Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #1

Opinions on shields from fairing owners

Hi all, I put a Tsukayu fairing (used) on my 07. It came with the short (5.5 inch from bolt to lip) screen (ala the HD road glide look). I've decided I am going to replace the shield with a larger one.
I had thought I'd get a standard HD 9-12 inch lite grey tint shield and those are available for $25-30 plus shipping. During my research I came across shields with the "recurve" or reverse lip features. I found a shield marketers called Long Ride and Clearview that offer those type shield for between $90-140 depending on size, tint and vents. Then I came across Cee Bailey and they offer a contoured & streamlined shield for about $100 that intrigues me.
Here's links to all 4. I am interested in your experiences with the stock style shield and any of these others or just your opinion.
stock style http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140349451686
Long ride http://harleyshields.com/shields/
Clearview http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=11
CeeBailey http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flhtssc_ws.html

Jmilucky and a couple others have been a big help in getting me this far, but just wondering if anyone else has experience with a particular style or with any of these brand or is aware of any other alternatives?
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

I use a 10" normal windshied and it works pretty good for me, if I ever do go to replace it I may look into the curved top edge shields, but I'll deal with that when the time comes. Most likely I'll replace it with the same type I have now.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I would like to put a tinted shield on mine. I currently have a 10" clear and it works pretty good for me. I may have to look at the recurved ones, but I don't know if I could justify the price difference when I don't have any problems with the straight.
Some people swear by the recurve shields, so they probably work.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the links Trosco. I got 10" clear and 5" smoked shields, both with recurves, for my Wide Open Customs fairing this summer. I really like the 10" one best, but the top is in my line of sight and the recurve can sometimes lead to odd reflections etc. in that portion of the shield. The 5" with recurve though seems to direct the wind and bugs right at about forehead level. :)

I am glad to see there are 9" and 8" ones available. I think one of those heights would be best for me. I am 5'11" tall and use a Mustang seat too, BTW.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Those sure are interesting shield designs.....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #6

From the Cee Bailey site:

"Our newly designed SSC windshield for the Electra Glide FLHT series is a radical departure from the original OEM style windshields."

I'd say. Not my cup of tea. I prefer the Light Grey or Medium Grey Long Ride Shield...but I need to buy a fairing first.
Rich

Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #7

Superduty, sent you this in a pm but for me and others; would you mind posting a couple measurements?
1. From the center mount hole if you went straight vertical (not meausuring along surface of shield) how high is the lip edge of your 10 inch shield?
2. Then from the center mount hole if you went straight back along the surface of the shield how long is it to the lip edge? Is that the 10 inch measure?
3. Then from the center mount hole if you went straight back horizontally (not along surface of shield) how far back is the lip edge from the bolt hole?
Thanks pardner!
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #8

1. 9.75 inches
2. 10.75 inches
3. 4.5 inches

The clear one is on the bike now, so measurements are close due to the trim strip betwen the fairing and shield. The shields are stamped as being made by Slipstreamer. On the smoked recurve one for example, it's marked as a 5 1/2 inch, but the measurement for #2 is actually 5 7/8 inches from center of center bolt hole to the top lip.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #9

Not withstanding a bit of trepidation (rksaw, some of me thinks it's pretty radical too) I just ordered a 12 inch lite gray SSC shield from CeeBailey.
I got to see some of the similar designs at a bike show this weekend and they look better in person. There were 2 that were Klock Werks Flare Shields (very similar to SSC) and one was a National Cycle V-Stream shield. And there were several Clearview and Long Ride recurve examples there also.
The more I looked the more their design made sense and their materials were the best in the group. So called em today, talked to the guy who runs the place and asked a million questions and decided. So after I get back from a week in NM-AZ-UT it will be waiting for me here. I'll post a pic or two when I get it on and then let everyone know how it works.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition