Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Riser setup question

Bought a 2013 Vaquero with Dan Meyers 11" mini apes.

Here's what I wanna do and tell me if I can: install LA Choppers 5 1/2" Hefty with 1 3/4" pullback risers using Baron Custom Accessories - BA-7411-01 adapter bolts, having a local shop make a longer front brake line, reroute all other lines behind the triple tree top clamp.

The risers are made for Harley's, but the bolt kit are SAE on top and metric on the bottom. Do I have enough play in the rest of the line's? It seems as if this is doable, am I missing some glaring issue cuz I've searched and haven't read about anybody doing this.

I just want as much height as I can get with some pull back as well.

Thanks to anybody that takes the time to respond.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by UncleFappy; 12-14-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
install LA Choppers 5 1/2" Hefty with 1 3/4" pullback risers using Baron Custom Accessories
Post #1 = Welcome to the group, and congratulations on the new bike.

So let me understand this, you want to use 2 different items bolted on the same triple tree? and then add the bars to it ?

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 12-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the welcome mbarr10, and thanks for the interest.

I just listed the components I want to use. The risers are LA Choppers, they're 5 1/2" tall with 1 3/4" pullback. The Baron's items are just replacement/conversion bolts to allow using risers with SAE threads. I can't use the OEM bolts since they're in MM. Not adding another component, just swapping out what's already there. I think my main concern was the other lines/cables besides the front brake line being long enough after I remove the top triple tree clamp and reroute them behind it but asking you guys might bring up something else I was/am totally unaware of, like maybe lock to lock interference bars hitting windscreen/fairing or risers hitting tank. It doesn't look like it will but just being safe.
Thanks for taking the time.

Just to be clear: bottom to top - triple tree, then risers (with conversion bolts running thru them), attached to the Dan Meyers 11" mini apes.

Last edited by UncleFappy; 12-11-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #4

Nobody huh?

Old 12-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

Welcome from Northern California!

I'm sure that someone here can help you with this

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
maybe lock to lock interference bars hitting windscreen/fairing or risers hitting tank.
Ahh, Ok I get it now. All valid concerns. It can be done not sure on the gas tank clearance. Some here have used Sockets as risers. Where your bars end up is a trial and error for hitting the fairing and tank. All I have is, lots of people have to cut/ reshape taller windscreens when they use Apes. And Not seeing the apes and Never read about that tall of a riser, I would be no help. Based off my reading anything taller than 12" bars will need the longer brake lines. Your on the right path with correct expectations.

Have you searched this forum? It can be a great database, I use it all the time. Other wise I may suggest FB " Vaquero Nation" lots of Apes guys there. They are more into Sound and custom work.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 12-11-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #7

Thanks mbarr. Been mulling it over in my head for a few days, eyeballing the bike, tape measuring stuff....
I'm 6'4" so every bike I get I have to modify to make it comfortable to ride, or at least not make it look like I'm borrowing my daughter's Schwinn ;)
Bought/installed a Corbin seat to sit me deeper/further back, installed an Xtall Clearview windscreen, Longhorn footpegs, now I just gotta sort out the bar height/pullback.
I've checked around, apparently the most anybody's done is Chucksters 1 1/2" riser extensions or mini apes, not both.

I'll post my results, thanks again.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFappy View Post
Thanks mbarr. Been mulling it over in my head for a few days, eyeballing the bike, tape measuring stuff....
I'm 6'4" so every bike I get I have to modify to make it comfortable to ride, or at least not make it look like I'm borrowing my daughter's Schwinn ;)
Bought/installed a Corbin seat to sit me deeper/further back, installed an Xtall Clearview windscreen, Longhorn footpegs, now I just gotta sort out the bar height/pullback.
I've checked around, apparently the most anybody's done is Chucksters 1 1/2" riser extensions or mini apes, not both.

I'll post my results, thanks again.
This Corbin seat how does it fit you. Was it customized to fit you or just the standard model? Does it raise you up any?Did you get the drivers backrest?

Reason I ask is I to am 6'4" with a 37" inseam. and I called them but really didn't get a good feel of how it was going to fit. And they wouldn't guarantee any custom adjustments, with out a ride-in build.

Right now I am on schedule to do a Russell, But the Corbin is a better looking seat. As long as I can do 400-500 mile days on it for several weeks straight.

As for the risers I can't help. Mine is still stock. I put a spacer on the turn stop pin, then rolled bars as far forward as possible. I rode several 400 -500 miles days and no discomfort is shoulder/back or arms. But my seat and legs was not so happy on the stock seat.

I also put on the longhorns and have Kuryakan grips with the end weights, which I use to widen my grip. This help.

