Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Pissed 1999 Nomad will not start

OK, new here but have been riding over forty years. I have a 1999 Nomand that will not start. Went for a ride, no problems. Came home and shut it and the gas off. Came out to move it, fired right up, had left gas off since l was only moving iit about ten feet. Died from lack of gas, backfired once slightly as l tried to give it gas. ( stupid l know ) Will NOT even fire up now. Has strong spark, compression, YES I turned the gas back on. Won't even pop on starting fluid. I am lost !!!! Has gas too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

Check your carb boot.

Any backfire can dislodge them, especially if the clamp hasn't been tightened lately.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
Check your carb boot.

Any backfire can dislodge them, especially if the clamp hasn't been tightened lately.

MT
But would that keep it from firing even with starting fluid ? I have tried the carb AND the sparkplug holes with no success.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Here's a long short in the dark. Check your ignition switch, there is a small diode installed inline (gray wire) that could possibly be bad. My did the same thing last year. It was in the shop for 2 weeks and the mechanic could not get it to run. I brought it home and started doing some research and found a video on youtube that showed the diode and the results of how it operates. It is a security feature that if the switch is ever cutout it breaks the circuit to the CPU igniter. Without the diode it will not run. The diode reduces the voltage to the CPU from 12 to 6/9 volts. If your switch is stock, it will be located on the underside. Hope this helps.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
99's were known to do that..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmann View Post
But would that keep it from firing even with starting fluid ? I have tried the carb AND the sparkplug holes with no success.
If you're putting it in the carb and the boot is off, it can't get into the cylinders.

Putting it in the plug holes may allow it to blow out before you try to start it, One of the valves may be open.

Take a plug and put the plug wire on it, turn the bike over and see if it sparks.

If it sparks, it isn't the resistor at the switch. One of those cost me a week once.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
If you're putting it in the carb and the boot is off, it can't get into the cylinders.

Putting it in the plug holes may allow it to blow out before you try to start it, One of the valves may be open.

Take a plug and put the plug wire on it, turn the bike over and see if it sparks.

If it sparks, it isn't the resistor at the switch. One of those cost me a week once.

MT
I have a spark plug adaptor that attaches to the plug and into the plug wire. And it flashes as l crank it over , indicating that l do indeed have spark. And a fairly strong one . So l assume the resistor is not an issue ??? Or is it something to look into ? All your help and iideas are greatly appreciated , as l have be dead in the water with this for three weeks now.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

It takes 3 basic things for an engine to run: fuel, air, and spark. Compression helps, too. You say you have spark. Okay, what about fuel and air?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #9

Like Mas Said Check the Carb Boot ! We Had One on here last week done same thing backfire then no start .Blew the boot off resulting in no intake vacu to pull in air/fuel mixture . No vac also results into no slide movement . CV carb has to have vac .

Old 06-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #10

Mas is right.I had the carb off of mine a few weeks ago,and did'nt tighten the clamp enough.Same story,bike backfired as i gave a blip to change down a gear,and would'nt start or even fire.Sure enough,the carb had blown itself off the rubber intake.It only just sits inside the intake by a small amount,and is easy to dislodge.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #11
Advanced Member

spray some carb cleaner directly into the intake of the carb, if there is an intake air leak, the extra fuel will make the bike run better, if it runs better doing that, then you have an air leak

Old 06-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #12

I did see the top of what looks like a carb boot slightly ajar on the top. NOT off. But will check into it once l get home. Thanks again guys. I will let you know what l find out , either way.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmann View Post
I did see the top of what looks like a carb boot slightly ajar on the top. NOT off. But will check into it once l get home. Thanks again guys. I will let you know what l find out , either way.

You need to take the tank off.8mm socket on the speedo housing,undo cable from the front wheel before lifting it,or you wont have any room to move.1x 12mm bolt under it and the seat.Disconnect the 2 plug ins,1black,1 white,just beneath the bridge on the tank.Disconnect fuel line on the tap,make sure its horizontal and off.Lift the tank up and back 3-6inches and look for another white connector,this goes to the fuel guage at the back of the tank,and is easy to overlook,tearing the wires out of the guage.Remove the air filter and backing plate on the right hand side,undo the 2x 8mm bolts on the retaining bracket holding the carb on.Undo the screw on the rubber boot,push the carb back into place and refit the retaining bracket BEFORE re-tightening the screw on the boot clamp.Reverse order and your all done mate.It should take you 30 minutes,ive done it so many times i can do it in about 10.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #14

Thumbs Up

Guess what ? UP AND RUNNING !!!!! It was indeed the carb boot. I can't believe that kept it from even firing. THANK YOU !!!! THANK YOU !!!!!

Old 06-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #15

Result. I dont think these bikes like the throttle being blipped until the engine is warm.