Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #1

Latest news from Harley-Davidson

From Friday, July 17th Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Harley-Davidson plans deep cuts as profits fall:

Back when the good times rolled, Harley-Davidson Inc couldn't keep up with demand for its flashy high-end motorcycles.
Now, the party is over and Harley is feeling the hangover.
The Milwaukee-based company on Thursday said it was cutting another 1,000 employees, or 11% of its work force, as it posted steep decline in its second-quarter profit.
Strapped consumers continue to put off sales of its premium rides, which can cost more than a new car, forcing it to make deeper production and work force cuts.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #2

It was just a matter of time before this happened, Im sure if they make the right choices now, they will be able to weather the storm and keep manufacturing in the future.
Id hate to see them go under, even if you don't care for there product, they are as american as baseball and apple pie and do have a place in american history.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #3

I hate to see any company in trouble but I am sure Obama will be glad to buy 51% of Harley.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #4

That doesn't come as to much shock to me either. I feel for the people that will be cut from there jobs, and hope that once the company restructures they will get back to work in the future. Times are tough all over, but I keep saying that in the near future it will turn around.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #5

But I bet you still have to put your name on a waiting list to get a new one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #6

Not over here. They are actually willing to deal with the public now. A friend of mine purchased a 2009 Softail Springer 110 cu in Screaming Eagle 3 days ago. The bike retailed for $27,900. He told them to come down to $25,000 and he would buy it. Well, I don't know if they caved or he did but he's got it. I tried talking him into a Nomad but he wouldn't hear of it. Can you believe that he shelled out this much cash on his first ever bike? Like me, never had a bike in his lifetime. Only difference, I spent half as much as he did.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131
Times are tough all over, but I keep saying that in the near future it will turn around.
I wish I had your optimism, unfortunately everything being done to fix the problem will extend and worsen the problems.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #8

THey need to make their pricing more in line with Asian bikes. If they ever did that they would not be able to keep them in stock.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Right now I know of 3 new Ultra owner and 2 of them got their 2009 out the door well under 20K!

I'm loyal to my Nomad, but if Harley could get close to pricing in the affordability range I might spend 18K out the door for one just because they are American made. Until then the Nomad is still, by far, the best deal on a touring cruiser out there!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #10

Our local dealership has cut staff a couple times over the last 6 months. Also, one of the local indy dealerships, specializing in HD resales and aftermarket stuff is closing its doors. They were big in the county for service and parts. Sorry to see them go.

The Kawasaki dealership south of here closed up back in December too.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #11

Poor little Harley Davidson. I see a trend with American Automakers happening. I can honestly see HD going the same route as GM, and that would not be a good thing. Feel sorry for the 1,000 employees, 11% of your workforce is a lot of people to loose. Good article: http://www.ajc.com/business/harley-davidson-deepens-cuts-as-2q-profit-tumbles-92459.html

My brother in-law is going today to purchase a 1200 Sportster Low for his first bike ever, and he has never ridden before. He just passed his safety course this past weekend. My father in-law is looking to purchase an Ultra Classic ($21,000) + tax, title, license, fees.

I can't see spending that much on something just because of the name, and to me that is all that HD is. I don't think there bikes are that great of quality, and they sure can't stand up to Japanese standards!

I'll stick with my Nomad, and continue to laugh at the numerous HD's I see broken down on the side of the road each summer.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Mega-Contributor

I don't dislike Harley-Davidson. I do dislike SOME of their loyal disciples who feel owning a Harley gives them some right to be rude, ignorant, and obnoxious, especially to those "less worthy" who choose to ride another brand. The same could be said about some people who drive Cadillacs or own iPods too, I suppose.

I certainly wish Harley-Davidson (the company) no ill will, because like it or not, they are the 800 pound gorilla in the cruiser/touring motorcycle market. What's good for H-D is good for all of us. They are a historic American company, like Ford, AT&T, United Airlines, or McDonalds. It would be a shame if they went under.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I don't dislike Harley-Davidson. I do dislike SOME of their loyal disciples who feel owning a Harley gives them some right to be rude, ignorant, and obnoxious, especially to those "less worthy" who choose to ride another brand. The same could be said about some people who drive Cadillacs or own iPods too, I suppose.
You must have read my mind. I love the motorcycle. I think it is one of the greatest things ever made by American hands. They are great to look at, they have offer a ton of options to make it your own, and you can buy just about anything you can think of to brag about it. I wish MaKaw would come out with the merchandising of shirts and things for the Nomad so I could show my love for the Nomad.

I feel bad for the workers but HD needs this type of thing from time to time to remind them that they are not selling gold bricks but hunks of steel.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney

I do hate to see this happen, but we are reaping this this nation that which we sowed.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
You must have read my mind. I love the motorcycle. I think it is one of the greatest things ever made by American hands. They are great to look at, they have offer a ton of options to make it your own, and you can buy just about anything you can think of to brag about it. I wish MaKaw would come out with the merchandising of shirts and things for the Nomad so I could show my love for the Nomad.

I feel bad for the workers but HD needs this type of thing from time to time to remind them that they are not selling gold bricks but hunks of steel.
+1 to you both.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC