn is posted for 45 I know it is capable of being taken at 55 or more. I still can't bring myself to do it.
So I have to assume it would be even worse with a CT on the bike.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Dark side derision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
The thing that keeps me from trying a CT on my bike is , like someone mentioned, the bike wants to standup in corners without some extra input.
I don't think that's quite what everyone is trying to say. In my experience the bike does NOT try to stand up while in a corner. If anything, I think it holds the line in a corner easier. What it does do, is when you're exiting the corner it comes out of the lean very easy without a lot of effort to make it come up.

Most of the guys that have gone to a car tire also say that in a very short time they can't even tell that they have a car tire on the bike.

With that said, I would advise that you stick with the M/C tires. The main advantage of the C/T is reduced cost due to the fact that they last a lot longer, but, your comfort and level of confidence in what you're riding outweighs that benefit.

The savings are really not worth the worry if you're not comfortable.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Dark side derision

I don't need a tire at this time. Guess when that time comes I will have to do some research. Who knows? I am open minded to most things.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #21

Dark side derision

[quote=Yellow Jacket]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Top Cat (TC) ":fj6obsnn
The thing that keeps me from trying a CT on my bike is , like someone mentioned, the bike wants to standup in corners without some extra input.
I don't think that's quite what everyone is trying to say. In my experience the bike does NOT try to stand up while in a corner. If anything, I think it holds the line in a corner easier. What it does do, is when you're exiting the corner it comes out of the lean very easy without a lot of effort to make it come up.

Most of the guys that have gone to a car tire also say that in a very short time they can't even tell that they have a car tire on the bike.

With that said, I would advise that you stick with the M/C tires. The main advantage of the C/T is reduced cost due to the fact that they last a lot longer, but, your comfort and level of confidence in what you're riding outweighs that benefit.

The savings are really not worth the worry if you're not comfortable.[/quote:fj6obsnn]

+1 The bike holds the corners great, just sits up quicker on exit, which is not a bad thing IMHO. After a few minutes, you don't even notice it, it becomes natural, just like the MT feel becomes when you start riding.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #22
Mega-Contributor

Dark side derision

[quote=Yellow Jacket]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Top Cat (TC) ":id90hxj4

The savings are really not worth the worry if you're not comfortable.[/quote:id90hxj4]

I've put about 600 miles on my car tire, and I don't even think about anymore. The first few days I was very conscious of it, looking for every little nuance, but now it's become second nature to me. I don't really ride any differently than I did before I joined the darkside.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #23

Dark side derision

While I'm not ready yet to put a CT on, I did talk about it with my dealer. I didn't ask if he'd mount one for me, but he was aware of using CT's. Said it was kind of an "old school" thing that they used to do before the MT companies made wider tires. I'm still not sure about it, but if I do decide to go with a CT, I wouldn't be surprised if my dealer will mount it for me, no questions asked.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #24

Dark side derision

When I get to the point of needing a new rear tire I will be getting one like isaiahsdad's. I guess that is the SP5000. With my trike kit I don't see any problems.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #25

Dark side derision

That tire on a trike kit like yours is an absolute must. Standing straight up the car tire has twice the tread on the ground as a motorcycle tire. Mega traction!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #26

Dark side derision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I would be more concern if an experience gear head like Mac stated "motorcycle tires are for motorcycles and car tires are for cars and that's that!! :(" title="" border="0"/> :(" title="" border="0"/> "

I've enjoyed the "inovative thinking" that lots have on this forum. Kinda of like taxes: 5% pay 90% of the taxes and:

5% of the members come up with 99% of the solutions to problems or questions or modification to Nomads.

90% of those 5%ers run car tires!

Can't paint any clearer picture than that!! ;)

....huh...so if you were already "1% er" does this mean you are now a 6%er? oh wait that is right...you said 90% of the 5%...which is 4-1/2% so maybe you are a 4-1/2% er or a 5-1/2%er...thanks for making that clear
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #27

Dark side derision

Pi R Square. No, wait, cake r square, pi r round!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Dark side derision

I need another beer!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Dark side derision

At least you don't need another rear tire Bob!! ;S

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #30

Dark side derision

Oh no...not advanced math on the KawaNOW board! Don't you all know that car tires will make your bike explode into a molten ball of metal? Car tires should never be on a motorcycle...that is why I'll be putting one on sometime next spring.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD