Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #1

Thoughts on recent observations

Recently I've noticed that for the most part BMW and Goldwing riders almost always dress alike: wear full face helmets, wear mostly textile instead of leather and also wear very visible colors like bright neon green or orange clothing. V-twin riders also dress alike and seem to prefer black leather ( or no protective clothing) and more often go lidless. although there are exceptions to the rule you often don't see these two extremes cross represented.

V-twin riders may often get stereotyped as having an image to maintain but it got me really thinking......Are there that many safety conscious BMW and Goldwing riders, or are they also trying to maintain an image, one of being more educated or elite?

For me personally, comfort dicates what I wear. I get too much buffeting when I wear a full face helmet so I save it for if its really cold or if its raining to keep the rain out of my face. The leathers also come off if its too hot. On my last trip to Colorado the helmet issue really stood out to me. I brought 2 helmets, a full face and my 1/2. I normally wear my half helmet so I'm more accustomed to it, However, in the rain, I fell in love with the full face, I had a smile the whole time and couldn't believe the difference it made. On the other hand, after the rained stopped and I was doing 75-80 I couldn't stand the full face vibrating my head, making my vision blurry, and feeling like it was suffocating me even if I cracked the face shield. Ideal comfort is no helmet, but I rarely go lidless just because its upping the risk level a little too much for me. If I had to wear a full face helmet all the time though, I probably wouldn't ride at all just because the stuffyness is honestly just too much for me and really takes the joy out of the ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #2

I probably wouldn't ride at all just because the stuffyness is honestly just too much for me and really takes the joy out of the ride.

I can't believe you said that You would give up riding if you had to wear a fullface helmet ??? I'm not buying it.

I wear a full helmet ALL the time. I find if I crack the shield two or more clicks I get air on my face. I get buffeting no matter what helmet I wear. I don't think the buffeting is the fault of the helmet I think it is the windshield height and the smalleer lowers I prefer.
This is just my opinion you understand. Your results may be different ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

All I know is that with my full face helmet I get blurry vision around 75 but with my 1/2 helmet my vision is fine. Larger lowers would help I'm sure, but that doesn't help the clausterphobia :)

Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I just cannot wear a full-face helmet in the summer; not even a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield. I wear a shorty helmet without the ear flaps and tinted or clear safety glasses. Keep in mind that I live in Vermont and 90+ F weather is not the norm. If I did not have a windshield it might be a different story. When it gets cold (40 F and less) I wear the zip in ear flaps. If it gets colder than 30 F I wear my 3/4 w/full shield, but it fogs up too easily. I may consider a modular helmet, but would probably end up not flipping it down.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to namvet

I only use a helmet when it is required by that state and will go out of my way to avoid a state that has helmet laws. I do carry a half helmet with me, just in case. The leathers are used only when the temp drops. When it rains I might stop and put on a rain proof jacket, but most of the time I just do without, I needed a bath anyway. What I will do, if I know I will be riding in rain...I will put my feet with socks on into a small plastic bag, so my feet are dry...the boots get soaked, but they will dry out...sometime later. Then unless it is a downpour, I just keep riding. This last weekend I came back from Bradley, Il to Ft. Wayne, In, about 180 miles and it rained all the way.....just saw two other bikes that day,,,it was fun..lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #6

Well I'm using half helmet but I went with tourmaster intake series 2 textile jacket. Leather is just to hot in Florida. The textile jacket is not as hot as I thought it would be. Just zip it up a couple of inches just to keep the jacket in place should I fall off.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

I won't wear a full-face helmet. Don't like them one bit. I wear a half helmet and when it gets cold, I wear a 3/4, for the full visor. I never used to wear a helmet at all, so the half helmet is simply an acknowledgment of middle-aged wisdom.

Good observation, Wolfie. I've wondered the same thing - BMW and GW riders with the cargo pants tucked into the boots, wearing a beret when the full face helmet comes off, the Kilamanjaro jacket and the neck scarves. They all try to look like Clement Salvatore or Ernest Hemingway. I personally don't think it's any different than the cruiser guy with the leathers. They probably think we look like Marlon Brando. There's exceptions, as with anything...it's just 2 subcultures within riding. Then there's the sportbikers....
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to scion0

I am used to full face helmets but in Illinois they are not required so I do mind myself without (against my better judgement) it much of the time. Part of my (our) problem is that I (we) do not have any way to carry one helmet other than on our heads, let alone different types. Is there a way to ride with helmets attached to the bike somewhere (no trunk -- I do have a luggage rack on the way so that may help).

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Wife and I both wear Full face (Shark), textile jackets, boots and some gloves. I've seen the results of 1/2 helmets and no protection other than clothing in a spill. If it is that hot, I just might not ride, but if I am riding, I'm covered up. I do skip my chaps in the heat.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghost
Wife and I both wear Full face (Shark), textile jackets, boots and some gloves. I've seen the results of 1/2 helmets and no protection other than clothing in a spill. If it is that hot, I just might not ride, but if I am riding, I'm covered up. I do skip my chaps in the heat.
Thank You gghost, I was begining to think I was a scardy cat instead of a topcat

PS, if there are any spelling errors in this post it is 'cause the spell checker is not workin'
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #11

I personally have switched to a full face helmet in the last couple weeks. I thought I'd feel claustrophobic too, but I feel fine. The only difference I see is that I have to swivel my head a little more with full face to check blind spots. I really enjoy not having to fight the rain with it on and after seeing some of the nicks on my old helmet and getting sand in my face from trucks kicking it up, I don't think I'll be wearing the 1/2 much any more.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to scion0

I'd like to find a place where those cool jackets are affordable.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
Top Contributor

I wear a Nolan 102 modular helmet. I always close it when riding. Now when it's hot I open the face shield all the way. So far the windshield has kept most of the bugs out of my face. When it gets cold I will close the shield most of the way. I usually leave it cracked open a bit. As far as my riding gear, I wear an Aerostich one piece riding suit. I bought it primarily for the protection it affords. The only time I don't wear it is when it's too dang hot here in Georgia. I need to find something else to wear when it's that hot. I don't really like riding in just my shirt sleeves and jeans but I do it some in the heat. Both my helmet and Aerostich are bright yellow. (See my sig pic.) I'm not trying to be a BMW or Goldwing guy or any other kind of guy. I picked those colors specifically because I want the best chance I have of other drivers seeing me and hopefully not killing me. I don't care about whether or not it's "fashionable."

I make no claims that my viewpoint is any better than anyone else's. It's simply what I feel is best for me. Likewise, I have no problems with what other folks wear or don't wear. Everyone needs to do what they feel is best for themselves. That way we can all be happy. After all, isn't that what it should be about anyway? Making yourself happy? Just enjoy it.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #14

Helmets are a matter of choice. Lot's of pro's and con's. When I first started riding and bought my first bike, there was a sign over the helmets that read "If you think your head is worth $10.00, buy a $10.00 helmet." That always stuck in my mind.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Getting back to the original subject, I tend to agree with you WM. Most of those riding GWs and all of those riding BMWs that I've seen ride in full gear with bright colors. Not to mention that many of their bikes are bight colors like yellow and have an abundance of lights.

Maybe it's part of the training they provide when they buy those bikes?
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD