Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Advanced Member

A tad d*ckish there, Victory rider

Riding yesterday and something happened that impressed me as bad protocol, so I'm appealing to you, the dispassionate, always-reasoned, fellow Nomad riders.

As I was leaving a small town, I noticed another cruiser had fallen in behind me. The 10 miles to the next town is a 2 lane, 55mph stretch with no lights/stop signs. Most of the time, the practical limit is right around 65. Yesterday must have been "adhere to the posted limit" day.

As soon as I had seen the following cruiser, I moved into a staggered, lead position, and he took the offer and staggered to the right. Yesterday was such a great riding day that following cars at the posted limit was, well, frustrating, so I passed at every opportunity. The cruiser behind kept pace very well, and I was impressed.

As we got to the next town, we eventually hit a red light. I pulled well to the left in my lane, offering room if he wanted to pull up and talk. He did. His was a Victory something or other, and he was decked out in Victory emblems. I flipped up my Skorpion visor. He said something about the weather, so we did innocuous chat. I nodded to his bike and asked if he was going to the Victory shop on the east side of town. He said yes, and I asked if he was just shopping or ... and the light began to change. I didn't get to tell him that I have a Victory Touring Cruiser deluxe in my garage that I'll eventually restore.

The light turned green and, I began pulling out in a normal pace. We were in-town now, speeding up to 40 is pointless. He took off as if we were somehow engaged in a drag race. I followed him for a bit, feeling that he had violated unwritten etiquette. So, I used my commuting smarts to pick lanes and moved ahead of him--solely for the purpose of giving a glance intended to imply, "That was kind of rude there, slick." He wouldn't have been able to tell anything with my visor down, so it was just me yielding to a little alpha-ish call-of-the-wild.

What say ye? Is there such an etiquette?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #2

I never see it that way when it happens to me. As long as they don't pull in front and then slow down to hold me back I don't care who is leading. When we are travelling a little quicker I like it when someone else leads.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I never see it that way when it happens to me. As long as they don't pull in front and then slow down to hold me back I don't care who is leading. When we are travelling a little quicker I like it when someone else leads.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

While he followed on the two lane I would say that once you hit town with the red light all bets were off. No etiquette, no code. Go your own way. I am usually amazed that some of those guys don't get pasted by a cage because they drive too fast in town.

VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Advanced Member

In town is the last place to get in a hurry. Too much happens too fast.
As far as the Victory guy, I would let it go, to each their own.
If he was trying to prove something, oh well, as long as it doesn't endanger me.
Whether motorcycles or cages, I have gotten caught up in tit-for-tat posturing through traffic but in the end it's not worth the risks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

No harm, no foul. He was not your buddy, just some random rider that fate put behind you at a light. He owes you nothing, you owe him nothing. He was free to break away at any time, as were you.

I've done it myself when some weirdo has pulled up alongside me at a light and just gave me a weird vibe. Eat my dust, sucker!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #7

I try to be respectful to other bikers and I have rode bikes for nearly 50 years. But, biker etiquette is not some thing I know much about. (Several years ago, I was stunned to read on this forum that having my rear running boards down without a passenger somehow meant something).

Anyway, maybe the Victory rider doesn't have a clue either and did not mean to screw it up. I am wondering now when I have made the same mistake.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Wow, wait a minute.

BillMac, what are you saying "(Several years ago, I was stunned to read on this forum that having my rear running boards down without a passenger somehow meant something)"

I must be in the dark, as you were. I'm inferring by your statement that leaving the riders foot pegs down, means I'm from California or something?

Who comes up with this stuff? I must be out of the loop, never heard anything about that.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Untwist your undies!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #10

30+ years ago an old 'Real Biker' told me "if you have to prove it runs, it probably doesn't". I always giggle at folks riding a 'Lead Sled', like I do, or a mo-ped sized bike that take off like their in a drag race. They make a lot of noise and I can watch them make it for a very very looong time. Some how I think they are trying to prove their manhood or that they are really bad and dangerous. This is the opinion of a fella that pulls off a stop like an old man on a very comfortable bike, which in all honesty, I am. I bought comfort and dependable, and ride like that most of the time. I think, SOME TIMES, rider etiquette shows a lot of a riders self image. And some times a fella is just having a little extra fun. A little sidewalk psyc for free :-0.
Thanks for your time

Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #11

I don't see what he did as being a problem.

If you gave him the opportunity to pull-up next to you at a light... you also gave him "permission" to move out ahead of you at the green light. It is common courtesy if you feel the other rider would like to get ahead of you. Just my opinion and how I have seen it occur plenty of times.

Next time park in the middle of the lane... that says "I am not letting you around me at this light". If they pass you off the starting-line then... they are the ass... ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
I don't see what he did as being a problem.

If you gave him the opportunity to pull-up next to you at a light... you also gave him "permission" to move out ahead of you at the green light. It is common courtesy if you feel the other rider would like to get ahead of you. Just my opinion and how I have seen it occur plenty of times.

Next time park in the middle of the lane... that says "I am not letting you around me at this light". If they pass you off the starting-line then... they are the ass... ;)

This is the way I was raised too. ;)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

If you see me riding with the rear boards down it means the B itch fell off!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
No harm, no foul. He was not your buddy, just some random rider that fate put behind you at a light. He owes you nothing, you owe him nothing. He was free to break away at any time, as were you.

I've done it myself when some weirdo has pulled up alongside me at a light and just gave me a weird vibe. Eat my dust, sucker!
Unless of course they have a quicker bike.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
Wow, wait a minute.

BillMac, what are you saying "(Several years ago, I was stunned to read on this forum that having my rear running boards down without a passenger somehow meant something)"

I must be in the dark, as you were. I'm inferring by your statement that leaving the riders foot pegs down, means I'm from California or something?

Who comes up with this stuff? I must be out of the loop, never heard anything about that.
I remember reading that, having your rear running boards down was somehow paying respects to a fallen rider. I had never heard of it, so my wife and I discussed the post. I told her that I was not going to worry about those rear running boards and who notices them anyway.

Maybe some other riders have heard of the supposed tradition or remember the discussion. I tried to run a search without any luck.

Now if I see macmac with rear running boards down and no rider, I will know.