Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Air intakes

I have searched but can not find what are the distances that these two air intakes on my vequero will stick out from the engine more.I am concerned my leg will rub.
Chucksters
Tricked toys
If even possible I would like to keep close to stock looking and still have way more intake surface.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

I had Chuckster's kit on a 1600 Nomad and if I remember it was only about 3/4 inch farther out. He makes quality stuff.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 04-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Top Contributor

You can buy a kit from Chuckster that uses the stock outer cover from the Vaquero/ Voyager. It uses a K&N filter under the stock intake cover and the motor gets all the air it needs.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
You can buy a kit from Chuckster that uses the stock outer cover from the Vaquero/ Voyager. It uses a K&N filter under the stock intake cover and the motor gets all the air it needs.
That' s just the ticket I'm looking for....thank you very much for your time.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Just be aware that the intake noise is increased. Some like that, some don't.
I got used to it on my Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2019, 03:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Just be aware that the intake noise is increased. Some like that, some don't.
I got used to it on my Voyager
And I didn't either like it or get used to it... So another forum member benefited from being able to purchase a very slightly used, very well made, Chuckster's intake. I've gone back to a K&N replacement for the OEM filter, and we're both happy.

It certainly doesn't stop me from highly recommending Joe "Chuckster" Norris' work either.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Do the 1700 have the same set up as the 1600 with the solenoids making all that racket? If so its an easy fix just run two hoses from the solenoids back to the left side cover or remove the solenoids all together. If not the same set up then...do something else. Boom, mic drop! :-)

Old 04-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Top Contributor

The 1700's don't have the solenoids.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
And I didn't either like it or get used to it... So another forum member benefited from being able to purchase a very slightly used, very well made, Chuckster's intake. I've gone back to a K&N replacement for the OEM filter, and we're both happy.

It certainly doesn't stop me from highly recommending Joe "Chuckster" Norris' work either.
What Peg said. +1.
Didn't get used to the extra noises either. Do applaud Joe "Chuckster" Norris for his quality and customer service!

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
Advanced Member

I now have a Chuckster's tear drop intake. I had a Roaring Toyz unit on my Vaquero but it did stick out too far and my right leg would rub up against it. The Chuckster unit comes in much closer only about 3.1 inches from the intake manifold and the right leg can now come in much closer and the tear drop unit has a nice flat outer cover. It performs very well too and is easy and quick to service the K&N air filter unit. It mounts easy and comes with a tube to connect your crankcase breather to the back bottom of the Chuckster intake. You run it under the throttle body and custom cut the tube to the right length. It also comes with a screw to mount the temp sensor in the back. Quality built unit and at a lower price than the competitors (well under $300.00) and now that Thunder mfg. is no longer, this is the only tear drop intake for Vulcan 1700 bikes available. Highly recommended.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.