Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Hot air runs like crap!!

So my CA 2015 Vaquero does not like hot weather at all and coughs and sputters. Done this to me 4 times now everytime the air temp is over 80ish. I have COBRA Tri-Ovals, Dynojet Pcv (mapped) and K&N air filter. Also the O2 sensor has a DynoJet delete (part#7642-3021) AND I completely removed the Pare Valve, Sensor delete, and plugged the lines leading to each cylinder. STILL have chronic decel popping( which if the Pare valve is the guilty culprit for popping, mine should be zero.) The bike did this BEFORE the Pare valve removal and delete. And I used to have a Cobra 2000R on it, thought that was the issue, but NOOO. Service guy thinks maybe gas in Cali. I run Chevron Premium, seems to be worse on Union 76 Premium. I have a Thunder Mfg. air cleaner coming this week, hoping that will do it. Otherwise I guess move the Air Temp Sensor off air cleaner and mount it forward? Geez for a new bike what a bunch of issues! I should have left it stock, but hate quiet pipes. Ugh!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Maybe the air temp sensor and/or ECU possibly defective? Short that only occurs when it gets hot (I'm thinking the recall here)?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

Got my letter in the mail this eve. regarding my bike on the list for the recall. Wouldn't that be Wonderful!!

Old 09-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenut51 View Post
So my CA 2015 Vaquero does not like hot weather at all and coughs and sputters. Done this to me 4 times now everytime the air temp is over 80ish. I have COBRA Tri-Ovals, Dynojet Pcv (mapped) and K&N air filter. Also the O2 sensor has a DynoJet delete (part#7642-3021) AND I completely removed the Pare Valve, Sensor delete, and plugged the lines leading to each cylinder. STILL have chronic decel popping( which if the Pare valve is the guilty culprit for popping, mine should be zero.) The bike did this BEFORE the Pare valve removal and delete. And I used to have a Cobra 2000R on it, thought that was the issue, but NOOO. Service guy thinks maybe gas in Cali. I run Chevron Premium, seems to be worse on Union 76 Premium. I have a Thunder Mfg. air cleaner coming this week, hoping that will do it. Otherwise I guess move the Air Temp Sensor off air cleaner and mount it forward? Geez for a new bike what a bunch of issues! I should have left it stock, but hate quiet pipes. Ugh!!
I had a 2011 Vaquero with: V&H slipons, Thunder air kit utilizing stock air cleaner outer shell, PC5 and Auto Tune with o2 sensor. The best luck I had with the bike was using Dynojets map for V&H slipons with stock air filter and I set the auto tune to +-10 and never added back to the basic map. This did not stop all of the popping on downshift but no popping between shifts at any rpm but there definitely was a decrease in power output with the increase in outside air temps, winter in Arizona it ran well but in the summer not so much.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

It is a o2 eliminator problem. I have the same problem after mine warms up. For now Dynojet has told me to leave the o2 sensor plugged up. They are supposed to be getting a 2015 Vaq in to do further testing. It is a closed loop problem. When you give it more throttle it goes away correct? Call Todd Le at Dynojet and put pressure on him. I have waiting for almost four months for the new o2 optimizer fix. I also replied back to them just today on email. Let us know what they say.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenut51 View Post
Surely you folks have read about adding a manual fan switch. RacnRay is the man who started it I think. I installed a switch on mine and it stays at whatever temp it was at when i flip the switch, it's like a new bike. On the decel popping.....you probably had it a certain amount when it had stock pipes but you just couldn't hear it. Try adding a thunder intake gasket as there is an air leak issue in that area with some bikes

Old 09-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #7

When the outside air is kinda hot it falls on its face if I give it throttle. I can hook the O2 sensor back up because I had a bung welded on the Cobra exhaust and see what that does. I have the Thunder intake gasket installed too. Well Re-Connecting the O2 senor was a huge mistake! I noticed the flat spot in the 2 to 3 thousand rpm range, like when it was stock. But on the way home I blew an ECU fuse. Engine quit altogether and luckily only 5 blocks from home it coasted right into the garage. Whew! I highly recommend putting a fuse tester in the tool kit on these bikes. Called Dynojet today and they think something is going on with the bike's ECU. Needless to say the O2 sensor is unplugged again. Thanks people!

Last edited by bikenut51; 09-23-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

According to Ray, these bikes retard the timing once the temp gets so high to prevent detonation. Have no doubt this is true since most cars with knock sensors do the same thing. Using the manual fan switch should eliminate this by keeping the bike cooler. On his many dyno runs, he noticed a drop in hp once the temp gauge got so high.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomi1 View Post
I had a 2011 Vaquero with: V&H slipons, Thunder air kit utilizing stock air cleaner outer shell, PC5 and Auto Tune with o2 sensor. The best luck I had with the bike was using Dynojets map for V&H slipons with stock air filter and I set the auto tune to +-10 and never added back to the basic map. This did not stop all of the popping on downshift but no popping between shifts at any rpm but there definitely was a decrease in power output with the increase in outside air temps, winter in Arizona it ran well but in the summer not so much.
They also use different fuel here in AZ in the summer as opposed to winter. At least they do in the PHX area, not sure about the other parts of the state.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #10

Cactus Jack, do you have any problems with heat on the hottest AZ days
with your HD?