Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Removing the Sissy bar and brackets

Hey Everyone,

I am going to be heading out to Deals Gap here in a week and am riding solo. I have seen pics of the nomad with the sissy bar and brackets removed and I think it looks GREAT!!

What suggestions for the easiest way to get this done. Do I have to remove the hard bags? It looks like there are only 4 bolts holding it all together... I just cant get my allen wrench to the one nearest the engine..haha. ( Fat hands and small tools dont mix)

If the bags have to be removed, is it as simple as open the bag, remove the 4 bolts and I'm done?

Thanks for the help.

Rev

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
. . .It looks like there are only 4 bolts holding it all together...
If the bags have to be removed, is it as simple as open the bag, remove the 4 bolts and I'm done?
Rev
It's 50% easier than that, as there are only two bolts holding each bag. The other two you are seeing, hold clips on the other side of the bag, and they aren't removed.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #3

Removing the luggage rack and rest is easy but abit of a pain,, you have to remove the bags,, Bolts are lone,, My 1500 Nomad has 2 bolts on the frame 2 on the luggage rack.. Loosen all 4 if your set up is like that.. do the same to reinstall.. ifthe rack is solid it wont fit ,, why?? The design pulls the bars together with tension,,, you will see what I mean,, AND when the bags are off check the rubber donuts under the bags,, makes sure all 4 are there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rich

Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

The bags are real simple to remove. Each bag has two 10mm bolts that secure them to the bracket. Remove these and the bags lift right off. There are two rubber grommets that each bag rests on. They are big but have a tendency to go rolling off. So make sure they are in place when you put things back together. You might want to put a brick or something under your kickstand to set the bike up a little straighter when you take your left bag off. It makes it easier.
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 05-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Since my wife does not ride with me, I have a solo set-up for 80% of the time. Tese bikes look great set-up either way and the removal is quick and easy and so is the install.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to dabull

careful with loosening the sissy bar, don't let it slide down the "chrome chain guard" looking thing....skeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ratch...

before taking off the sissy bar....are you sure you won't be strapping anything down on it for the trip??

Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #7

Thanks everyone!! Seems easy enough. I cant wait as I can see some of your pics and it looks sexy!

As for needing the sissy to strap things to....no I just purchased the bag liners and the trip is only 3 days so I can manage with using the 2 bags. Now if the wife was coming....well....that is an entirely different story...haha.

Cheers

Rev.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel

Bike looks totally sleek as a solo set-up.

I'll have to buy the wife her own bike, so I can go with the solo set-up. ;)

Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #9

I have to admit that removing the sissy bar, gives a whole new look to the bike.

I have also purchased a rear fender rack (to go with the racks on top the box) but I have sat it on top of a mustang rear fender bib just in case of any scratches.

Looks good and is so easy to put it all back on.

Cheers,
Garf

Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #10

You might have a hard time putting the sissy bar back on again!! After riding solo and getting use to the looks..I think it would be a tough one to put it back on again...Bdog

Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog
You might have a hard time putting the sissy bar back on again!! After riding solo and getting use to the looks..I think it would be a tough one to put it back on again...Bdog
Nice lookin' bike Bdog.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Revolver, like others have said it's easy to remove the sissy bar and passenger pillion. I can remove bags, sissy bar, seat and put bags back in about 10 minutes, probably faster if i really wanted to. better to take your time though to avoid scratching anything.
I agree with you that the nomads look AWESOME set up as a solo bagger

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed