Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

The days are over for me

I been riding a bike since I was 14 years old a 90 Sport Honda back then and then a 250 Susuki Hussler fast for it's day. I then went up to a 350 Honda not sure what model it was and then the big one for its day CB 750 4 and it did seem fast and big was quite the learning curve. Then for many a year I rode a 1982 Honda Goldwing that won a award of Canada's most beautiful Goldwing at a Wing Rally in 1984. My motto with the wing and my vulcan is and always been it only takes money. I love that bike it was the best bike I ever owned I rode it till 2009 when I acquired my Kawasaki 1700 Vulcan Nomad. I only stopped riding it because well at 560 thousand kms it was time and it was starting to show it's age.

The Nomad I always found as a heavy bike and I mean top heavy was not a pleasure to ride in parking lots and at low speeds but on the highway throw the wind gusts at me I will not feel them at all. In 2017 I went down on this bike in Valemont B.C. at 110 kms towing my Leasure Lite Tent Trailer. I believe a pipe had fallen off a truck bed laid on road and I hit it as it blended into the pavement. I flipped over once did a roll I remember and did a roll then road down the highway on my bum the rest of the way. For what happened I came out of it pretty good with road rash on my lower legs both of them and no rash on the bum but had aweful pain for about three months I could not walk was wheelchair bound for that time. I also had a broken right wrist that was operated on and got pins and bolts put in it. I had little care from the medical system here I had to fight to get looked at and fight to find out what was all wrong with me seems they could not understand it hurts to go down at 110 kms and that things would be wrong. I healed up to be ok.

Over the winter of 2017/2018 I repaired the bike and spent way over what I could have bought a new bike for. I had an awesome paint job applied with hand graphics applied to the bike and bought all new parts that were damaged in accident along with some awesome after market bags out of China and naming the bike the Jouney on the bags. It turned out beautiful and I rode it lots in 2018 around the country here still healing from the accident a bit. I also had to get past the fear of having the accident. Allot of riders and friends wondered how I could ride a bike after an accident like I had. I loved riding to much to give it up I worked past my fear I guess.

Now in 2018 in June I went to my doctor had not seen him in years as I never got sick why go to a doctor. He did a full work up on me as I had not had one done in 10 years. Two weeks later I go back to him and he told me the bad news I had Sugar Diabetes Type 2. I could not believe it I felt ok I did not see any change in my body but wow it came on fast. Things rapidly changed in my body like complete hair loss on my legs and other things. Then my feet changed and this happens to some people who have Diabetes the toes change position and your arch drops and other things with in the foot making it hard to walk comfortably and so off to a Diabetic Shoe Store to get fitted with proper shoes for my feet it helps some what but not totally I cannot walk as far as before.

Then the big thing happened I got Meralgia Paresthetica which happens in about 3% roughly of diabetics. It is a form of a nerve damage in a leg that causes constant never ending pain in the leg unless you take a wonder drug called Gabapentin for the rest of your life. It does take away about 90% of the pain just in lower body but does not cure it completely.

So the other side effects I have had is I have lost my balance and have actually had to learn to walk with allot of discomfort over again. I fighting this but it is a tough battle for me.

So spring came here in Alberta and well as usual I want to ride. I get the bike out of storage trailer and I find on my first ride my balance is affecting my riding ability I do not have the same balance as I did before. I also find my feet with the problems in them and my legs with the disease I have caused by Diabetes is also giving me problems.

With 50 years of riding I am now 64 years old I have to make a decision in life I thought I would not have to make for maybe another 10 years. My days are done riding they are over. I had to consider and this was my main thought in making the decision to stop the one thing I truly loved in life was the person in the other car or truck or what ever else was on the road. If I ever lost my balance and had another accident maybe I would die that is ok but I did not want them to live a life of seeing what they had to see at the end of it all.

I am sad to say goodbye to the bike I will have no problem selling it as I had friends come out of the wood work wanting to buy the bike and trailer at a price I am comfortable with that is not a problem. I will miss the people over the years I have met, the long rides to far off places and the wonders I have seen riding a bike. I will miss working on my bike I did it all never took it into a shop other than tires. I will miss this forum as I will loose interest in time. I will miss you all that gave me some hints on some repairs or where to go for a special item. Dam I just going to miss biking. 50 years maybe I am lucky to have gotten that far and that many years behind me but I have to consider others not myself it is time.

If I do not write another comment this might be my last on this forum I wish you all well and many more days to you all on the open road. I wish I could have done it longer there were many more trips planned for the future but I guess it is what it is.

