Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #1

Engine Guard Chaps

I noticed in the FAQs that AirLite engine guard chaps were recommend. How many actually have these and will they also keep some of the wind from buffeting my head? I only have funds for the chaps (which I'd like due to the rain and spray from the road) or larger lowers (for the wind buffeting), but not both at this time.

Thank you.

Michael

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to its4dale
Engine Guard Chaps

Michael it really doesn't take much to make your own enlarged lowers. Buy the lexan at Home Depot, cover it with masking or duct tape, draw out the shape you want, then cut them out with a variable speed jigsaw and a wood bit on a low speed. Polish the edges with sandpaper and drill the mounting holes and you're done. I made mine a little wider than stock but not enough to touch the case guards. They are a lot longer than stock with the extra length added to the bottom, not the top. Use the funds to buy what you can't make yourself.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Engine Guard Chaps

Quote:
Michael it really doesn't take much to make your own enlarged lowers. Buy the lexan at Home Depot, cover it with masking or duct tape, draw out the shape you want, then cut them out with a variable speed jigsaw and a wood bit on a low speed. Polish the edges with sandpaper and drill the mounting holes and you're done. I made mine a little wider than stock but not enough to touch the case guards. They are a lot longer than stock with the extra length added to the bottom, not the top. Use the funds to buy what you can't make yourself.
So, how much longer did you make them? And does the stock shape have any engineering behind them? Just curious, as I would love to make my own lowers...

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 09-17-2007, 12:54 AM   #4

Engine Guard Chaps

Quote:
So, how much longer did you make them? And does the stock shape have any engineering behind them? Just curious, as I would love to make my own lowers...
The cynic in me says that the OEM configuration is as large as the budget controllers would allow the design folks to make them. I am planning to scale mine up soon. I saw a member offering to share templates on another thread, I'll have to track that down and beg for a copy.
The morning temps the last couple of days have been really nice riding home at 0530. I can almost feel fall approaching.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
VBA Founder

Engine Guard Chaps

Yep, same here lw.....it's been mighty cool in the mornings as of late. Fall is my fav time of the year. Best time to ride IMHO.

I have been thinking long and hard about my lowers lately. I don't know whether I want to change them out or not. I'm very picky about how they will look.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Engine Guard Chaps

I have the AirLite engine guard chaps. It is one of my better purchases. It takes less than a minute to put them on, and they keep most of the water and road grundge off your feet and legs. Also, in cold weather I can ride without chaps or wind pants without freezing my legs. I'm not sure about the head buffeting; I don't seem to have much of that either way.
Paul

Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Engine Guard Chaps

Scion: i own 3 sets of lowers, stock, Edmonds and home made, The home made work best to reduce head buffeting. they are about 13-14 inches long and 5 wide, same basic shape as stock. Lower covers wont help head buffeting i think. Lowers help but dont stop it 100%

Doc

Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #8

Engine Guard Chaps

Quote:
Scion: i own 3 sets of lowers, stock, Edmonds and home made, The home made work best to reduce head buffeting. they are about 13-14 inches long and 5 wide, same basic shape as stock. Lower covers wont help head buffeting i think. Lowers help but dont stop it 100%

Doc

Thanks, I think I will try the home-made version first. Did you keep them about the same shape, just longer and wider?

Mike
"Scion0"

Old 09-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #9

Engine Guard Chaps

I bought my chaps from Sage Brush. Good high quality.

http://www.akamotorcycleaccessories....rd_chaps.shtml

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Engine Guard Chaps

I have both Airlight Chaps and oversize lowers. If it's head buffeting elimination you want the oversize lowers are it. The chaps do nothing for buffeting. they do however keep your shins and feet toasty warm in the winter!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #11

Engine Guard Chaps

Quote:
I have both Airlight Chaps and oversize lowers. If it's head buffeting elimination you want the oversize lowers are it. The chaps do nothing for buffeting. they do however keep your shins and feet toasty warm in the winter!
That is what I want now, the warm and toasty shins... how much oversized did you go on the lowers BD? Did you make them yourself?

Mike
"Scion0"

Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Engine Guard Chaps

I got them through the link in Gadgets page. Edmond Enterprises I believe. Very well made and they come in sizes depending on what height your windshield is at. Mine windshield is all the way up so I got the largest ones.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Engine Guard Chaps

yes i made some same basic shape just larger as stated above. Anybody got a link for Airlite chaps? Thx

Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #14

Engine Guard Chaps

I purchased them and they take less than a minute to put on, they keep the road spray off the lower end on my pants and keeps the boots clean also the bugs off. i rode with my Airlites all summer and now that the snow is about to fly here in Canada maybe they be good for plowing it also.......just kidding. Best piece of equipment you could buy for your Nomad.
Cheers

http://www.airlite.ca/index.php?id=1

Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #15

Engine Guard Chaps

Quote:
I purchased them and they take less than a minute to put on, they keep the road spray off the lower end on my pants and keeps the boots clean also the bugs off. i rode with my Airlites all summer and now that the snow is about to fly here in Canada maybe they be good for plowing it also.......just kidding. Best piece of equipment you could buy for your Nomad.
Cheers

http://www.airlite.ca/index.php?id=1

Thanks, they really look good to and the price seems great!

Mike
"Scion0"