Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Cobra FI2000 PowrPro Tuner

I have read the forums looking for feedback on the various DFI tuners. Often, the installation of a tuner is concurrent with other modifications like induction and exhaust, so it becomes difficult to gauge the value of any one modification. I decided to give the Cobra auto-tuning FI2000 PowrPro a try, with the cooperation of my local Kawasaki dealer who agreed to take it back if I did not like it. I like the theory of using a data stream to continuously adjust the fuel/air ratio. Of course, it's all theory until you bolt it on and drive it.

I have a 2012 Voyager ABS. I decided to do a same day before and after test of the device, and collect what data that I could. I picked a 5-mile stretch of interstate where I could establish the bike at 70 mph with cruise control, then reset the factory MPG meter. I was lucky and did not have to brake, accelerate, or disconnect the cruise control during either the before or after test. The terrain is relatively flat with no net change in elevation over the course.

Results before, stock 2012 Voyager (no performance mods):
70 mph / 2500 RPM / 80-degrees F / Coolant Temp gauge 66% (4th mark)
Gas mileage 43.2 mpg

Results after installation of FI2000PP (no other performance mods):
70 mph / 2500 RPM / 85-degrees F / Coolant Temp gauge 66% (4th mark)
Gas mileage 46.9 mpg

My subjective impressions from riding the bike around town and on the road:
1) Noticeably smoother low rpm throttle response.
2) Exhaust decel backfiring, which was not bad, is pretty much gone.
3) My bike has 350 miles on it, so I am still in the break-in period and did not do any open throttle power tests or revs higher than 3000.

Installation took less than one hour. The instructions call for only raising the rear of the tank, but I removed it to have better access. It is truly plug-n-play... no wiring except a lead back to the battery neg terminal.

I plan on doing other performance mods. I have RACNRAY's throttle mod, and induction kit to install. Will probably put on Cobra tri-ovals too. Definitely going to wrap the exhaust pipes to control heat. I also ordered a Speedohealer (which is not plug-n-play for the Vulcan 1700) to correct the speedometer/odometer calibration - it's reads approx 7% high at highway speeds according to GPS. Annoying.

So far, I like the device. Don't notice any downside, but its very early in my evaluation. Would appreciate hearing results others have had. Assuming I keep it, I will update as other mods are added to the mix.

As a new member, I really appreciate these forums as an archival resource. Thanks all.
Mustang seat w/backrest
Wolo Bad Boy air horn
Kuryakyn isogrips w/Racnray throttle mod
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro DFI tuner
Max & Willie "Hooker"
SpeedoHealer
"Our worth is measured in the value we bring to others."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Advanced Member

thanks for sharing your experience with the cobra "auto tuning" unit. I have already added the cobra slip on pipes and was thinking when i get ready to add a air intake that I would probably go with that cobra unit you're talking about.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I have the Cobra CVT. Nothing bad to say about it. With Chucksters BAK my 2010 Voyager with stock mufflers now pulls like a freight train. Much better than stock.

Last edited by redjay; 09-18-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

Added Thunder air kit

Installed Thunder Air kit. The Cobra powrPro autotuner adjusted itself nicely and results are very positive. Also installed racnray's throttle mod... Yet more improvement and no adverse issues. Wrapping exhaust pipes and tri-ovals are next. Will advise.
Mustang seat w/backrest
Wolo Bad Boy air horn
Kuryakyn isogrips w/Racnray throttle mod
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro DFI tuner
Max & Willie "Hooker"
SpeedoHealer
"Our worth is measured in the value we bring to others."

Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

I have the Cobra AVT as well, with a hypercharger, and tri-ovals, no matter what I do I cannot get rid of the popping and occasional backfiring (minor) on decel, even Cobra says there is nothing that can be done, it appears to be the tri-ovals more than anything. I have the speedohealer as well, works great.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

I just installed Joe's BAK with D&D slip-ons and added the PowerPro tuner. MUCH better performance and riding a steady 120Km/h I get the same fuel economy as running a steady 110Km/h. Highly recommended!! I'm ordering one of Joe's filler plates for the left side as well.

Smokey, when and where do you guys ride? I'm currently on course in Kingston and I'm looking for a group to ride with.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarinerwolfe View Post
I just installed Joe's BAK with D&D slip-ons and added the PowerPro tuner. MUCH better performance and riding a steady 120Km/h I get the same fuel economy as running a steady 110Km/h. Highly recommended!! I'm ordering one of Joe's filler plates for the left side as well.

Smokey, when and where do you guys ride? I'm currently on course in Kingston and I'm looking for a group to ride with.
we have a CVFR unit in Kingston who would probably be happy to go for a ride with you, the area along highway 2 out to Alexandria is a very nice ride with lots of stops past Morrisburg to get a bite to eat, send me an email at smokeyatcvfr.ca and I will forward it on to the Kingston unit. Or if you are in the Ottawa area let me know, I can always go on a ride around the area.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #8

I've been running the Cobra CVT for the last 7,000 miles with V&H slip-ons and Thunder air kit, works good for me.

