Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Vaquero Fairing Crack

I just hit 1300 miles on my 2011 Vaquero I bought this spring and decided to give her a bath. I'm washing the fairing and notice the right side seems loose??? I look closer and notice a crack along the bottom edge between the fairing and lowers. It appears this goes all the way around on to the inside where the bolt is that holds the fairing on. It appears the plastic where the bolt goes through the fairing isn't even there?? Is this something the warranty will cover to repair? I assume the entire fairing will need replaced? I'll attach a pic but it is pretty hard to see.

Thanks,

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairing.jpg (17.1 KB, 147 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by barticus73; 06-19-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #2

It sure shitting should! If there's no impact damage above or below the crack where they can say that you laid it over, it should definitely be a warranty issue. I would fight to the death over that.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

warranty claim for sure.your vaquero warranty is for 3 years 36,000 miles.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #4

I would assume thats its covered, unless they try to say you hit something or the bike fell over.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I would assume thats its covered, unless they try to say you hit something or the bike fell over.

I would like to think so too. There is not a mark on the bike other than this crack. I didn't even notice it until I washed the bike and saw it was loose. It almost looks like the bolts holding the fairing on were maybe tightened too much? The dealer I bought the bike from had the fairing off to install driving lights. The dealer I bought the bike from is just over an hour away. There is another dealer about 20 minutes away that I am going to check with first simply because they are closer. I would have bought the bike at the closer dealership but they didn't have any Vaquero's for sale at the time. Wish me luck!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #6

Damn, that sucks!

I would almost bet it happened when the lights were installed and they thought they could get away with it. Can't trust dealers anymore.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #7

That should most definitely be covered under warranty.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #8

I took the bike to the local dealer on June 24th. First thing out of the service guy's mouth was 'Did you buy the bike here?". Dealer looked it over, took my info, and said they would call it into to Kawasaki and get back to me. Its been a week to the day today and I haven't heard anything from the dealer. I call in and am told they tried to call Kawasaki on June 28th but weren't able to reach them???? They said they would 'try' again today. That was a few hours ago and still nothing? Am I being impatient? I use this bike everyday to commute to work and am afraid the crack is going to spread. Do I just suck it up and try another dealer?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #9

That stealership is punishing you for not buying there. If it was me, yup, I would contact another dealer, and keep doing that until you find one that wants to earn your business. My only request is that once you find it, actually give them some business to show them that you appreciate their support.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
That stealership is punishing you for not buying there. If it was me, yup, I would contact another dealer, and keep doing that until you find one that wants to earn your business. My only request is that once you find it, actually give them some business to show them that you appreciate their support.
Yep!! Go to another stealership. I hate those type of places!

I don't know why they'd care where you bought the bike. Warranty problems don't come out of their pocket.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

Last year when I had electrical problems with Vaquero I ended up calling Kawasaki NA directly (and filing lemon law paperwork with State) after dealership wasn't doing that much for me. Service was much improved after those calls.
VBA #2354

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haygrrr View Post
Last year when I had electrical problems with Vaquero I ended up calling Kawasaki NA directly (and filing lemon law paperwork with State) after dealership wasn't doing that much for me. Service was much improved after those calls.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 07-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #13

Update.....dealer called and said they spoke to Kawasaki and they wanted some pictures of the crack before they made a decision. The service guy said he didn't think there would be an issue with the covering under warranty but Kawasaki needed pics first. I took the bike yesterday to the dealer, they took the pics and said they would get back to me. We shall see.......

Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #14

cracked lower also

2009 voyager left lower cracked I also found it when washing it is the warranty 3 year 36000 or which comes first. I only have 12000 on it. I never thought about the warranty.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #15

Well, Kawasaki finally decided to replace the fairing under warranty. Dealer got the part in and started working on the bike yesterday. I get a call in the afternoon about a problem they encountered. When they removed the original fairing, they said it appears 'someone' tried a plastiweld type repair where the crack originated. I'm thinking they think I was the one who attempted a repair?!?! They said they had to report this to Kawasaki but intended on completing the repair. They also found several dampeners & bolts missing that attach the fairing?!?!?! Because of this they had to order additional parts that may be in by Friday. I don't know what to think about this. Before I took the brand new bike home from the dealer I had them install driving lights so they had the fairing off then. I also had the same original dealer perform the initial 600 mile service where they supposedly check every bolt. So did the original dealer know about the crack and try a plastiweld repair? I don't know but I hope there are no other surprises yet to find on this bike. Stuff like this makes me sick and now I question buying this bike. Hopefully everything will work out in the end. What a pain in the butt!