Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Cruise control not working

I have an '09 Nomad with 104K miles on it and the cruise control is no longer working. It has been getting progressively worse in that it would work/not work intermittently until it now no longer works. I have tried cleaning then replacing the sensor at the foot brake since that seemed to be a problem in some of the threads. I have also sprayed WD-40 in the handlebar switch. I have run the Cruise Control System Switch Inspection per the manual and it has always passed the tests. The following is from the manual:

Cruise Control Set Indicator Light (LED) Inspection
•The cruise control set indicator light (LED) [A] actually goes on at the cruise control condition.
••Cruise Control Main Conditions:
•••The cruise control ON/OFF button is ON position.
•••The vehicle speed is 48 ~ 137 km/h (30 ~ 85 mph).
•••The gear position is 3rd, 4th, 5th or OD (6th).
•••Any service code does not appear.
•••The cruise control switch (SET/–) pushed to ON.

•If the cruise control set indicator light (LED) does not go on at the cruise control condition, check the following items.
••Right Handlebar Switch Housing (see Switch Inspection)
••Speed Sensor (see Speed Sensor Inspection)
••Gear Position Switch (see Gear Position Switch Inspection)
••Cruise Control System Switches (see Cruise Control System Switch Inspection)

•If the above items are good, replace the meter base and/or ECU.

The last sentence above would seem to indicate that I need to replace the meter base and/or the ECU.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I do this? How do I determine which one to do first? I would assume one would replace the meter base before replacing the ECU?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by paddyo; 08-07-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Have you run the on-board diagnostics?
Put the transmission in 1st gear, press and hold the S button, turn the ignition to ON.
CHEC will be displayed on your screen, what number is displayed below it?

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
Have you run the on-board diagnostics?
Put the transmission in 1st gear, press and hold the S button, turn the ignition to ON.
CHEC will be displayed on your screen, what number is displayed below it?
Yes. I have run it several times as the problem has been developing and it has always passed the test, even when running it immediately after arriving when the cruise control was not working.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Advanced Member

So your Cruise light comes on after pressing the on/off button, and the Set light comes on after pressing the set/- but cruise doesn't engage, right? Then I'd be looking at the ECU. Is there anyone local with a Nomad or Voyager you could swap ECU s with before you spend the big bucks on a new one?

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

One more thing to try. If you stop and shut off the bike, the cruise will not set until you use or tap the brake. Just something I noticed on my Voyager.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
So your Cruise light comes on after pressing the on/off button, and the Set light comes on after pressing the set/- but cruise doesn't engage, right? Then I'd be looking at the ECU. Is there anyone local with a Nomad or Voyager you could swap ECU s with before you spend the big bucks on a new one?
The Cruise light DOES come on after pressing the on/off button but the Set light does NOT come on after pressing the set button and the cruise control does NOT engage.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman2011 View Post
One more thing to try. If you stop and shut off the bike, the cruise will not set until you use or tap the brake. Just something I noticed on my Voyager.
I will give this a try and let you know what happens.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
The Cruise light DOES come on after pressing the on/off button but the Set light does NOT come on after pressing the set button and the cruise control does NOT engage.
Which sensor on the foot brake ? There are two. One for the brake light and one (the one under foot rest) for the cruise. This one is known to fail. Broken wire ?

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 08-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
Which sensor on the foot brake ? There are two. One for the brake light and one (the one under foot rest) for the cruise. This one is known to fail. Broken wire ?

Cu,
Sven
Because of problems I read about this sensor, I first tried cleaning it. It did not help. I then replaced it. it did not help. The cruise control continues not to work.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
I will give this a try and let you know what happens.
This did not make a difference. The cruise control continues not to work.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Is there anyone local with a Nomad or Voyager you could swap ECU s with before you spend the big bucks on a new one?
That is a good idea. I am about an hour north of Tampa, FL. Is there anyone in that area who would be willing to meet up with me so we could swap ECUs or meter bases to see which one fixes the problem?

Edit:
Looking at the partzilla website, it appears the part number for the ECU is for the 2009 and 2010 model years of the Nomads and Voyagers. So it would appear it would need to be a Nomad or Voyager from 2009 or 2010 in order to swap ECUs.

The part number for the meter base would be for 2009-2013 Nomads. So it would appear it would need to be a Nomad from 2009-2013 in order to swap meter bases.

Last edited by paddyo; 08-10-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 AM   #12

Other than swapping out the parts, is there any way to test whether the ECU or the meter base are bad? I am trying to stay away from my local dealer because I think it will turn into a part swapping exercise. I can do that without their additional cost.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes. I have run it several times as the problem has been developing and it has always passed the test, even when running it immediately after arriving when the cruise control was not working.
When you say it always passed the test, there was no fault number displayed. Did you also operate all 7 switches to get each number up?

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
Advanced Member

WD-40 does not conduct electricity nor clean the contacts. Electrical contact cleaner does. Perhaps you have made the problem worse. Take it apart and clean it properly.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #15

After I wrote a detailed procedure per the Voyager Manual I realized that he had a Nomad. Also, looks like you've been through the ringer on the tests. So I deleted the post.

That said - I know that the Voyagers had an issue with the Gear Shift Indicator not showing the CORRECT gear - I replaced a couple on my 2009 Voyager. Does your gear shift indicator ALWAYS show the correct Gear?

I've heard several say that they never worried about getting it fixed because "they could count and didn't need the bike to tell them what gear they were in". With the Neutral Switch / Gear Shift position being part of the Cruise - Just pondering.