Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

LED Bulb for License plate

Hi,
does anyone use an LED Bulb for the license plate light? I was thinking of changing my stock one to LED but I don't know the model number of the stock bulb.

Thanks.

Classic 1600, a.k.a. "The Black Stallion"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #2

Have you checked out Custom Dynamics website?
Try -> http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #3

If you do this let us know if the LED is brighter than the stock bulb. I installed a lay down license plate frame and its not lit up very well at night now. Dark enough where it could give the local LEO's cause to pull me over. If the LED works better i'll upgrade too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 05-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Now why does anyone want a well illuminated plate? I laid my plate down too and it is some hard to see it with my luggage. I kind of like it that way. Does the state need to own everything?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Now why does anyone want a well illuminated plate? I laid my plate down too and it is some hard to see it with my luggage. I kind of like it that way. Does the state need to own everything?
My thought exactly, I'd actually rub the plate with some steel wool to distress the numbers a little.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

I layed down my plate about 2 months ago and really like it. (I need to take some pics.) But now the light does not brighten up the plate like it used to and as Vulcan Bill said I don't want to give the LEO's a reason to pull me over. Though, I like the idea of not 'advertising' my plate too. Still deciding. I need to pull out the license plate bulb and see what model it is and then find a compatible LED bulb and give it a try.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

I'm not opposed to stopping at the local watering hole and drinking a beer (sometimes two ) and we have extrmemly harsh DWI laws here so you may begin to see why I don't want to give them any reason to want to pull me over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

Check out Custom Dynamics LED tag bolts. They do a real good job (at least for me that is)

Old 05-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
I'm not opposed to stopping at the local watering hole and drinking a beer (sometimes two ) and we have extrmemly harsh DWI laws here so you may begin to see why I don't want to give them any reason to want to pull me over.

I hear you. Better to fly low and avoid the radar.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #10

[QUOTE
Check out Custom Dynamics LED tag bolts. They do a real good job (at least for me that is)
QUOTE]

This is an interesting idea, I've seen these for sale all over the place. Which wire did you tap the LED tag bolts into? What color is the wire?
Thanks

Old 05-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
My thought exactly, I'd actually rub the plate with some steel wool to distress the numbers a little.
I would too, but I don't want to disgrace the image of the Old Man in the Mountains, who has gone on vacation since May 2003 and i have done my best to cover for him, hence that sig line photo.

OT: At this point the only place i know I have any privacy left is in my bed room and then only with the tv, radio and pc OFF.

Cops don't friggin need to be every where. This country is a far cry from what it was.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
OT: At this point the only place i know I have any privacy left is in my bed room and then only with the tv, radio and pc OFF.
Exactly what I love about riding motorcycles and why i don't have a radio on mine. Its the only place left in my world where I can go to be isolated from the rest of the world for a few hours.