Kawasaki 2010 Nomad 1700
Southern Oregon

Vance & Hines slash cut slip-ons
Cobra Powerpro CVT
Thunder Air Kit, stock cover
Kuryakyn Power Point 12v adaptor
Cobra Luggage Rack
Grasshopper back rest
Tomtom GPS

Old 09-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #9

Just a couple of quick questions if I may.

1. Why add a spedo healer without any mods to the drive train? Is the OEM reading all that bad?

2. It seems as though many people are making changes the exhaust without corrections to the tune. ie Power Commander etc. Why? It's my understanding that any change to the intake or exhaust will have some affect to the mixture and like contribute to undesirable popping or performance. ??

3. Do the auto ignition tuners really pull their weight? Sure they can probably get the mixture down to an acceptable level but how is that and achievement? Surely to get the most from your >$1000 you should get a full dyno tune done. I don't thing that using other maps from the net is that great either because their not likely to be 100% the same.

Juts putting it all out there because I some day will be doing my Vaqu justice. My plan is to complete the electrics (Nav/Media) and then hit the performance. Wrap the pipes, Slipon's, K&N with some sort of filter box, Manifold Machined and PC3-USB or similar. This will be complimented by a comprehensive dynotune by a professional. My idea of how it should be done.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post
Just a couple of quick questions if I may.

1. Why add a spedo healer without any mods to the drive train? Is the OEM reading all that bad?

3. Do the auto ignition tuners really pull their weight? Sure they can probably get the mixture down to an acceptable level but how is that and achievement? Surely to get the most from your >$1000 you should get a full dyno tune done. I don't thing that using other maps from the net is that great either because their not likely to be 100% the same.

Yes the OEM reading is that bad, in some cases almost 10 kph at the higher speeds

The reason we go to the automatic tuners is to save the money on the dyno runs, up here it would cost an extra $300 or so to get the bike dynoed and the changes made to the tuner, if you can even find a dealer with a dynometer that also has the computer hook up, lots have a dyno, few have the computer jook up needed to alter the Power Commander settings.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Top Contributor

Red Sand.
Your idea of how tuning should be done is probably correct but I have no complaints about the Cobra CVT automatic tuner I installed. The bikes (2010 Voyager) performance has increased, it is running cooler and the mpg does not appear to have been greatly affected, if at all.

Why would I not be happy with that ?

I do not see the need for a speedo healer. I know the bike reads a couple of kmph off (optimistically) so if I am going by the speedo I am never speeding. If I want to go the speed limit I just go a couple of kmph faster than the readout.

Last edited by redjay; 09-23-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Why would I not be happy with that ?
I guess that would be a good result when your problems are corrected. At the end of the day thats what really matters. My point of view is that the auto map feature is only doing a small part of what is needed. Getting the Air/Fuel mixture close will definately give good results as you stated with improvements in temperature etc. But what about the torque and power? These are values that the PCV can not measure. If I go to the effort of performance upgrades by changing the intake and exhaust system, I am not going to be satisfied with a sweet note from the pipes. I want to get the biggest bang for my buck and ensure the gains are the best I can get.

As for the speed reading. I think I need to mount the GPS and see how mine is. I agree that a healer won't be needed if its only a few kilometers out. If you got booked with it stock then you will have grounds to fight that you were not speeding with intent. If it is too bad then I will try to get it corrected under warranty.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
Top Contributor

"But what about the torque and power" ?

I can really feel there is more torque and power hence my statement "performance has increased".

I doubt you will get anywhere with trying to get the speedo corrected under warranty.
What would they do to correct it ?

Last edited by redjay; 09-23-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
"But what about the torque and power" ?

I can really feel there is more torque and power hence my statement "performance has increased".

I doubt you will get anywhere with trying to get the speedo corrected under warranty.
What would they do to correct it ?
I'm reasonably sure that there would be a standard for the accuracy of the speedo. If it were outside that then they would be required to correct it. Don't quote me but I think that it will be something like 7% or 8% @ 100 kph. So +/-8kph. I think I might try to find out what the ADR says.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #15

From the Australian Design Rules. The production shall be deemed to conform to this Regulation if the following relationship between the speed indicated on the display of the speedometer (V1) and the actual speed (V2) is observed: In the case of vehicles of categories L3, L4 and L5: 0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 8 km/h;

I would believe that there would be the same sort of rules in the US. If it was not within the rules then I can,t see why a dealer would not take care of it. How they do that is up to them but it must be certified.

Tags
cobra fi2000, fuel tuner, mileage, mods, powrpro