Since then I did the Chuckster brake and shifter extension. But have yet to ride as the weather turned and won't get to really try them out till spring. But they do allow forward placement of my feet.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #9

Hey Troy, I've had Corbin seats on the last three big bikes I've owned. 04' Vulcan Classic, '12 Nomad and now the '13 Vaq. AFAIK the Corbin is the only manufacturer that gets you lower and deeper, and they really do. I love 'em. On their website, the order form has a box you can add instructions in. I put "as deep and back as possible within reason". On my Nomad I could ride all day, and did. Took a trip (I live in Spring Hill Fl) up to N Georgia,, E Tenn, N Carolina this past June. No probs. First day was about 600 miles to Two Wheels of Suches. Rode at least 6 - 7 hrs every day for a week. I've had a Saddlemen (could only sit in it for about 1hr) a Mustand (returned it after sitting on it, sits higher than stock) and swear by the way too expensive and too long to get Corbins. I had the backrest on the Nomad, a must for trips. Have one for the Vaq but until I get the bar placement sorted out I can't lean back to use it!

Just so you know, they're very firm seats, but I like that.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #10

Welcome and Congratulations UncleFappy,

You have a collectible in those Don Meyers bars. (RIP). I cannot directly answer your question. Do know that there is some slack in the cables and wires, were re-routing may help. The front brake line IS the first hose to get tight. It gets tight just adding risers. I just purchased JSR Customs 12" bagger bars. Currently have the PHAT II risers and will try those two together. That said, the risers may go, do to stem to stem clearance with the faring and the front brake line.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 12-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #11

I looked as Phat II's! They didn't list any for 1 1/4" bars where'd you find them?! Are they pullbacks? How tall are they? I would love to use those, would save me having to use adapter/conversion bolts. Spill the beans smokier!!

Yeah I heard he passed from the guy I bought this bike from. Taking the brake line in today to get another made. Re-routing behind the triple tree top clamp should be sufficient, albeit a real PITA. Did the same with my Nomad, was easy cuz removing the windscreen and such was no big deal but working around this fairing might be tricky. The only other line that might give me some trouble seems to be the clutch. We'll see.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #12

Hey Smokier! I just realized you're the guy I was gonna buy the Corbin seat from! I hope you sold it bro. Only reason I backed out cuz it had the green bead around it. Didn't think it would've looked right on mine. Was a nice seat tho. I bit the bullet and $helled out for a new one.
Chuckster's BAK
Vance & Hines Slip ons
Corbin seat w/backrest
Clearview XTall Smoke Windscreen
Kawa Quick Release Backrest
Flat Black Saddlebag Top Rails
Cheap-ass wanna-be Longhorn style Highway pegs

Last edited by UncleFappy; 12-14-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #13

Ok, back to square one. I'm beginning to realize why I've not heard of anybody doing what I'm attempting. Come across a problem: the bolt thru the triple tree is 14mm diameter, the threading for SAE type risers is 1/2" (or 12.7mm too skinny), hence the need for adapter bolts but Baron's aren't big enough. You can't run 1/2" straight thru cuz they'll have too much play inside the triple tree clamp. I called Joe at Chuckster's, he'll manufacture a set for me but it's gonna be $20 a bolt. Any ideas? I guess it comes down to how bad I want 5 1/2" risers.
Chuckster's BAK
Vance & Hines Slip ons
Corbin seat w/backrest
Clearview XTall Smoke Windscreen
Kawa Quick Release Backrest
Flat Black Saddlebag Top Rails
Cheap-ass wanna-be Longhorn style Highway pegs

Old 12-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #14
Top Contributor

If you decide not to go with new bolts you need some tubing spacers with a 14mm outside diameter and a 1/2 bore to put in the triple tree.

14mm (0.551) outside diameter with a 0.500 bore = 0.027 wall

As an alternative maybe 0.025 steel shim stock would work as a last resort ?
Cut a piece of shim stock the same length as the circumference of the 14mm bolt and insert the shim stock from under the triple clamp after the 14mm bolt is inserted in place.

Last edited by redjay; 12-14-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #15

Standby on the PHAT II's

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFappy View Post
I looked as Phat II's! They didn't list any for 1 1/4" bars where'd you find them?! Are they pullbacks? How tall are they? I would love to use those, would save me having to use adapter/conversion bolts. Spill the beans smokier!!

Yeah I heard he passed from the guy I bought this bike from. Taking the brake line in today to get another made. Re-routing behind the triple tree top clamp should be sufficient, albeit a real PITA. Did the same with my Nomad, was easy cuz removing the windscreen and such was no big deal but working around this fairing might be tricky. The only other line that might give me some trouble seems to be the clutch. We'll see.
Don was a great guy. I had put in my order for a set of his bars, the following weekend was not a good one for any of us. Particularly Don and his family.

I suspect that the matte black Phat II's on my scoot will be up for sale soon. Have doubts that they and the bagger bars are gonna work together. The may not look good together either.

Yes, the Corbin went to a great new home. The green piping on the seat goes well with the green accent stripe on the '16 Vaquero!

Ride safe,
Smokier