Good bye Mates keep the rubber on the road.

Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by buckey1313; 05-26-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #2

Why not try a trike, the balance would not be a problem and you would not habe to hold it up at stops.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #3

Wow that is sad to hear about your situation and that you have, by no choice it seems to quit riding. I am new to this forum and was really hoping to meet up with you one day to go for a ride together seeing that we are from the same area (geographically). It is very unfortunate you have to give up one of your passions in life due to an ailment. I wish you the very best for your future health. I can relate in a round about way I suffer from tinnitus but, still I am passionate for high end
audio gear (vinyl based) but, for how much longer is anybodys guess.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #4

This is so sad to hear. I hope you find another hobby that you can put all your passion into and be happy with for many years.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

A trike I have rode for many a mile that a friend had when we went on long trips. Maybe this will answer the question it is s trike is what it is called it is not a bike. I enjoyed the two wheeled experience I never enjoyed riding his trike. It is just not for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
A trike I have rode for many a mile that a friend had when we went on long trips. Maybe this will answer the question it is s trike is what it is called it is not a bike. I enjoyed the two wheeled experience I never enjoyed riding his trike. It is just not for me.

I was just throwing it out there, trying to keep you in the wind
I know if I can no longer hold up my bike a trike or Can Am would be in my future. To each their own
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Next year I will have been riding motorcycles for 50 years. My goal is to ride until I am 70 which is 3 years from now. Every year it gets more painful to sit for any length of time due to leg/sciatic issues. I cannot imagine not having a motorcycle but I know that day is not too far away.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #8

Sorry to hear this Dave, after having shared much with you over the years.

All going well Cec and I will pass through Alberta again on the Voyager in your summer next year, spending a couple of days in Banff. I'm gonna PM you those dates the moment they're confirmed, and I'll be a bit pissed at you if you can't make it the last 500km's to meet up after we've done the hard 12,124km's to get that far... OK?

We'll do dinner.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about the health issues and having to stop riding. Just have to say that is one sweet looking bike. You did a nice job. Take care.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

Sorry to hear of all your issue's Dave ! Even if you do not ride again still pop in and bug these people like I do lol. My Nomad is gone but the memories from the ride and people I met here will be forever !

Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #11

Sorry to learn all of that Dave. Hope that you find pain-free comfort and your balance soon.
If in your shoes, the Can-Am Spyder would get a look. Comfortable, quick, fun and stable. The lean is backwards, I like to think of it as riding a snowmobile with wheels.

Safe travels Buckey1313
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 05-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #12

I want to thank you all for the great words so far and it warms my heart to know you guys care. Like I said to Top Cat I have had the three wheeled experience and rode for many a mile on a friends of mine. It is not the same it is a trike not a bike. I only enjoyed the two wheels up experience the trike was never meant for me.

I am trying hard to get some what better I will never run again fell flat on my face trying to do that broke my glasses and my face was a mess. The legs just do not do what I want them to do anymore and sometime they do not even feel like they are mine if you can understand that statement. It is a rough road still trying also to look after my 95 year old dad also and he is not getting any better at his age. He is like me lol all you do is complain about your aches and pains it is our new language together in a funny way.

I going to fight this to the bitter end I will never I realize this be what I was a year ago or even two years ago. But I will get better I hope that I can hike again walk not like a man of 85 years old and also in some way control my pain problems and others that I am comfortable.

Again god you guys are good thanks ever so much for the words the wishes and the hopes it all means allot right now.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #13

Damn.... Dave, So sorry to hear that 2 wheels are over. A tough and wise decision I think. I'm Sure you thought of the kits for your bike, The bolt on ones? No Sham in a trike. Yet there are other toys and passions that await you, That... I am sure of. I was thinking of the new Can-am Ryker maybe some day. Under 10 grand USD and still wind in my face. Have you looked at them?

Gabapentin is as close to a miracle as it gets so I am told. Good Luck on your future hobbies. Post some news when you find a new passion.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Hey Dave. Sorry to hear about the health problems. I know how passionate you are about riding and know it must be a tough pill to swallow. We'll all have to face that decision sooner or later. Hope you can make the pain manageable. I'll get up there and have a coffee or beer with you soon.

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 05-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #15

Sad to hear.....I have been dealing with Type 2 diabetes for about 13 years and the foot/leg pain and balance are a concern for me also. I went with a lighter bike about 3 years ago. I think I've got this year and then I will sell the bike and get another Miata. I still want a bike to putt around town with though....we'll see. Good luck and keep up the fight.