Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Ivan ecu flash results

Today my ECU came home from Ivan. I hooked it up and ran the bike for about a mile before rain came round. Everything said on his website on the list of benefits is true and real. If anyone has any questions about how my Vaquero runs now feel free to shoot.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by hlknvlcn60; 03-04-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

You're killing me - let's hear it!!

Old 03-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Okay well all I can say is that this is a must do to get the 1700 motors to run like they are meant to run. All the problems we try to solve with power commanders, EJK fuel modulators and more are not going to go away.....you have to remap the ECU because that is where all the problems are. What Ivan does is get the bugs out of the unit and wipes out all the restrictions. The ignition timing is changed, the fueling, and so many more functions as well. After a short ride yesterday, the engine on my Vaquero felt like a very different motor. Right off the get go, throttling from idle was spot-on, instantaneous, glitch and hesitation free, and crisp. You have this all the way through the rev range, any gear, any RPM and now the motor feels like satin.....smooth, running like it should have all along. And I could not get the motor to backfire no matter how hard I tried. The decel problems are totally history. I had a Dobeck's fuel processor in the bike and Ivan had me take it out before running the bike with his ECU tuning. I am back to direct factory original settings on the bike for the FI plug-in and now, I will never had to deal with trying to tune the bike to run right, it is done. It runs perfect and that with a Thunder Tornado intake and FP 2-1 pipe. My switch air valves are plugged off too....I also have the Thunder intake manifold gasket in place but this may not be an issue. This tuning is the last detail to get your bike to run perfect.....everyone who has a 1700......do the right thing and send your ECU to Ivan. He is a top notch pro and an excellent consultant and will be with you all the way until you are ripping down the highways with a fat smile on your face. You won't believe how well your ride will be after getting this done and even below 2,000 RPM....smooth as silk running slower speeds in the lower gears. Everything is right and I even noticed my bike is running cooler now too. That about sums it up if there are any more questions please ask.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Last edited by hlknvlcn60; 03-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

would love to see you do a video and then post it.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
Advanced Member

That would be an interesting endeavor...I need to purchase a GoPro.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

Well, you convinced me to go to the next step and have a chat with Ivan. Thanks !!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
Advanced Member

HeyJoe you won't regret it. I am sure he services ECUs for Canadian residents too. He has this great NY accent and is fun to talk to and a cool guy. He will be in his office Monday 10-6 eastern time and if he's on the dyno and his help answers, just leave a message and he will get right back to you. He will get you set up and you will be off and running. Get it done and the first time you take your bike out, you will have a huge smile on your face! He will ask you how your bike is set up, (intake, pipes, etc.) so have all that first hand ready on the phone. Let me/us know!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

no need for a gopro.....just wanted to hear what the 2 into 1 pipes sounds like.
Love a deeper rumble as opposed 2 into 2.
I might be interested in actually riding down to NY. Gives me a hell of a reason for a road trip.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
Okay well all I can say is that this is a must do to get the 1700 motors to run like they are meant to run. All the problems we try to solve with power commanders, EJK fuel modulators and more are not going to go away.....you have to remap the ECU because that is where all the problems are. What Ivan does is get the bugs out of the unit and wipes out all the restrictions. The ignition timing is changed, the fueling, and so many more functions as well. After a short ride yesterday, the engine on my Vaquero felt like a very different motor. Right off the get go, throttling from idle was spot-on, instantaneous, glitch and hesitation free, and crisp. You have this all the way through the rev range, any gear, any RPM and now the motor feels like satin.....smooth, running like it should have all along. And I could not get the motor to backfire no matter how hard I tried. The decel problems are totally history. I had a Dobeck's fuel processor in the bike and Ivan had me take it out before running the bike with his ECU tuning. I am back to direct factory original settings on the bike for the FI plug-in and now, I will never had to deal with trying to tune the bike to run right, it is done. It runs perfect and that with a Thunder Tornado intake and FP 2-1 pipe. My switch air valves are plugged off too....I also have the Thunder intake manifold gasket in place but this may not be an issue. This tuning is the last detail to get your bike to run perfect.....everyone who has a 1700......do the right thing and send your ECU to Ivan. He is a top notch pro and an excellent consultant and will be with you all the way until you are ripping down the highways with a fat smile on your face. You won't believe how well your ride will be after getting this done and even below 2,000 RPM....smooth as silk running slower speeds in the lower gears. Everything is right and I even noticed my bike is running cooler now too. That about sums it up if there are any more questions please ask.

I know it's kinda early but I am interested in your fuel mileage. Right know I can get a constant 45 to 48.5 mpg. Stock engine, pipes and air filter....doing 60 to 65 out on the highway or interstate.

My angle is cutting down on parasitic drag. Meaning air drag and tire rolling resistance.

Sometimes enriching the fuel can be an improvement and sometimes not.

Sooo when you get a feel for what your fuel mileage, I would like to hear you thoughts on what you see.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I am thinking my fuel mileage is going to be better now with different ignition timing and no fuel processor anymore. Except of course, those moments when I am getting a little ham fisted, having fun opening the throttle and making runs up to 110 on some of our remote backroads! I will do an "average" cruise day soon when the weather calms down out here and see a little improvement hopefully. The 2-1 pipe sounds pretty good from Freedom, deep rich and throaty, and makes good power. Maybe I can do a video with my camera.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:16 AM   #11

I see you had Rac'n Ray throttle mod done. Was wondering if you had to take it off after the ECU was Ivanized or did you leave it on?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Good question Bunky...when I ran the bike the throttle mod, it did not interfere at all. If you have had this done, you can leave it and everything will work just fine. If anything, it makes it even better. You will still have supreme control.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Today my ECU came home from Ivan. I hooked it up and ran the bike for about a mile before rain came round. Everything said on his website on the list of benefits is true and real. If anyone has any questions about how my Vaquero runs now feel free to shoot.
That's Awesome! How difficult is it to remove the ECU? I have a 2013 Voyager. I believe its under the seat? not sure.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
Advanced Member

99xcsp.....you are right. Take off your seat, then remove the battery cover. The little basket/box that the ECU sits in is just right next to the battery in the battery box with the battery and you will see a group of 5 wire harnesses connected into it. Carefully start to lift the box up a little, then CAREFULLY unplug the front 3 connectors that go into the chassis relay first, then disconnect the 2 harnesses connecting into the ECU. Move the wires off to the side then lift the basket out completely away from the bike, bring it to your bench. You leave the 3 plug relay in the basket then carefully pry out the ECU. I shoved it up a little from the bottom too because it's in there pretty tight as it is held in there with a rubber damper in the slot. Just work it a little tenderly and it will come right up. You are now ready to bubble wrap it and send it off to Ivan but call him first before you do. Click on the link he posted and go to his website. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
99xcsp.....you are right. Take off your seat, then remove the battery cover. The little basket/box that the ECU sits in is just right next to the battery in the battery box with the battery and you will see a group of 5 wire harnesses connected into it. Carefully start to lift the box up a little, then CAREFULLY unplug the front 3 connectors that go into the chassis relay first, then disconnect the 2 harnesses connecting into the ECU. Move the wires off to the side then lift the basket out completely away from the bike, bring it to your bench. You leave the 3 plug relay in the basket then carefully pry out the ECU. I shoved it up a little from the bottom too because it's in there pretty tight as it is held in there with a rubber damper in the slot. Just work it a little tenderly and it will come right up. You are now ready to bubble wrap it and send it off to Ivan but call him first before you do. Click on the link he posted and go to his website. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Thank you. Cheers!