Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #1

Yes another engine heat thread, but perhaps a different question ?

Is there an alternate thermostat that can be swapped for the stock, perhaps a lower temp rated thermostat ?

Also, I know the commander modules allow for changing the mixture, in case mine is running lean (which as I understand most manufacturers set them lean for max power and best fuel mpg), but enriching the mixture a bit could allow the engine to run cooler and perhaps a threshold setting where performance would not suffer ?

The heat off this pup is irritating. I love this bike, but temp gauge is always at least 3/4, occasionally 1/2, at times higher than 3/4 and legs take the heat. I know nothing new, sorry for the redundant statements, but my 1600 was never near the issue with heat this one is (didn't have a temp gauge either, but my legs were fine). I am running in Az. desert heat and most simply don't ride here until September, but this is much more than I had on my previous Vulcan.
2010 Voyager - Wrapped pipes; Ivan ECU Flash; Engine Ice; Debaffled stock exhaust; Thunder Intake; Ray's throttle mod on Kuryakan grips; Pax floorboard extensions; cutdown windshield; VStar trunk rack; iPod adapter. Former 2003 1600 Classic. Vulcan guy for life !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Voyagers are famous for being hot. I know a few people who have bought them and couldn't get rid of them fast enough because they couldn't take the heat. I suspect having a bike throwing heat like that in Marana is no bueno, especially this time of year.

I think the 2012 Voyagers have a heat kit added that is supposed to alleviate at least some of that heat. Perhaps the kit could be a retrofit on a 2010? I don't know, I've never owned one. As far as I know, there is no lower temp thermostat you could use. The ECM is programmed to work within a specific operating temperature range. You wouldn't want to mess with that.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 06-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Voyagers are famous for being hot. I know a few people who have bought them and couldn't get rid of them fast enough because they couldn't take the heat. I suspect having a bike throwing heat like that in Marana is no bueno, especially this time of year.

I think the 2012 Voyagers have a heat kit added that is supposed to alleviate at least some of that heat. Perhaps the kit could be a retrofit on a 2010? I don't know, I've never owned one. As far as I know, there is no lower temp thermostat you could use. The ECM is programmed to work within a specific operating temperature range. You wouldn't want to mess with that.
Kawasaki sells a kit to retrofit the fan kit.

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/...&CategoryID=65

Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Wrap the pipes first . . . Costs a whole lot less, takes a whole lot less time and looks a whole lot better . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Recommended changes (some have already been mentioned)...

Change the coolant to either Engine Ice or equivalent brand, or what we have used for years is 4 ounces of water wetter in a mix of 70% water/30% coolant.

Change to a good synthetic oil like Amsoil, Mobil 1 or Kawi's brand.

Wrap the pipes with exhaust wrapping, reduces radiant heat.

The area where Kawi has had to lean out the a/f ratio to meet EPA requirements is where we do most of our riding, which is up to 3000 rpm and about 20% throttle. Installing a Power Commander with a stock bike map (non EPA legal map) will help to reduce temps generated by the lean a/f ratios in that operating range.

A good set of slip-on mufflers will also allow the engine to run cooler as they improve cylinder "blow-down".

On my Vaq I installed a switch to turn the fan on when I want it on which is usually just b4 or when the needle gets to the halfway mark. I ain't awaiting for the fan to kick on when the ECU turns it on.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 06-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:

Did you get rid of yours because of the heat?

Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomi1 View Post
Did you get rid of yours because of the heat?
My what? I ride a Harley. Prior to that I had a 2007 Nomad. I have never replaced a bike because of heat. Even my air cooled Harley doesn't get hot enough to make me want to get rid of it, and I live in Phoenix.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Thanks All.
I have already (a few weeks ago) swapped over to Mobil 1 and this past weekend, after riding and getting 3/4 gauge, converted to Engine Ice coolant 100%.
I will be looking into a cold air intake mod and module, which should help also, but is there an alternate thermostat for these bikes ?
I'll also do a search on wrapping pipes but if anyone has a link to ssave me some time, that'd be appreciated.
Thanks again.
2010 Voyager - Wrapped pipes; Ivan ECU Flash; Engine Ice; Debaffled stock exhaust; Thunder Intake; Ray's throttle mod on Kuryakan grips; Pax floorboard extensions; cutdown windshield; VStar trunk rack; iPod adapter. Former 2003 1600 Classic. Vulcan guy for life !!

Old 06-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calflan View Post
Thanks All.
I have already (a few weeks ago) swapped over to Mobil 1 and this past weekend, after riding and getting 3/4 gauge, converted to Engine Ice coolant 100%.
I will be looking into a cold air intake mod and module, which should help also, but is there an alternate thermostat for these bikes ?
I'll also do a search on wrapping pipes but if anyone has a link to ssave me some time, that'd be appreciated.
Thanks again.
All a lower temp thermostat will do is prolong the time it takes for the coolant to comeup to temp, as all it will do is open at a lower temp. It will have virtually no affect once the engine temps get up there.
The fan kicks on when the coolant temp reaches about 195.
Certainly warp the pipes as this will reduce radiant heat, you AND the engine will run cooler.

RACNRAY

Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
Wrap the pipes first . . . Costs a whole lot less, takes a whole lot less time and looks a whole lot better . . .
I feel a lot less heat from wrapping mine, even more so when the black wrap turned white and I put the heat shields back on.

VBA #02164

Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calflan View Post
Thanks All.
Thanks again.

It took me and a buddy longer to take everything off than it did to wrap the pipes lol. Pretty simple really, one of us held the pipes and turned it while the other held the wrap and made sure it was on tight. Run it under water to soak the wrap and putem back on the bike.

VBA #02164

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #12

Pipes wrapped and quick test run showed a gauge of just shy 3/4. If this is what I get from wrapping, Engine Ice and synthetic oil on a regular basis, I'd say all 3 were well worth it. Time will tell, but wrapping sure gets allot of good responses.
If the engine still runs as hot as it had, cold air intake and module next to richen out the mixture and give the V Twin the air it needs at the same time. After that, the only final option I see is the KAMS kit, which doesn't seem many have retro fitted on 2010's and '09's. In fact, just after I bought the bike, I asked the dealer about getting me a kit. Parts guy said one other person here had one on order and after better than 5 months backorder, they finally cancelled the order. That's the only kit they've come close to selling for an earlier Voyager.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
My what? I ride a Harley. Prior to that I had a 2007 Nomad. I have never replaced a bike because of heat. Even my air cooled Harley doesn't get hot enough to make me want to get rid of it, and I live in Phoenix.
so when did you move??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
so when did you move??
Riding any bike in Phoenix in the summer can be miserable, I don't care what it is.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I didn't know you moved to Phoenix Chandlerzona...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005