Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

good seat that lowers some

Got a 2009 Voyager, being a shorta$$ I put the lowering kit on and still would like a bit more. I can touch the ground flatfooted but would like a bit more just to give me a bit of a fudge factor should I get in a hollow.
Anyone recommend an aftermarket seat that would lower me a bit and still allows me to use the backrest? Anyone have a second hand one to sell?
I'm going in for hip replacement surgery end of march and I'd like to have the ole girl ready when I am...................Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #2

Good Question the seat height has been what kept Me away from the Voyager . That and Love of My Nomad !

Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #3

You could have Mean City modify your seat.
http://www.meancitycycles.com/
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

any reputable trim shop could trim the stock seat, you could even do it yourself its pretty easy. remove the seat, flip it over and you will see staples around the entire edge remove those and the leather cover will come off. then take a file or very sharp long knife/blade and trim the foam down. test it out then install the leather cover with new staples.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Lots of videos on Youtube on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...torcycle+seats

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

I have trimmed down seats on some of my old race bikes. for the same reason, my legs are not as long as the bikes were tall.
if you follow the same advice of removing the seat cover then to trim down the foam, use an electric carving knife. it will do it easy and make the process smooth, and it is easy to shape it right. (Just don't Tell the wife what you are doing with her electric carving knife she may want to use it on you)

Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Specify which lowering kit. Luveran link adapters or Progressive springs and shocks? The later will provide a better result IMO as front and back are lowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Got a 2009 Voyager, being a shorta$$ I put the lowering kit on and still would like a bit more. I can touch the ground flatfooted but would like a bit more just to give me a bit of a fudge factor should I get in a hollow.
Anyone recommend an aftermarket seat that would lower me a bit and still allows me to use the backrest? Anyone have a second hand one to sell?
I'm going in for hip replacement surgery end of march and I'd like to have the ole girl ready when I am...................Mike

Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 AM   #8

Went with the Luveran link adapters. I might go the 'remove foam route', just a bit nervous of removing too much and creating pressure points.................M

Old 02-10-2017, 02:22 AM   #9

If you go the "remove foam" route, you could take one step further and replace some of the foam under your butt with some quality closed cell foam. It's what the aftermarket seat manufacturers like Mustang, Corbin, Russell etc use, and is readily available in various thicknesses.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 02-10-2017, 04:38 AM   #10
Advanced Member

When I bought my Corbin saddle, I had a specific shape in mind. And they didn't get it they way I wanted it the first time. So the builder took some clear shipping tape and stuck it to the sides in the areas where I wanted more support. He then mixed up some kind of liquid and poured it in where I wanted more support. This stuff cured in about 15 or 20 minutes. He took a 4" air grinder and blended the new material in and you wouldn't know it was added to the original pour or casting of the seat foam.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

i cut mine down @ an inch and re shaped the rear so i could scoot back -- if u dont get it smooth the ripples will show with cover on -- think if it was thinner in the area of ur sit bones it would be to much -- also i cut the top of the back down so the cover would fit better -- overall it made a noticeable diff and has worked well 30,000 miles -- i did it in 3-4 stages until i was satisfied -- if it wasnt for the money i would get a russell seat or a diamond

Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
*** more info on this here. cheers
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44939

Old 02-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #13

I really like my stock seat with a Mean City Cycle modification, too! Truly an all-day seat for me.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #14

A friend of mine lowers seats by removing foam, think I'm going that route. Want to get it off before 29 March, that's when I go in to get my hip done so for now, that's my plan......M

Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #15

Be very careful about ordering from Corbin if you are looking for a seat to lower you. Before placing your order they will tell you it will be made to solve any issues you have with the stock seat. After the order is placed and you receive the seat and it does not address your issues Corbin quickly tells you to send it back (at your cost one way) and they will fix for free. This was an issue as I live in eastern Canada and sending it back is really expensive. The problem with the seat is, while it may be lower, It moved my seating position at least 2" away from the handlebars. I never asked for that. You would think that this 2" movement would have been pointed out. Having short legs does not mean you have long arms! I tried different things like adjusting handlebars and purchasing risers but I am still too far from the bars so I finally decided to bite the bullet and have them fix it. I called them and they said that I now have to pay for shipping both ways and for any work on the seat as the warrantee has expired! Doesn't seem fair to me. Way to go Corbin!