Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #1

Dangerous water ?

I would like to know how many of you guys use a car wash
high pressure cleaning solution for cleaning the bike after a
long dusty ride.
I know it's not recommended because of possible electrical
system issues,but I always did it with my former bikes and never
had any problems,as long as I took an immidiate ride after to
properly dry the bike by wind.

Actually..I plan to do it tomorrow because it's very nessessary.
Cleaning this way will save me a lot of time..no doubt.
But I would like to hear your opinion first.
So please..how dangerous exactly is it?
Don't want to end up with some dead bike or something.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #2

Dangerous water ?

I have done it with a couple of my other bikes, but Im very carefull about where I point the wand and how close I am to certain parts.
Its great for the lower part of the motor and wheels, but be carefull around the top of the bike.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Dangerous water ?

If you keep bak a bit , it isn't that big a deal unless you soak the expose air filter a bit too much if you have them, and or the fill the plug wells. Don't.

Keep back a bit on the engine black paint too. It lifts pretty easy. The area near the oil filler plug on my bike keeps peeling off black paint. I just use a bottle touch up there, but the metal below isn't paint friendly a bit.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
Dangerous water ?

I've never used a pressure hose, only done it by hand.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Dangerous water ?

Hand only here as well. The hand wash is free compared to the $2 for the car wash.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Dangerous water ?

I've never had to hand wash my bike... It never get dirty enough that I need to take a hose to it..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

Dangerous water ?

Hand wash only.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #8

Dangerous water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I've never had to hand wash my bike... It never get dirty enough that I need to take a hose to it..
You must live on some other planet then.
I certainly need to clean the beast.
The easy way..that's why.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #9

Dangerous water ?

I ride dirt roads a lot, but the worst is the baked on road spray from riding in the rain.

I almost always use a car wash. I've done it with all my Nomads. I put 63,000 miles on my first Nomad, so if "car wash" problems were going to surface, that should be long enough for problems to start showing. None ever did.

I don't spray near bearings, like the axles and steering stem. I spray near them, but not at them. I don't spray a full stream at the electrical switches or speedo housing spark plugs etc. Though I do spay the low pressure spot free rinse on them without worrying, other than the spark plugs.

I don't ever use the brush. I don't ever use that sand infested paint remover on cars or anything, I just use the spray wand.

If it has the super soap I put the money in, then use the rinse water that was left in the hose to spray the pipes to cool them while waiting for the soap to reach the wand. Then when the soap gets there I hit the windshield and front bits first to let the bugs marinate. After getting the rest of the bike really good, I skip wash and go straight to the high pressure rinse. I use the rinse to blast the dirt off getting the windshield and front chrome last, then go to the spot free rinse. Be sure to cover the whole bike, behind the windshield and everywhere and you won't have any spots anywhere.

That's the routine I've done with all my bikes, and even with high miles I've never had a problem with my paint, bearings, electrical or anything.

For those who only hand wash, if you enjoy it great. It's a good way to spot damage or loose bits because you are touching everything. I'm mostly just lazy. I love having a clean bike, and it takes 4 minutes start to finish to have a completely clean bike.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #10

Dangerous water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I have done it with a couple of my other bikes, but Im very carefull about where I point the wand and how close I am to certain parts.
Its great for the lower part of the motor and wheels, but be carefull around the top of the bike.
That's the best comment so far..
Avoid critical areas is common sense.
Good..who's next?
Because..I think it's an important time and work
saving issue.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #11

Dangerous water ?

I have only used the car wash a few times, but it is only after riding in the rain. Like others have said, just don't get too close with the wand, especially on the engine and other electrical areas, AND the radiator cooling fins.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #12

Dangerous water ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I ride dirt roads a lot, but the worst is the baked on road spray from riding in the rain.

I almost always use a car wash. I've done it with all my Nomads. I put 63,000 miles on my first Nomad, so if "car wash" problems were going to surface, that should be long enough for problems to start showing. None ever did.

I don't spray near bearings, like the axles and steering stem. I spray near them, but not at them. I don't spray a full stream at the electrical switches or speedo housing spark plugs etc. Though I do spay the low pressure spot free rinse on them without worrying, other than the spark plugs.

I don't ever use the brush. I don't ever use that sand infested paint remover on cars or anything, I just use the spray wand.

If it has the super soap I put the money in, then use the rinse water that was left in the hose to spray the pipes to cool them while waiting for the soap to reach the wand. Then when the soap gets there I hit the windshield and front bits first to let the bugs marinate. After getting the rest of the bike really good, I skip wash and go straight to the high pressure rinse. I use the rinse to blast the dirt off getting the windshield and front chrome last, then go to the spot free rinse. Be sure to cover the whole bike, behind the windshield and everywhere and you won't have any spots anywhere.

That's the routine I've done with all my bikes, and even with high miles I've never had a problem with my paint, bearings, electrical or anything.

For those who only hand wash, if you enjoy it great. It's a good way to spot damage or loose bits because you are touching everything. I'm mostly just lazy. I love having a clean bike, and it takes 4 minutes start to finish to have a completely clean bike.
That one is even better!
Thx..very much.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #13

Dangerous water ?

I go the hand wash way. Bike on lift, bags off, detailing brush. Use hot water and dish soap. Then I use a leaf blower to air dry the bike followed by a quick clean cloth on the chrome and wax the paint every other washing.
Takes about 45 minutes each time but I like a clean bike and I live in a heavy salt spray area. Also I can inspect everything as I go.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 07-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Dangerous water ?

Used a garden hose a couple of times but haven't felt a need for the high pressure car wash.

Mostly use the "detail" spray bottle stuff and lemon Pledge.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #15

Dangerous water ?

The easy way is to get some Bike Brite cover the bike with it and then rinse it off and dry it with a leaf blower.