Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

Removing exhaust studs. Risky?

Doing my exhaust swao went ok in one direction but now i habe a problem with VnH flange being so bad that i cut it off and the stock two piecer not fitting with the VnH pipes.

I have two options. Make a custom two piece flange on my mill and paint it with high heat stuff. Or, i could try and remive the studs.

Option 2 scares the shite out of me. If had bolts snap off on sruff before and its not fun. Snapping one off in an aluminum head on my bike feela like a bad situtation. Ive even read where a fellow cracked his head doing it. Not a fix i want to deal with.

Anyone have the good, the bad and the ugly on this? I used wd40 to get exhaust off other bike and one of the stud did spin instead of the nut.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

got em out. And with ease. Im guessing the wd40 i used to get the nuts off a week ago to remove exhaust krept in and did a great job of loosening it up. I hit it with fresh wd40, a couple taps on the studs with a small hammer and they came out with very little force. yay!

Old 04-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

Glad they came out for you, mine came out with no problem at all.
My 2 piece OEM flanges fit nicely around the V&H head pipes.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 04-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
Advanced Member

put lots of penetrating oil on them, let it soak in overnite then put more on it then spray lots of wd40 on it with more penetrating oil, you get the idea