Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Uh oh I think log failed. Trip interrupted

Cruising along at 70 and I hear what sounds like tapping valves. Not loud but I can hear it. Pull over, oil good. Take off and only hear it when under load. Keeping an eye on idiots lights. Suddenly my oil light comes on and stays on. Shut off motor and pull to exit ramp.

Oil light stays on, oil is in it, bike will start and run but little worries about possible pog. Dealer ran number and told me it was replaced before I bought the used bike. Talking to guy this morning he ran it and is waiting for sister dealership to verify it. He told me that as long as I shut off motor I can replace with steel gear. He also told me it could be the sending unit.

Looking at worse case scenario.

Afraid to run bike if it is pog. Towing bike (AAA) back to Albuquerque as I would rather be safe then sorry.

What I need is information on the steel gear. Called a jog I think. I need price and contact info on how to get one FAST as I can overnight it and not miss rally.

Sucks as I had a GREAT day of riding yesterday.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Your oil pump could have gone bad without the updated POG... Pumps do go out..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Oh, that sucks. I hope you can get it back on the road quickly. Bob "Judge" Oglesby is known to be hard to get hold of, as he travels a lot for work. I found this info on VROC:

Contact Bob Oglesby to purchase the Judge Oil pump gear (JOG)

Home telephone: 706.769.8603
Cellphone: 706.202.2233 (Leave a message)
Email: rcoglesby56@hotmail.com

Due to Bob's work schedule and intermittent internet access, the preferred method
of contact is to call his cellphone and leave a message. At times he works in secure
environments where he cannot use his cellphone, so, it is important to leave a message.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

Thanks jack I talked to him. Answered his phone quick :-)

I will know more tomorrow. Dealer in Tampa had done the jog before. The Albuquerque hasn't even heard of it. The Tampa dealer told me they can call him he will walk them through it

Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

You should definately verify that the oil gear is still spinning. If you take off the RH engine case you will be able to see it and determine if it is plastic or steel, and if it can turn by cranking the motor over with the spark pplugs disconnected.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Here's a link to a VROC page that has links to step-by-step instructions for replacing the oil gear.

http://www.vroc.org/faq/jopg/jopg.html
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canedriver
Thanks jack I talked to him. Answered his phone quick :-)

I will know more tomorrow. Dealer in Tampa had done the jog before. The Albuquerque hasn't even heard of it. The Tampa dealer told me they can call him he will walk them through it
That's not a good visual.... :-/. Hope you can get it fixed quick and back on the road soon!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #8

Thanks Cactus I have emailed that link to the dealer. I will know more tomorrow. Goin to be raped on labor. They charge $98 per hour here. It's only 64 at my local dealer in Tampa. Guy in Tampa told me he only charges $200 to install the kit. Will find out tomorrow if I can continue on.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Damn. Good thoughts for tomorrow.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #10

Damn it if you are not having the worse luck on this trip. Let's hope this is it and the remainder of the trip goes OK for you. Are you coming through Southern California?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #11

Wow! Sorry to hear about your hold up! Good luck!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #12

Hope it's only the sending unit or a shorted wire. Best of luck getting back on the road
VBA # 1234
VROC # 32837
Patriot Guard Riders
Naval Advisory Group Vietnam 69-70

Old 08-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #13

hope to see you in crescent city,good luck.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Any news on your bike??
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #15

Update time. Again sorry for typos. Working on iPhone keypad sucks to say the least.

I have spent the better part of the day at dealer on phone coordinating repair with Bob "Judge" maker of the steel oil gear and Mark Cahill owner of Cahill's Kawasaki in Tampa, FL. Wouldn't you know I am at a dealer that had never heard of the steel gear fix.

Bob was gracious enough to go out of his way to rush the part to fed ex which will be delivered tomorrow morning. He also got on phone with dealer to question him on diagnosis and repair. I had to get a clutch gasket fed exed in which was pricey bur goal is to get back on road ASAP. Bob you have my thanks for all of your help, you went above and beyond.

Dealer was still iffy on repairing it this way. This is where having a relationship with a dealer paid off. Mark Cahill the owner of the Kawasaki in Tampa also talked with this dealer and explained the process. Thank you Mark, this just affirms the many reasons why I continue to deal with your dealership.

I should be on rd no later then Saturday evening. I am hoping for tomorrow as I am still 1500 miles from crescent city. At this point I will still be there but I can't afford many more of these repairs.

Now the crappy part. Towing

I am a AAA motorcycle premier member. I was told one time per year I am entitled to a 200 mile tow. Where I broke down was 199 miles from flagstaff and 154 miles from this dealer. If you go to website listed on my AAA card it states the one time 200 mile tow as well. Turns out this is NOT TRUE so thanks AAA for the bait and switch on your motorcycle benefits.

They dispatch a towing company from Gallup, NM called A1 towing. They call me to verify breakdown point. They call me back to inform me I am entitled only to a 100 mile tow NOT the 200 me tow. (originally I was going to flagstaff so I wouldn't backtrack) I call AAA who confirms this and I give the go ahead for the tow to flagstaff. Tow company calls me back to inform me that anything over the 100 miles will be charged $5.00 per mile.

When I balked at that cost and stated that it was highway robbery the tow company informed me that if I knew so much about the cost of operating a trucking company I was more then welcome to buy a truck, pay for insurance, and hire a driver. I told him thanks for the business tip as I did that X38 and had owned a 38 truck operation. I then politely told him to piss off and hung up.

At this point I googled companies in that area. Route 66 towing out of Grants, NM oh charges $2.00 mile and accept AAA. I call AAA back and explain situation and specifically request route 66 towing. 1 hour later I am on a truck headed back here.

While talking to AAA the operator said let me check something. They called A1 towing and acted like a motorist broken down. Turns out A1 towing only charges $4 per mile standard BUT if you have AAA they charge $5. Oooopsies AAA was NOT happy about that and will be following up on it.

Thanks A1 for trying to take advantage if motorist who are broken down. I hope you lose your AAA contract.

My question for AAA is why you charge more for motorcycle coverage but limit the benefit. While it does require a rollback to tow, the bike is lighter then a car so less actual expense for tow company. I verified with tow company they do not charge more for towing a bike. It is the same rate as a car. I will not be signing back up with AAA.

So that's the update and what's been going on. Thank you for the people who have PMed me offering help even though you are several hundred miles away. It is appreciated. To the well wishers on the board thank you.

To end this it wouldn't be a Canedriver post without inserting political humor.

I BLAME OBAMA