Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Power Commander v

For those that have installed the power commander on their 1700. Did it help smooth out the throttle control for low speeds in town? Any info appreciated. I have the Racnray throttle mod with air mod and Tri-ovals with cobra fi2000. Also installed the thunder intake gasket.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

Go with a PCV/IGN and have it dyno or get a map from david sheek on this forum or the kaw vulcan forum he has a good one everyone says. And I would check yourself or have a shop check for an intake leak. I had one and the thunder gasket was not thick enought to fix all the problem some was in the intake port. Are you still under warranty if knot Racn Ray has a fix on the forum. or you can get a thicker gasket. PM me and I will send you the info on it but you realy need to have a shop check for a leak if you don't know how. Good Luck To You.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

I have had the PCV/IGN on my Vaquero for a while now.. I just added the PC Autotune module and LOVE it. Huge change in how my bike runs. Very smooth thru entire power band. Now I can change from the quiet baffle to the stock baffle on my exhaust and the bike adjusts itself.
V&H ProPipe, Thunder big air kit, Ivanized ECU.
Ray's throttle mod, ISO grips, 4" risers, rear light mods
Mustang Touring seat
400 watt Alpine Amp with 6.5 Kickers
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #4

Just ordered a pcv also and would like information from anyone if you would also. Does it help at all with the heat issue at all?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

I read a user review today that said they put the auto tuner on their bike and not only did it improve performance but it also seemed to make it run a little cooler.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #6

well I hope it does that right side cover in traffic is a killer. Who needs to get up early and do an egg just put it on that right side cover and it will cook even faster.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #7

Might be a stoopid question but here goes anyway: If you add the auto tune to the PC5 does it take the manual adjustment ability away from the PC5 & basicly turn it into a Cobra Power Pro? I thought the benefit of the PC5 over the Power Pro was the ability to manually set adjustments? If you're going to add an auto tune unit to a PC5 why not just buy a PowerPro to begin with & save the money? Is the PCV + auto tune better than a Power Pro or is there enough difference for the average street bike/rider to even notice? I'm kind of a "do it yourself'er" trying to decide on a fuel processor & this stuff is a little over my head. No good dyno guy i know of close by either.

VBA #01922

Last edited by Pitchinguy; 05-07-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

I just added the Cobra Tri Oval slip ons to my bike and it seems to be running ok, but, it does pop and sputter when down shifting and letting the motor slow me down. This wass not an issue with the stock exhaust so I'm thinking of getting the auto tuner and wondering if anyone thinks it will help

Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

Not to hijack, but I have a question about the PCV. I am receiving my bike on friday, i bought it used with 9000 miles. It has an aftermarket intake, v/c slashcuts and a PCV. I've never used a fuel management system on my bikes before and I'm wondering how I will know if its set up properly? Does it have to be hooked up to a computer or does it have the dials that you turn to a number?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #10

I've had the Power Pro, and now have the PCV with auto tune. The Power Pro was supposed to self adjust itself as needed if I remember correctly. I didn't think it was doing a very good job and got rid of it. Then I added the PCV, which has no dials, but connects to your computer via a USB cable. Dynajet has a free program to download that allows you to load "maps" into the PCV. You borrow a map from someone who has a setup like yours, or you get your bike dyno tested and adjusted. That is what I did at first. Recently added the dynojet auto tune module to my PCV. This requires the addition of an O2 sensor. A bung had to welded to the pipes to screw the O2 sensor into. With the auto tune reading the actual O2 measurements in the exhaust it makes small adjustments to the fuel to optimize the engine's performance. After riding a while you need to go in and save the trim adjustments to the PCV. All in all I think this is the best combination system. Another thing I like is the autotune will automatically adjust for altitude changes while traveling. Also lets me change baffles in my pipes without needing to change maps.
I'm a newby on a learning curve with this stuff, but think I got it all about right.
Mustang Touring seat
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Why do you think the Cobra Power Pro was not doing a good job ? I have one and it works great.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #12

Yes, it would be good to clarify. Power Pro is a good product. I bought it and used it for a while. During the time I had it I was trying out different exhaust systems, and intake systems. I just didn't get happy with how the bike ran with what I was using. So I sold the tri ovals I had, sold the power pro and started over. I chose the V&H 2:1 exhaust because I felt it was a simple, clean, efficient system. Some folks don't like the looks of a bagger with the exhaust only on one side, but I was going for function and not looks. I decided on the Power commander with the auto tune because I felt the only true way to set up a fuel management system is to use a O2 sensor to sample the exhaust and adjust fuel accordingly.
What it really comes down to with all of us is just what makes us happiest with our bikes.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with my views. I've had every model big Vulcan out there and I do get opinionated about them.
Mustang Touring seat
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #13

Does the Cobra 2000 autotune give smoother in town operation?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #14

I have the pcv fuel only with the v/h slash cut on my bike from fuel moto, they even set it up with their own dyno map for my set up. I think the pcv is the only way to go. You can do more with it than any other system. You can tune the decel pop out with the pcv, unlike the power pro. There are some guys on here that have lots of experance and dyno time that can explain better than I can.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

Mine didn't run cooler with the Power Commander (with V&H Slpi-ons, and Chuckster's Air Kit) but when I add 4-5 ounces of Seafoam to a tank of 87 octane, it seems to run cooler...a little, according to the guage.
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp