Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #1

First Sturgis victims

I have sad news. Today is the first official day of the Rally and my local news has already reported two fatalities.

Here is a link to the story.
http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,72558
Please everyone be careful. There are many blind curves and hills in that area.

And of course someone posted a comment trying to reprimand cage drivers. I understand their anger but many of us know that drivers will never pay attention enough to stop killing riders.

Here is a link to my response:
http://forums.keloland.com/showthrea...118#post141118

Again, everyone please be safe out there. And if you get the opportunity to slap someone, amke it a good one for all of us.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #2

First Sturgis victims

OP- Yes, it seems like every year I read about cyclists that are killed during the Sturgis rally. I talked to a group of riders at a gas station yesterday that were headed to Sturgis. The last thing I told them was to keep their eyes wide open and don't blink.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

First Sturgis victims

I loved this comment:

Quote:
"A question for motorcycle riders. If you know that being on a motorcyle is so dangerous. why the heck did you buy it or ride one? sorry but i always wanted to know the answer to that question. I don't understand if a person knows the risk why they proceed to get one and ride it."
I guess since we made the decision to buy a dangerous motorcycle, we should just STFU and accept our fate at the hands of stupid, distracted, text-messaging, makeup-applying, Big Mac-eating, diaper-changing, Starbucks-swilling cagers?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Advanced Member

First Sturgis victims

Could we become a happy forum again, IMHO, after everything, enough about death. We all know the risks we take!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

First Sturgis victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddman11
Could we become a happy forum again, IMHO, after everything, enough about death. We all know the risks we take!
I'm with you, man!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #6

First Sturgis victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I loved this comment:

Quote:
"A question for motorcycle riders. If you know that being on a motorcyle is so dangerous. why the heck did you buy it or ride one? sorry but i always wanted to know the answer to that question. I don't understand if a person knows the risk why they proceed to get one and ride it."
I guess since we made the decision to buy a dangerous motorcycle, we should just STFU and accept our fate at the hands of stupid, distracted, text-messaging, makeup-applying, Big Mac-eating, diaper-changing, Starbucks-swilling cagers?
I think I would have told her this:

Last year 40,000 Americans died driving cars and trucks. 40,000! If you laid their dead bodies end to end, it would make a line almost 40 miles long. Imagine driving your car 40 miles down the road and seeing a continuous line of dead people, and that's just in one year!

If you know that being in a car is so dangerous, why the heck would you buy it or ride in one?

Worse than that, almost 5000 pedestrians a year are killed by cars and trucks. That's about the same number that die on motorcycles. Maybe it's the cars and trucks that are actually the problem?

OK, I understand that the comaparisons aren't strictly valid, but perhaps it'd work better than just telling her to STFU.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #7

First Sturgis victims

It is an interesting human phenomenon that people minimize their own danger (getting hurt while driving a car), and amplify other peoples danger (other's getting hurt riding a bike).

Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #8

First Sturgis victims

You mean the danger they pose, or the danger they risk?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #9

First Sturgis victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Modified it for clarity.

I do the same thing, (most of us do). When I go 100mph it always seems more reasonable than when I see other bikes do it.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #10

First Sturgis victims

Thanks, and you're right. I think I'm safer riding a big cruiser, even though a sportbike will dodge & stop much faster. My budddy Louie (who rides a ZX10r) thinks I'm on a deathtrap.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #11

First Sturgis victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Modified it for clarity.

I do the same thing, (most of us do). When I go 100mph it always seems more reasonable than when I see other bikes do it.

I fall into that trap in regards to many things... the old "Do as I say and not as I do" routine...

My little boy opened a bottle of vodka in the fridge and took a big swig.... made him cry.. burned his throat. I told him "never open a bottle and drink it without asking mommy or daddy.. that was Vodka and it's not good for you!"

He answered "If it not good for you, why do you drink it?"

From the mouth of babes.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

First Sturgis victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodc
Quote:

Modified it for clarity.

I fall into that trap in regards to many things... the old "Do as I say and not as I do" routine...

My little boy opened a bottle of vodka in the fridge and took a big swig.... made him cry.. burned his throat. I told him "never open a bottle and drink it without asking mommy or daddy.. that was Vodka and it's not good for you!"

From the mouth of babes.

Pay attention, son. If I told you once, I told you a thousand times, always drink vodka with orange juice!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #13

First Sturgis victims

I understand your son's point when they sell good Tennessee sipping whiskey every where why would you want to drink vodka

Old 08-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #14

First Sturgis victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodc
Quote:

Modified it for clarity.

From the mouth of babes.
Nico, please repeat after me:
"Vodka is medicine. For old people. Like me. Nobody under 30 years old should ever be drinking it."

Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #15

First Sturgis victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I loved this comment:

Quote:
A young man drowned in a small private swimming hole near my home four days ago. Now everyone around the water cooler at work is telling me about how they know somebody or who knows somebody that drowned doing this or that.

Just why is that people do things they know are so risky like that?

And when I hear of some one buying it in a small plane wreck, I sometimes tell them about the close friends I lost doing that...

And of course, cars, boats, trains, skies, guns, inner tubes, ferris wheels, roller skates, are another examples... hell, I had an uncle killed watering his lawn by a errant car from a near by street.

Just why is we do risking things like that?

It's called like living. And I choose to live, and all that comes with it.