Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #1

Options for CB Radio

A number of friends ride Goldwings, Ventures and Harleys with CB radios. While it is old technology, I have been looking for options. Several recommended J&M but once I figured in the 2003 CB unit, lower connector, headset, CB antenna, etc., it blew my mind and budget.

Several years ago I used a $40 Maxon handheld with a mike over my shoulder and it worked fine as long as the next bike was within a half mile or so. I probaly still have it stowed away.

I would not mind having a headset that would work for CB and perhaps my iPod.

What has worked for others without braking the bank. I don't see myself using the CB that often and I don't need a passenger connection.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #2

Options for CB Radio

I agree with your thoughts regarding J&M's price, way too high for what it actually is. I anxiously wait to see what other options there are! Thanks for posting the question.
Gary

Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Options for CB Radio

The J&M may be pricey bit it is worth it. You can plumb in your iPod or other device to the system. I have an XM radio connected to mine. The headsets are outstanding with remarkable audio. Take your time to shop and you may be able to find a used one that someone is selling.

I recommend that you start saving your pennies because no matter what you come up with is going to cost a few bux to make the system useable on the MC. Good luck.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Options for CB Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
The J&M may be pricey bit it is worth it. You can plumb in your iPod or other device to the system. I have an XM radio connected to mine. The headsets are outstanding with remarkable audio. Take your time to shop and you may be able to find a used one that someone is selling.

I recommend that you start saving your pennies because no matter what you come up with is going to cost a few bux to make the system useable on the MC. Good luck.
Agreed. I have the J&M JMCB2003 unit on my Nomad and it works well. Fortunately for me, it was purchased a few years ago, so I already had it. It works well and the audio is very good. Like Idaho, I also have my XM radio hooked up to it. My only problem was where to put all the wiring. Unfortunately, there is not fairing to hide all of that stuff. But it works well.

I feel that the J&M unit, while spendy, is well worth the money in terms of quality and performance. By the time you buy the unit, handlebar mounting bracket and antenna, you will have just over $300.00 into it, but then, that's less than a nice chromed front lightbar unit or saddlebag rails.

For what it probably the best price for the radio, visit Sierra Electronics website at www.sierra-mc.com They are good folks to deal with. I've been doing business with them for years.

Just looked it up and Sierra shows the radio at $255.00 and the handlebar mount at $34.00. They didn't list the antenna, but you can choose from several different types and lengths.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Options for CB Radio

Thanks for the responses. It is all priorities for me and communicating by CB to other bikes is infrequent at best. I have the fairing, a connected ipod and a headset that works very well that I put together from spare parts.

The other issue is where you put all the gear. GPS, J&M water bottle!!

Thanks for the link to Sierra. There is lot of useful options there. I am going to call them Monday for ideas. Ther is another site, Clays radio shop that also deals a lot with J&M.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #6

Options for CB Radio

I took the picture of the mounting bracket and blew it up to the correct size, traced it out on a used handicap sign I had and cut it out with a jigsaw. Smoothed the edges and buffed it out. Saved $34 on the mounting bracket. I bought the J&M off of Ebay for $175 I think (Store display model) and bought the antenna from another rider for $20 and a new (used twice) Nolan helmet off of Ebay for $135 with the upper end headset installed. I went the Midland radio with the removable battery and cig lighter adapter and a IMC head set first, it worked OK but all of the guys I ride with have and use the J&M's. I still have the Midland setup if your interested.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #7

Options for CB Radio

Thanlks qmaster234. I dug out my Maxon/Midlands portable and, as you say it will porbably work but I will watch out for an eBay or Forum deal on a J&M. Yes the monting bracket is not a big deal. I fabricate so I am looking for options to mount and add a switch pod underneath or beside a J&M install.

Right now the switch pod that operates my driving lights and LEDs is under the clutch cyl and may have to move for the J&M.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Options for CB Radio

The J&M bracket mounts under the left side mirror arm, take off arm and put bracket in between.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Options for CB Radio

Check out this J&M radio on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JMCB-...Q5fAccessories
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Options for CB Radio

I just wish it was quickly detachable so I could keep it from oogling eyes that would want to steal it!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #11

Options for CB Radio

Yes that's an issue I had not really considered. I have rarely worried about that and I have quite a few accessories on the bike like Kury Highway pegs. I got an e-mail from a bud who rides an ST and he uses a Midlands portable but does use a frame mounted antenna. He actually prefers to use an FRS radio though and I don't know yet how he works that in to his mix.

I have the HD King Tour Pak and I guess I could try one of their antennas to see if it makes a difference. It's hard to justify the J&M with no passeger and few other times to use it much.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
VBA Founder

Options for CB Radio

I'm not one to think he knows everything... but I've already been down the "CB Evolution" road with my bikes.

I started using a handheld Cobra with headset hookup years ago and finally worked my way up to the J&M.

If I had known about the J&M and spent the money for it years ago, I would have saved alot of $$ and time. Take my word for it, you can rig up and use anything, but in the end, you'll be probably buying a J&M. It's the only add-on CB that gives me the quality and performance I expect.

As far as the antenna, I've used a bunch of them.....currently, I have a whip antenna with spring load mounted below my hard bags on the hard bag brace that runs across the back of my Nomad. Works great.

Idaho mentioned this but one of the things I like about the J&M is the extra hookup it has for other media. I currently play MP3's from my Garmin Zumo through my J&M and into my headset with surprisingly good sound.

Good luck.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #13

Options for CB Radio

Thanks Trip. My bud with the Venture came over today to talk CB and I have come to the same conclusion.

I was able to try 2 of his helmets. One had the Venture OEM headset and the other a Chatterbox headset that you can plug into the J&M lower cord. He has upgraded the Venture headset with different speakers he clipped off a Koss stereo headset.

The Aux connector opens up a whole set of options for a GPS, iPod as you said.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #14

Options for CB Radio

I bought the J&M 2003 today. I was looking for suggestions for a headset.

I need a HC-PJM lower cord and was looking at the HS-BCD279-UN for the headset. I looked at the shorty helmet solution but I figure I could adapt the universal for that if I wanted to. For the diff. in price I could probably have a 279UN for both my shorty and 3/4 HJC.

Any ideas or suggestions from others appreciated.

Trip, is there any way I could get a pic of how you mounted your antenna. My Blue Knight friend with the Venture has a garage full of stuff that I could use.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #15

Options for CB Radio

Thanks qmaster234.

I visited another friend today who now rides a Honda 1300ST who is a retired bike mechanic and long time Goldwing rider. He has the 2003CB on the ST AND a garage full of CB antennas, mounts, coax, adapters and, more important all the knowledge and experience I could ask for and a willingness to SHARE.

So now 2 buds with a garage full of CB stuff. BONUS.

Now I have a box of goodies and a good head start.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad