Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #1

FLORIDA KEYS

Have any of you ever biked the keys? I was considering taking a vaca in Feb down there and was considering shipping the bike to Florida. any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Top Contributor

FLORIDA KEYS

No, but I drove A1A all the way down a couple years ago in a convertible and one of my goals is to do that on the bike..

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #3

FLORIDA KEYS

I've ridden cross country, coast to coast, before but never the keys. I definitely have to do it. It has to be a great ride. Probably need to avoid holidays and weekends.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Advanced Member

FLORIDA KEYS

The keys have just about everything you may want to do. Fishing charters, dive charters, lots of bars and places to eat too. Key West has history buffs entertained and the people wandering around can entertain as well. There is a large bike run ( and I THINK it is in Sept...but not sure) and the ride can be nice. Do your hotel research as it can be expensive. We go to Key West during the day and walk around & have a lunch in one of the many cafe's. The night gets a little more than we are used to, so we mosey back. Where do we stay? Islomarada. Look for the Hampton Inn not far from Bahia Honda State Park. It's about 3-4 miles away and a hour from Key West. Nice area, spend the DAY at Bahia Honda at the beach! For 3 bucks!!!!!!!!!
If you go to the beach in the park, take the road to the north and follow it to the end. Walk out to the beach and then follow it north to the curve back to A1A. Why??? Because this area is just like the Corona Beer ads, Trees, sand cool water flowing through the horizon. BTW, being a former Vought Aircraft employee, it was cool to be relaxing on the beach and watch the US Air Force fly right over you in a C-17 cargo plane. Cool.
It's nice.
The 7 mile bridge is kind of cool too. Yes it IS 7 miles over the water. Do as much reading as you can before you go; Flagler Railroad, Tom Edison house. .
Warning!!! When the signs say 35 MPH because of the Key Deers... SLOW THE HECK DOWN NOW. They will bust you for speeding.
Cops. Well, We are not partyers so I can't tell you much there. Most people I know say, enjoy yourself, but step out of line and they will enforce the laws on the books. ie, the people I know that go for the bike run have had a great time and not gone to jail. Just don't be stupid.
I also recommend the Conch House in in Islomarada for great Conch. Salad, fritters, chowder and cracked conch dinner. Ive eaten a lot of conch in my 47 years; it is always awesome. And buy a WHOLE Key Lime Pie. Not a slice. Whole. Yummy.
Anyway, its a long, 35 - 55 MPH ride and traffic can be thick. Fri Sat and Sun are bad.
Be careful and use sunscreen.
Enjoy, Don & Donna
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

FLORIDA KEYS

sorry to take so long to get back to you but thansk very much for the info. I think it's almost certain we will go in Jan or Feb. Not sure if it make sense to ship the bike down or rent somewhere in Florida. anyone have any advice on shipping or renting?

Login or Register to Remove Ads