Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

helmet came off

Yellowstone National Park (ID,MT,WY)
Visitor Killed In Motorcycle Accident

A motorcycle accident last Saturday afternoon in the northeast section of the park claimed the life of an Illinois man. Jay Fitzgerald, 53, and two companions had rented motorcycles for a loop trip from Belgrade, Montana, through the park, over the Beartooth Pass, and back. Fitzgerald was trailing the other two riders as they headed east into the Lamar Canyon when his Harley-Davidson struck a rock wall at the east end of the canyon. While the motorcycle remained on the road, Fitzgerald went over the rock wall and down an embankment. There were no witnesses to the accident.

Fitzgerald was unconscious and not breathing when bystanders reached him. The helmet he was wearing had come off, and he suffered severe head trauma. He was declared dead at the scene. [Submitted by Al Nash, Public Affairs Officer]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #2

helmet came off

A helmet will only keep your egg from scrambling if its good quality, fitted snug to your head and properly fastened. I've had three mc accidents and all three times my helmet never came off and gave up it's life to keep my brain from damage (though some may argue with that! ::))

VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #3

helmet came off

It sounds like he might have been riding a little outside his abilities and experience or there was some kind of mechanical problem.
I have seen people that wear helmets loosely strapped so they are easier to get on and off.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
helmet came off

Probably not an experienced rider. Helmet probably not secured properly and may have been too large. Hate to hear stories like this.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #5

helmet came off

It may have been loosely strapped to be able to take it on and off to take pictures or for whatever reason. I did it yesterday myslef.

I was riding right in the heart of downtown Denver at rush hour. This is on city streets, right in the heart of the tall buildings downtown, on 30mph streets. Because it was rush hour, the waits at lights were long, it was 100 degrees. Once traffic was stopped, and becasue it would take 2-3 light cycles to get through each block, I took my helmet off till traffic moved.

On the last go around before traffic started moving at regular speed, due to getting out of the heart of downtown, the light changed before I got it strapped. I forgot to strap it once I got moving. If I had gotten in a crash, the helmet would have gone flying off my head.

Don't know what this guys reason was, but it proved fatal. Sweating in a full-face helmet in stopped traffic would have been preferable to what I was doing if I had been the one getting in a wreck.

If it was strapped(all the cops have to do is look) then perhaps it was a rental helmet from the bike rental, and they only had one left that day that was too large for him?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
helmet came off

Shame on you Dan!! you button up that melon of yours tightly!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #7

helmet came off

Might of been one of those beanie type helmets that barley cover the top of the noggin anyways....the type that I see lots of harley riders wear for the look.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #8

helmet came off

Might of been one of those beanie type helmets that barley cover the top of the noggin anyways....the type that I see lots of harley riders wear for the look.
Kawanow Member #23

Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #9

helmet came off

Kawanow Member #23

Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #10

helmet came off

well lets start this off the right way , first thing is if the led don't fit right it won't protect your noodle , and if you don't strap it right it won't protect your noodle, if you land wrong it will snap your neck ,if you are riding like a bat out of hell it won't protect you . now those little leds you see harley rider wearing are lighter than most legal leds will protect you noodle unless you wear them like i describe earlyer so you see the led can help you or it can hurt you . there is nothing going to protect your noodle if it hits the pavement going over 15 mph anyway so people can blame the type of leds you wear but the truth is when its your time to go its your time to go so i just hope you have all your ducks in a role .

Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #11

helmet came off

Stump,

" if you land wrong it will snap your neck" Just curious and no offense intended. I'm around allot of motorcyclist on a regular basis and have heard this come up from time to time. Do you have evidence of this statement or is this a repeated yet unverified claim?

Regards,
VBA #60
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Black

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #12

helmet came off

Like JStewart, I'd like to know that fact too. I can't imagine a helmet snapping your neck but you never know. I do agree, if it doesn't fit right or isn't fastened it won't provide the protection it should. anything over 15mph won't protect...I've seen people hit their heads and suffer serious injury, and not be moving.

vin