Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Question GPS/Cellphone Routes

OK tech guru's . . . help me! . . . I am trying to figure out how to get custom routes made on either google maps or mapquest into my iphone . . . When I try to send one to it, it just puts in the start and end point and drops all the customization that I did . . . My Voyager has an Iphone hool up, so the iphone would be telling me turn by turn directions through the audio system . . . that would be nice . . . Is there a way or an app that allows this???

As a work around, I have a Garmin Nuvi1490 LMT that I am able to load Mapquest custom routes to, but that is not hooked into my audio system . . . Can I Bluetooth the Garmin to my iphone as a work around? I know I can connect the two, but I think its just so the iphone can use the Garmin as a handsfree device, not so the Garmin send audio to iphone . . . Can I do this?

If I buy the Zumo audio cable can I modify it to use with my Nuvi?? Any help would be greatly appreciated - If you explain it like I have no idea what you're talking about - I'd appreciate it even more!

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by napom; 09-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I seriously doubt you can import routes into an iPhone. It's not a full-featured GPS, like a Garmin.

If you buy a Zumo, why would you need the Nuvi?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I meant the Zumo audio cable hookup thing . . . fixed it

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
CB/Rear Speakers
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors

Ride With Pride

Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #4

Here's my own map itinerary work around...

I have an android phone (Samsung Galaxy SII), with Sygic Maps installed on it.

I use a motorcycle route planner "Tyre" (or Google Maps) to plan my routes using a computer, and then save the route as a TomTom (.itn) file. Next make an alteration to the .itn file using notepad (remove the last line, usually your computer name), then convert the .itn file to an itf file with ITN2ITF Converter.exe (just google that to find it), and then finally copy the .itf file to Phone/Sygic/Res/Itinerary.

Ba da boom... Itinerary file usable on my phone, voice guidance over the bluetooth... Maybe there's something in all that you can use?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #5

I just ride, thats the fun part of it

Scott aka Farmer522
Southeast MO
VBA#01865
VROC #34433
VRA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post

I use a motorcycle route planner "Tyre" (or Google Maps) to plan my routes using a computer, and then save the route as a TomTom (.itn) file. Next make an alteration to the .itn file using notepad (remove the last line, usually your computer name), then convert the .itn file to an itf file with ITN2ITF Converter.exe (just google that to find it), and then finally copy the .itf file to Phone/Sygic/Res/Itinerary.

Ba da boom... Itinerary file usable on my phone, voice guidance over the bluetooth... Maybe there's something in all that you can use?
Hmmm . . . I'll have to see if the iphone has a sygic map app and give this a try . . . I think I can follow this so long as I can get that app . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
CB/Rear Speakers
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors

Ride With Pride

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post

I'll look into this as well. Thanks!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Sygic is available for free on the iphone . . .just need to load tyre on my pc and I'l give it a go for my run to WV next week . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
CB/Rear Speakers
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors

Ride With Pride

Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

According to Tyre's website Tyre Pro will only work with the Navigon App for iPhone. There is a post in their forum that explains how to email the route to your iPhone.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Here's a route that Cec and I head off along the week after next... I'm hoping our current springtime showery weather settles before we leave.

Deep South NZ

Sygic is a TomTom based app, and it's increasingly found installed on touch-screen GPS head units in cars as well. It's the only app I've ever paid for, and worth every penny... Free map upgrades (about 3 per year) for ever.

I don't use the pro version of Tyre either... I have enough trouble working out how to use the free version - it's way over-complicated for my needs, and there are plenty of features I don't know how to use.

I usually just have the phone running the route with Sygic, either in a holder on the bars when the weather's good or tucked away in a bag and plugged in to a power lead if it's not. Our Sena SMH-10 bluetooth headsets are on intercom as a default, but if I'm not sure which way to turn as an intersection looms - I can just tap the jog wheel to receive voice-guided nav, even when I can't see the screen.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I think I got it! I will know for sure on Monday when I head to WV with my first Sygic/Tyre route . . . When I ,ove the itf file to the phone, do I need to put it anywhere special or how do I direct Sygic to it? Thanks!!!

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
CB/Rear Speakers
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors

Ride With Pride

Last edited by napom; 09-06-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
I think I got it! I will know for sure on Monday when I head to WV with my first Sygic/Tyre route . . . When I ,ove the itf file to the phone, do I need to put it anywhere special or how do I direct Sygic to it? Thanks!!!
Plug your phone into your computer... & when the autoplay window opens select "Open device to view files", then look down the path: Phone/Sygic/Res/Itinerary

Just copy your .itf file into that Itinerary folder on your phone.

Sometimes my routes take a short time to copy over, occasionally more complicated routes copy onto the phone too fast and I know somethings wrong with them. That little program ITN2ITF Converter now and then doesn't convert accurately and misses a few waypoints, but I know from experience now when that happens and just run the itn through the converter a second time.

Once it's there, open Sygic on the phone, select "route", and then "load route", select the one you just copied over, and you can zoom in to check it's all there, or if it's not a long one just select "Options", then "Route options", then "Demonstrate"... and it will take a run through it for you.

On a longer route, you might have to skip waypoints after you reload the route each day so it doesn't try to make you turn you around every time to start over.

I just loaded that next rides route to check... It's 3465km long to the bottom of NZ and back along scenic routes, but the .itf file is only 2.58kb... Next to nothing. I've kept all my routes on the phone, no problem.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
Advanced Member

hmmmm . . . for some reason the only folder I see when I connect my phone is my DCIM or photos . . . Anyone with an Iphone 5 know how to get deeper into the phone files?

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
CB/Rear Speakers
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors

Ride With Pride

Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #14

Hmm... If you're using a smartphone like an iPhone, I can't help but think you're all over complicating this... Here's what I do...

If you don't have a Google account, create one. Use Google maps to create your routes on your computer. You can have multiple waypoints. Save the route to your account/maps. Install Google Maps on your phone and set it to use your account. Your saved routes will be available to set as routes when out riding.

In addition, there are multiple apps (for free) that will log your tracks as you ride. You can send the resulting file to your email and load into Google Maps to use as future routes.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
hmmmm . . . for some reason the only folder I see when I connect my phone is my DCIM or photos . . . Anyone with an Iphone 5 know how to get deeper into the phone files?
You might need to use something like iFunBox or iExplorer - just until you see the light and come over to Android?

And in answer to NNJ, I've never liked Google Maps on my phone... It only loads a map for the immediate area, and then uses data along the route to load more maps. That's ok... so long as you can still access data wherever you go, and in NZ there are plenty of places you just can't. I prefer having the entire map loaded on my phone before I leave - like Sygic does.