Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

Goat Gut Gone

Got my true duals put on this morning---cycle is complete--TFI, air, and now exhaust--seems like a much freer animal plus the sound now gives her a bit of soul. I like it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozyer View Post
Got my true duals put on this morning---cycle is complete--TFI, air, and now exhaust--seems like a much freer animal plus the sound now gives her a bit of soul. I like it.
Congrats
You think it's complete,
until you see something else you want to add

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 05-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #3

I got my BAK on today, now mine's complete--TFI, V&H Baggers, and Barons air kit. Took her for a 100 mile ride. Different bike: Turn the throttle now and she moves! I can hear the air getting sucked in.

What air intake did you go with?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

Went with chucksters dual plate.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #5

What are your TFI settings? I'm at 2:30, 3:30, 1:00, 9:00, and I think I'm running a bit lean. I logged 300 miles today and got 45.5 mpg on first tank and 48.2 on second. It felt like it wanted more gas.
_________
IntheWind
'08 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

I just set mine at what TFI recommended--have not touched since but I only get 37mpg tops--so I probably need to get after it and do it right.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWind View Post
What are your TFI settings? I'm at 2:30, 3:30, 1:00, 9:00, and I think I'm running a bit lean. I logged 300 miles today and got 45.5 mpg on first tank and 48.2 on second. It felt like it wanted more gas.
_________
IntheWind
'08 Nomad
What makes you think you are lean still?

Try this:

Set pot 4 to 9:00, set pot 3 all the way back to 1:00 (just make sure it's off)

Set pot 2 to 1:00 as well OFF...

Run the engine a bit to get it well warmed up, and get a house hold box fan and point that at the rad and the engine from a the high side. I assume the TFI is on the low side.

Twiddle with pot 1 with great care seeking a higher RPM get the RPM as high as you can with pot 1.

Pass the highest point untill the engine misses a bit from too much fuel (Rich) then back it off passing the best RPM to too lean...

Now you KNOW where best is.. IF the highest rpm at this point is too high to be idle speed that is a great bit of news. it might not be, but lets hope so.

If it IS then go to the high side and grab that black stock air knob and pull back on it and turn the knob CCwise to reduce idle speed RPM to 900 +/- 50

If you had to do that refine pot 1 again. to find best RPM. And this time when you find best note there are 2 dots between each whole number and set the pot 2 dots ahead (Rich)

That 2 dots is the fuel you will use to get moving from 0 MPH.

Pot 1 cover idle mix to cross over into low midrange RPM.

Then go for a dyno run if you want to pay $$$ to set pot 2.

If you don't want to pay $$ thyen go find a place where the cops won't bist you for speeding and you won't upset people either.

There you will mark off about 1/4 mile and have a helper time your runs in 2nd and 3rd gears only. With no helper to time you it is a seat of the pants thing. Rip that throttle wide open as you dare and discover what feels like the best power. Use whole numbers starting with probably 3 to begin. That will take time and in order to know by the seat of your pants you need to know hiw the bike feels pretty well.

A guy that had the bike a few days will not know how it feels enough.. To me this is a problem HD guys get most. They buy a brand new HD and get this work up done with never knowing how the bike was stock. They just buy the bike they like and then drop more dimes for power they may never want or use.

Unless you have some other problem pot 3 stays OFF. The Stock Nomad setting of the ECU provided plenty of fuel for 65 mph and up cruise which this generic mod doesn't need on a Nomad.

On a few Nomad that cackel down shifting or bark out the pipes pot 3 can drown that sound, but to do so means there is a problem and you won't deal with what it is.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Last edited by macmac; 06-01-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #8

Seat of my pants... It just feels like, when I'm cruising, it's not getting quite enough gas, and my mpg suggests the same.

So why wouldn't I just dial pot 1 up to 2:45 and pot 2 up to 3:45 or 4:00--until it feels right?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWind View Post

Seat of my pants... It just feels like, when I'm cruising, it's not getting quite enough gas, and my mpg suggests the same.

So why wouldn't I just dial pot 1 up to 2:45 and pot 2 up to 3:45 or 4:00--until it feels right?

Who says these are all exactly the same? These things are just stamped out by the millions, and so are the circuit boards and so are these ECUS and so are each engine part and not one is the exact same as the next but they are close.

Depending on your bike and then maybe my bike there is a good bet each bike breaths differently.

Air and fuel are a mix... We all know the stock engine is forced to run far to lean, and it strains for it. The proof is getting better MPG's when you ADD fuel. usually when you add fuel you do not get better MPG's, you just get more power.

In all my years as a pro tech i never got better MPG's by adding fuel to the mix I always got more power.

By changing the breathing I was able to add more fuel but then the specific engine will tell you just how much fuel, no book can do that and no computer can either. The engine tell the computer.

Dialing in these numbers is like painting by numbers ... You ask, someone say what his numbers are for right or wrong and then everyone put;s their numbers to what was said. it;s just like painting by numbers. Its not art and it's not right.

The engine will tell you when it;s right. A tach can help a dyno can and or your feeling of vibs hearing the engine note and letting the engine tawk.

What some other guys numbers are is an answer i have never answered myself. My numbers may or may not work on another guys bike.

My air filter is cotton,,,,, what's yours? My baffles don't have glass packing anymore what about yours?

This is why.

i find this very curious

What is you MPG's and is this by GPS or just the OD and or do you have a healer?

What is it that feels wrong?

Are you lugging in the 2nd over drive aka 5th or are You lugging in 1st OD aka 4th and think you should have better power in either over drive?

I am just guessing since you didn't say anything a tech would be able to understand yet.

Might be there is a vac leak leaning out your mix.. The stock ECU for the most part does things right in cruise. That would be pot 3 and almost everyone here has that OFF

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

I am just guessing since you didn't say anything a tech would be able to understand yet.

Man, you need to go for a ride or something. I never asked "a tech" anything. I simply asked Whoyzer what his settings were because we have very similar setups. That somehow prompted you to jump in and show me how smart you are and how complicated these fuel processors can be and how I'll need to take a week's vacation and hire a pit crew to program mine properly. Bullcrap! My 1500 had the same setup as my current 1600, and for 58,000 miles it ran great with only my amateur seat-of-the-pants settings. I have no doubt this one will too.

Last edited by IntheWind; 05-31-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #11

I feel ya

Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #12

Mac is absolutely right!!

I had mine setup on dynojet dynometer and my Nomad has never run so good. Following Mac's instructions is great way to do it and every Nomad is different guaranteed & if you can spare the Bucks get it down on a Dynometer.

By the way my Nomad is a 2008 totally stock that was stalling on down shifting at a stop and weak as a rag off idle.

PS: Mine are Green 4 – Yellow 1 – Red 1 – RPM 6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DYNOJET Evaluation resized.jpg (85.5 KB, 18 views)

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Last edited by Northern Dancer; 05-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Good bye sorry...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #14

MAC 99% of us appreciate your Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Good bye sorry...
++++++++++++++++++++++++
MAC please keep on with your well thought out posts -- you have no reason to be sorry and we do not want your Good Bye.

My 2 Canadian Cents,

Regards,

Norther Dancer,

Ron

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
++++++++++++++++++++++++
MAC please keep on with your well thought out posts -- you have no reason to be sorry and we do not want your Good Bye.

My 2 Canadian Cents,

Regards,

Norther Dancer,

Ron

My sentiments exactly. Always enjoy Mac's post.
Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"