Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #1

Front end help...

So, I have this little problem with the front end on the bike getting loose. I started getting a little cupping on the front tire and wobble from the front end so I tightened the nut with a hammer and a punch. Put it back together and it got loose again. I didn't get it tight enough with the punch so, I tried to make a tool from the 36 mm socket. It didn't turn out that great but did get the nut good and tight before it broke. I put it back together and the front end felt solid for a couple of days. Now it seems like every day that I ride it the front end gets a little looser. I have to go back in and try and tighten it again... anyone have any ideas why it keep coming loose? I have the two prong locking washer but I don't quite understand how it actually locks the nut. The little black rubber ring was kind of beat when I put it back on last time so I have a new one to put in there now. I don't think that is what holds the lock washer in place though.
Should I be setting the nut with the front tire on the ground?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Front end help...

Wish I knew what to tell you. I have been fortunate with my Nomad. The original tires never cupped and I got 10,996 miles on the front tire and 9,523 miles on the rear tire. That was the Bridgestones. I think the front tire will cup regardless of how tight the nut is tightened. That is just the nature of the tires themselves or at least I think so. I sent you a PM.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #3

Front end help...

Check that the two prong lock washer is in properly, and not broken, and that the top triple tree clamp is sitting all the way down where it supposed to. Something sounds like its not together or seating properly. Make sure the threads are not stripped in the goose neck also, this would cause the nut to bounce back up after a few bumps on the road, making the steering loose again. You could try some blue loc tite to see if that helps hols the nuts in place.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Front end help...

Do the forks turn smooth and easy? And year the ft forks should be shoved up pretty well to tighten. Then tested.

Have you SEEN the Bearings, added grease?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #5

Front end help...

The forks do turn smooth and easy with no noise or bumps. I'm just trying to get through the rest of the riding season then I plan on tearing it apart over the crappy cold months. I only have 10,000 miles on it...
The first time I adjusted the front it was so loose that it would swing back to center when I push it to the stops and let go of the bars (when up on the lift). The second time it wasn't quite as bad but still loose. Now this being the third time I have yet to see how it is on the motorcycle lift. I will be checking tonight after work... so should I tighten it while on the ground this time?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #6

Front end help...

Id tighten it with the wheel of the ground. Youll have a much better feel for adjustment.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Front end help...

You can use the lift, but block the ft wheel up hard to snug the nut, then test with out a block.

Still loose drive in another block, just don't tip the lift over.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #8

Front end help...

I see 2 potential issues. First the loose steering. Adjustment should be done with the wheel off the ground. I adjust by "feel", meaning I tighten the nut until the handle bars will slowly move to the left or right when given a push, not just flop over. Also, after adjustment, pull fore and aft on the forks to check for any play. Grease the bearing this winter.

Secondly, the cupping. You say there is only 10K on the clock. I always measure the amount of oil drained out on the first change. In the past I have found unequal amounts of factory installed oil, this can cause cupping. Be sure to use an oil level tool when doing a fork oil change. You not only want the correct amount of replacement oil but also equal amounts in each fork. Good luck.