Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #1

Hello-I just picked up my 07 Nomad this past Saturday. I must say it is the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. Prior to the Nomad I have been riding my 04 800 Drifter which I plan on keeping as a spare. One quick question I have on the Nomad, do you really have to run 90 octane or above? That was something I didn't know before I bought it. I am sure as time goes on I will have more questions.

Thanks-Benny

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Welcome Benny! That really comes down to personal choice since, I think, we've all seen people run with regular. My personal preference is to run iwht super since I know the benefits of the higher octane. Since yours is new, it is probably best to use 90 or above.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
VBA Founder

Welcome benny and glad to hear you got your Nomad.

I have always used 90+ octane, but there are those that run less in the summer and 90+ in the winter. Also, if you're running two-up, might be best to use 90+.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #4

Socwk....... what exactly are the benefits of higher octane??

Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Higher octane raises the temperature threshold to pre-ignition

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Hey Benny,

I am also new to the forum but have ridden the Nomad about 11 months now. Have an 06 and have always run 90+...I figure the benefits are worth the extra few bucks a tank. 5 gallons at .30 extra is only a buck and a half and I dont have to listen to pre-ignition knocking and it feels like I am feeding my baby the good stuff at the very least. Prior to the Nomad I rode a Shadow 1100, it did not require it, but I ran 90+ in it all the time also.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Yeah, what he said.

Quote:
Higher octane raises the temperature threshold to pre-ignition
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #8

The reason I ask, and this has obviously come up before, is that my carbed '99 nomad definately starts easier on 87 octane. Best I can figure is that the lower the octane the more combustable it is.... once it's running I can't tell the difference between 87 and 91, but the starting on one crank vs 3 is noticeabe.... no doubt the FI throws a whole different twist to it. I've never experienced any ping no matter how hot it gets here in SoCal even in the desert at 110*....... the other thing that might come into play is the brand of gasoline and the % of gasahol/methanol/ whatever it may contain.... maybe??

Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #9

Thanks guys, makes sense, I will stick with the 90 and above octane

Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #10

Hi bennynomad - welcome to KawaNOW.

Just to pass on my experiece. I had a Kawasaki dealer install an eletronic cruise control on my Nomad. Before taking it in I had filled for the first time with the 87 octane. The guy had to drive the bike several times testing out the cruise as he had a little problem at first. When we came back to get the bike he said.......you're not putting low octance gas in you're bike are you.....when I told that was the first time...he said I could tell by the way it was running....you don't want to do that.....use the 90.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #11

Welcome Benny & Todd to the finest Nomad forum on the web. I'm a newbie myself, but logging miles on my '07 at a pretty good clip (1,200 so far) since taking delivery of my first bike on July 12th.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Quote:
The reason I ask, and this has obviously come up before, is that my carbed '99 nomad definately starts easier on 87 octane. Best I can figure is that the lower the octane the more combustable it is.... once it's running I can't tell the difference between 87 and 91, but the starting on one crank vs 3 is noticeabe.... no doubt the FI throws a whole different twist to it. I've never experienced any ping no matter how hot it gets here in SoCal even in the desert at 110*....... the other thing that might come into play is the brand of gasoline and the % of gasahol/methanol/ whatever it may contain.... maybe??

Nico, remember gas is a commodity and sold on the open market just like soybeans, wheat, pork bellies, corn, etc..

You are somewhat correct it that a lower octane level will ignite "easier" because of the lower flash point of the fuel. It shouldn't be really noticable however, unless your spark is deficient, which I doubt.

Experts agree that your best mileage will be from the lowest octane your engine will tolerate because of this increase in volitility of lower octane.

How fresh the gas is and how much alcohol is blended in with it will make a difference too. Gas burns best at about 14.7 to 1 fuel to air and Vodka burns best at twice that. About 7 to 1. Thats why flex fuel cars get less mileage on booze then gas. You have to burn twice as much to get it to flash correctly like gas.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #13

BD, you are a walking encyclopedia! I take it I should continue with 87 octane since it runs well and that's what the '99 calls for..... as for the vodka....... I seem to get more mileage from Potter's than from Absolut.... at least dollar wise! :)

Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Top Contributor

I get better mileage out of Grey Goose...

The only problem is that I keep burning it until the whole tank is dry. Then I seem to have problems the next day with spark knocks, clicking valves, stuck throttle linkage, electrical system malfunction, and grinding when shifting. Seems to clear up by the second day though.

I hear if you add lime it will increase your mpg. Havent tried that yet.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #15

I mostly ride two up and we seem to get better performance and mileage from 90+ . I bought my nad late april '07 and have put 9900 miles on it. I did use 87 once and it sputtered around a bit. I agree the difference is only $0.2 per gallon so $1.00 extra per tank and she just purrs is well worth it.