Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Error code 58

Stopped and got gas this morning. Premium at Quick Trip. Never any issues before. Rode about 1/2 mile with no problems. Getting on the highway I hit the gas and it just gives up. Error code 58, FI light flashing and it only runs at about 1800rpm.

Limped about a mile down the road to another gas station. Took off the seat and looked at the pcv. Nothing looks wrong there. Tried to look closer at the intake wiring on the intake. Really too dark and the bike is too hot to do much. Turned the key back on, no error code. Hop on and head back out on the street. Same thing.

Managed to limp it back home. Luckily I could take the back streets and no traffic.

I see that is a ETV actuator malfunction, wiring open or short. Anyone else have this come up?

Waiting for it to get light out to look further.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Found the diagnosis in the service manual. (pages 171, 172)

Just about light enough to start working. Wish I could say it was a cool morning to do this.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Great. While checking the code, it tosses an 18 too. Still stuck in limp mode.

Tow truck on it's way. $50 deductible on the extended warranty. Figure that's a lot less aggravating than chasing codes.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 08-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Good luck

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #5

Will they blame the ECU Reflash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Great. While checking the code, it tosses an 18 too. Still stuck in limp mode.

Tow truck on it's way. $50 deductible on the extended warranty. Figure that's a lot less aggravating than chasing codes.
I'll be interested if they try and blame your re-flash.

Good Luck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
I'll be interested if they try and blame your re-flash.

Good Luck.

I would not volunteer this information to them as they would not know the ECU has been re-flashed unless you tell them.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #7

What is ETV actuator? Keep us informed in what happens hear. How many miles on the bike?

Old 08-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Advanced Member

I tried to check the stuff listed in the manual. 45 minutes looking for my good meter. Gave up and found the free harbor freight one. And only one lead. Found the good meter, both leads, one is broken. The leads won't interchange. Went and bought a new one, couldn't get a good reading on the ecm pins. They don't have to take it out, just pull one plug. From there is was check a relay next to the ecm. Pulled it, then needed a 12v power supply. If I had some more leads, I could have used the battery. If that was bad, it would have been on the check the actuator on the throttle body. At this point, I had spent 45 minutes hunting tools, 20 minutes getting a new one, 45 minutes trying to get my printer to work so I could take the 2 pages from the online manual out to the bike. It was sunny and hot, and all my work is done in the driveway.

Hoping to get an idea of what it would cost. Then said, I have a warranty, why am I even doing this. At the bike shop now. Should get word later today what it is. Relay is about 35 bucks. New throttle body is about 750. Deductible is 50, so even if it is the relay, the diagnostic check would have made it cost more. But it is nice knowing what it could be before they try to tell me it's something completely different.

Also had not had the wiring recall done yet, so that's getting done as well.

My wife didn't have a reply when I said it was a good thing I hadn't sold the old C90 yet.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #9

Any update on this?
Or did it get posted elsewhere?
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 08-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Any update on this?
Or did it get posted elsewhere?
Haven't heard back from the dealer. Was expecting a call yesterday. Waiting for them to open this morning.

I'll keep all the updates here.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Talked to the service guy. He was hoping it would just be a simple code reset. It's not, so they have to do some more diagnostic checks.

Also in for the wiring harness recall. That part should be in today. Figured he might be better off putting the new harness on, the trying to find the problem. Not sure, but if it's something like a wiring short, problem may be solved right there.

So in the meantime, I'm still riding the old C90. Every day I keep riding it is another day of me saying I should just keep it.

Edit to say: Definitely keeping the Vaq for my main ride. Originally, some idiot told his wife he would sell the C90.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Last edited by Scootergptx; 08-10-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Talked to the service guy. He was hoping it would just be a simple code reset. It's not, so they have to do some more diagnostic checks.

Also in for the wiring harness recall. That part should be in today. Figured he might be better off putting the new harness on, the trying to find the problem. Not sure, but if it's something like a wiring short, problem may be solved right there.

So in the meantime, I'm still riding the old C90. Every day I keep riding it is another day of me saying I should just keep it.

Edit to say: Definitely keeping the Vaq for my main ride. Originally, some idiot told his wife he would sell the C90.
I'd hunt said idiot down and give him a talking to.
The tech is probably right about replacing the recalled harness first. Obviously it was problematic in some fashion.
" That's just one less thing to worry about" Forrest Gump

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 08-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Ok, just got off the phone with the dealer. They put the new wiring harness in under the recall, and it's not giving any codes now. Tech took it out for a good run yesterday and said it was running great.

Better news is, they're not charging for the diagnosis since the recall fixed it.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 08-25-2016, 05:07 AM   #14

Urah! Excellent!

Ride safe,

Smokier

Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Well, that lasted about 5 seconds.

Went to pick the bike up. Was sitting ready to go with the key in it. Turned it on, error code 58. Ok, I know we can't clear these, so I hit the S button to clear. Look and see the FI light flashing too. Bike is in limp mode. Guy apologizes and said it ran fine yesterday. Ok, if it hadn't done this to me too, I'd be skeptical. So, back in the shop it goes. Notice three plugs and a loose wire. Ok, may be a problem. So he checks, and the person working on it says that pcv, he didn't hook it back up. Since it's been ivanized, been thinking about taking it off, just didn't have the time. So I tell them to just take it out and put it in the saddlebag. Less wires for them to have to work around. And I don't have to do it.

So pretty much back to square one. Not sure how long this will take, or how much it will cost. Glad I got that warranty when I bought the bike.

I'll update when I get any news. Good or bad.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash