Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #1

Pull trailer with Nomad

I have a 2000 Nomad and want to build a trailer to pull with it. I have a lightweight boat trailer that I was going to cut down and use. From what I have read, a trailer should be about the width of the saddle bags (tire to tire) and no more. Do any of you have experience making one? I also put my second clutch spring in it (40,000). Would pulling the trailer wear it out quicker?
Thanks,
zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #2

Pull trailer with Nomad

My friend bought one of these: (copy and paste entire link)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIGGY...spagenameZWDVW

Its really nice and priced good. I've also seen used ones as low as 200 dollars for sale locally. I would go that route because everything you need comes in the box and it takes the guess work out of it (unless you like doing projects like that)

Old 07-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #3

Pull trailer with Nomad

Thanks wolfman but the link is closed. I found another one like though. Yeah I like making things myself. That way I know how well it's put together. I have already made my receiver hitch. I just need to run the wires for the lights and build the trailer. I don't want the fiberglass luggage box because they are wider than my saddle bags. I would probably hang something if it sticks out that far. I also wanted a strealined trailer that matches my bike black & chrome). I also want to add a gas can holder for those long trips. I usually run about 90 or a 100 miles then fill up without knowing where the next gas station is located. I may make a box out of the aluminum sheet metal I use on my dirt car. It's lightweight and easy to work with. Thanks for the reply!
zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group

Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #4

Pull trailer with Nomad

Hi Zoom,
Would you have spec's on receiver hitch you made and or pic's.
If so and if you want to share please e-mail to rickneast@verizon.net .
Thanks,
Rick in Va

Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #5

Pull trailer with Nomad

Rick,
I sent you a bunch of pictures that may help.
Bobby

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #6

Pull trailer with Nomad

Rick,
I forgot to tell you that for the actual hitch ball and support - I used a standard 1 7/8 ball and arm made for a chevy truck but I cut the big 2" square tubing off and welded a 1" solid bar to it that I drilled for a pin so I can take it off when not being used. I also welded a small plate to the cross brace that is for mounting the quick connect for the wiring.
Bobby

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group

Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Pull trailer with Nomad

I have a trailer (made by a fellow in Alberta Canada) the website link is:
http://www3.telus.net/motorcycletrai...rcycle_trailer

Also I can send you a pic of it behind my bike.....but there is a pic behind a NOMAD on the site...may give you some idea's as well since you are building your own.

Also remember to make sure the tongue of the trailer and the axle of the trailer are in direct line with your final drive (hub) of the NOMAD this way it will pull much easier and you will not even know it's behind you!!! As well I would suggest a torsion axle instead of the leaf spring mine has. I may modify it and change to that setup as I find unloaded it's bouncy on rough roads a bit...but it could be hooked to the car and used to pull quite a bit if need be as is so I may just leave it.
I think there are dimensions on his site but if you need them let me know and I can get them from my setup.

Regards

Scott.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #8

Pull trailer with Nomad

Look in the "Nomad Spotlight" you will see a pic of the trailer I semi-fabricated. I have towed this trailer several thousands of miles and have been very happy with it. It's the small Harbor Freight trailer. I basically cut out a section from the center, then re-welded everything back together. I made sure the trailer would be no wider than the widest thing on the bike. NOW here's the magic measurement. You want to make sure that the wheel center to wheel center measurement is 1/2 of the axle to the tongue distance. I also removed (I think) two leafs from the springs, just leaving the one spring. The Nomad really doesn't know it's there, and with those two nice big discs up front, stopping is not an issue.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #9

Pull trailer with Nomad

I can't believe he hasn't posted yet but cactusjack built his from the ground up and had the most detailed posts on his progress. If he doesn't chime in soon, pm him and ask him for lessons learned. He did a great job on his.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Pull trailer with Nomad

I built mine from a Harbor Freight Tools utility trailer kit and then added a cartop carrier on the chassis. I towed it successfully to Custer and back. I did cut about 4" out of the middle to narrow the trailer to fit the width of the cartop carrier better, but it is still several inches wider than the widest part of my Nomad. I also removed the smaller "helper" leaf from the springs and mounted the axle on top of the springs instead of below them for a lower profile.

If I were to do it again, I'd have found a narrower container in order to get the trailer closer to the width of the bike. Also, having a clamshell design (hinged at the front) on the cargo box makes it a PITA to load/unload at times.

I am strongly considering buying a pre-fab trailer like Mitch has. I was very impressed by the design and quality of his trailer when I saw it in person. You already have a hitch, otherwise I would recommend one of the hitches that our own Chuckster makes and sells.

Below is a picture of my trailer near Jacob Lake AZ, on my way home from Custer.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #11

Pull trailer with Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

Also, having a clamshell design (hinged at the front) on the cargo box makes it a PITA to load/unload at times.

Below is a picture of my trailer near Jacob Lake AZ, on my way home from Custer.
CJ,

Gadget changed his to a side opener with a piano hinge.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer_changes_lid.jpg

Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #12

Pull trailer with Nomad

Quote:
From what I have read, a trailer should be about the width of the saddle bags (tire to tire) and no more.
Why i wonder?? Mine is about 40 inches wide (1 meter),
and i don´t have any trouble towing mine..
But one thing i lerned is that the distance between the
hitchball and trailer axle should be atleast 1,5 times longer
than the width of the trailer.
Good luck!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #13

Pull trailer with Nomad

Man that is gorgeous. I love that look. Nice job.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Pull trailer with Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

Also, having a clamshell design (hinged at the front) on the cargo box makes it a PITA to load/unload at times.

CJ,

Gadget changed his to a side opener with a piano hinge.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer_changes_lid.jpg
I am aware of that, I'm just not interested in doing that. Thanks, though.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Pull trailer with Nomad

I made a HF kit trailer for under 300 bucks. It isn't pretty but it works.

The kit from HF was the same cost it is today, and the topper I bought just happened to be on sale at Sears for 68 bucks instead of 99.99.

I was in somewhat of a hurry to close out an apt and get on the road, so I left out one leaf spring per side, leaving one, and used a little pick up truck bed fender alloy as diamond plate hammered flat for a cooler carrier. I spaced it so a 50 cal ammo box fit between, and added a few more ammo boxes around the sides.

I even bolted things under the plywood deck, like a grill, a spare tire, some campinf pads bits cut to use as seat cusions on a joint compound bucket, and a ATV gun case made longer that it was becaise you can't buy a gin case long enough for a Kentucky Rifle.

Rather than force you to see ugly here is the link to it...

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...oast/?start=80

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it