Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #1

Please Take No offense!!

This forum is great and as a newbie to the Nomad and the forum it is a very valuable resource. However I shudder every time I read a thread header about a motorcycle accident. It is sad; horrible; dis hearting; etc.. I personally don't want to read about an others tragedy and misfortunes and that's why I don't open the thread. Enough negative is going on in the local/national news as it is. The report of accidents are generally inaccurate and shade no light to any constructive learning curve to us; except sadness and most the time anger. I would assume most of us by now have been introduced/informed one way or another to wearing helmets; protection gear; following to close; passing on curves; deer alerts; under inflated tires; overloaded bikes; drunk drivers; on coming traffic; drinking and riding a scooter; on and on.. and still doesn't change the accident ratio. S--t happens and always will. I just don't want to be reminded of it on a forum I would assume intended for motorcycle related topics. Please don't take offense to this and may want to call me not a realist; but as a previous firefighter and at the scene medic care taker; I have both on and off duty witnessed a few motorcycle accidents minor and fatal. Don't want to start a S - - T storm here; but can we keep the negative to scooter problems;etc.. ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Please Take No offense!!

You have a valid point, however this debate comes up from time to time and in the past we have felt these "downed rider" stories serve to remind us of the everyday risks we face as riders, and that you must never become complacent while riding.

As you said: "I personally don't want to read about an others tragedy and misfortunes and that's why I don't open the thread.". That's good advice for anyone. Don't want to/care to read about something that you don't like? Then don't.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #3

Please Take No offense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpenn1

Don't want to start a S - - T storm here; but can we keep the negative to scooter problems;etc.. ?
We don't do sh*t storms here much. We're pretty easy going. I'm sure you won't get a consensus to not post about strangers motorcycle crashes, and it'll keep happening. Your best strategy as you know is to just not be curious and open them.

I find it a tiny bit helpful to read them. It puts something that I already know a little more to the fore of my mind for that day. As a responder with plenty of pictures in your head to draw from, I can understand that you need no extra help to bring those images up, so don't look.

I find it strange that people offer condolences to the families. The story is about complete strangers, none of the family will ever know that an obscure motorcycle site offered condolences, so what does it accomplish. Same with the prayers. I'm not so religious, but does God really treat families of tragedies better if some Nomad owners ask him for it, and they would be treated less well by God if some Nomad owners didn't pray? Seems like if a bunch of strangers who have nothing to do with a story of family prays, and it helps them, then posting on Chinese web sites would be the way to go. Get a million strangers praying, not a handful of Nomad guys.

The point I'm making is that you don't have to understand it, agree with it, or like it. If other enjoy it, let them have their enjoyment.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #4

Please Take No offense!!

Let me get my old clothes on if there is going to be a sh#t storm. ;)

I just don't read ones that I don't think I want to...which are most of the ones by Dan! J/K Dan. Don't throw pooh at me until I have protective garb on. :)
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 06-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Please Take No offense!!

I think part of the reason may be for the motorcycle riding community to be ever vigilant in making legislators, judges, and law enforcement community enforce the laws for the protection of everyone, including motorcyclists.

Mike Bryant "CarolinaKid"

2007 Candy Red/Titanium Nomad
VBA # 1203
AMA # 1088875
VROC # 30589
Patriot Guard

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #6

Please Take No offense!!

As tragic as it is reading about someones misfortune, its possible we may be able to learn from their mistakes and make others better prepared for some situations if they should arise.
I know Ive learned a few things from seeing what happens in different scenarios. Hopefully someone reading about something may become aware of how things come to happen, and will be able to avoid them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #7

Please Take No offense!!

First rule is... don't open the posts if you think it is something you don't want to read. Most are fairly plain to see the content, and now with the new cursor overlay text-visual you can see what the post is about... somewhat.

Secondly; I agree with Dan in that there are lessons learned with this information.

With you having been in the emergency-field; I am sure you rehearsed; learned; and saw (in training) a lot of scenarios whereby your safety, and your team's safety was improved because you were exposed to that type of knowledge and information.

You may be alive today because of reviews of this type of information. Certainly, I would assume, your safety wasn't diminished because of your, or your team's exposure to this type of information.

I believe these posts are extremely valuable to the riding community in helping people learn from others mistakes; and if nothing more -- it is a stark reminder to the inherent danger of what we love to do.

These posts help to deter complacency. It could be possible someone on this forum didn't tailgate as much after reading a post; or decided to look at the traffic around them in a more diligent manner after reading a post. Who knows...

But one thing I am most assured of... no one was physically injured by reading a post about a riding accident.

Dangers can be diminished, if not mitigated, with knowledge, and constant reminders to improve awareness.

Regarding Dan's "other thoughts" on these types of posts... well, that is thread for the non-Nomad board. :)

Please don't take offense to my response -- as I did not take offense to yours. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

Please Take No offense!!

I think they should be posted in the MC Safety section not in this section.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #9

Please Take No offense!!

Agreed.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #10

Please Take No offense!!

You have a very good point. If I read them, I'm looking for what I can learn about what went wrong and if there is something I can learn from it. Otherwise, it's just negitive/bad news that leaves me not feeling good about things - but does keep it real and always riding like I'm invisible. $h!t does happen, and if you aren't prepaired for it you run the danger of getting it all over you too.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx

Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #11

Please Take No offense!!

I too, hate to read about bike accidents, but I am interested in the facts as to what caused the carnage to happen in the first place. Investigating accidents and educating the masses will normally create a reduction in most accidents. I think educating yourself about these outcomes is a huge benefit.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Please Take No offense!!

I do read all the accident threads, not because I enjoy it but it does tend to increase my knowledge of what to do and what not to do in certain circumstances.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Please Take No offense!!

I agree whole heartedly and have commented on it before. We all know our hobby dangerous and I sure don't need to be reminded every time I look at my favorite forum.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Please Take No offense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob
I agree. Unfortunately, a lot of members dump everything in this section, regardless of content.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #15

Please Take No offense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob
I agree. Unfortunately, a lot of members dump everything in this section, regardless of content.
I have a kitten for sale if anyone wants it, pm me. ;)
VBA #1051 (Former President)