Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #1

Bringing up subjects that have already been done

If you were at a motorcycle hang out and got talking with a group of people about bikes, they don't say, "hey we already talked about this a couple of months ago." They just continue the conversation.

This board in general is different than most that I've participated on, in that anything discussed in prior months is off limits; no matter how many new members join.

I propose that we do it like it is done in real life. At work if 20 new guys start working and bring up a subject at lunch that has already been discussed a few months ago, people don't say, "hey, we already talked about this a few months ago." They just talk.

Boards change depending on what new members show up, and what old ones drop off. Lets just chat with each other, even if it's been done before.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #2

I like that idea too. But I think I would search first, just in case. I don't know if the search engine works that well or not. I would think that it is a good one.

Sometimes the conversation goes off on a tangent anyway, so I don't think it would make any difference if the subject had been discussed before.
BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #3

I've searched for threads that I started and have not been able to find it.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Yeah, I've not had a lot of luck searching for earlier subject either. I suppose maybe I just am not searching correctly.

However, I have noticed that sometimes when someone asks a question thats been discussed before that some of the more astute members will post links to some of the previous threads. I think this is great. But the best part is that no one gets in a snit and says 'Hey, dummy! Do a search, we've already talked about that!"

I think KawaNOW is unique this way and I hope it doesn't change. A bunch of friends talking and no one trying to impress anyone.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 12-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
If you were at a motorcycle hang out and got talking with a group of people about bikes, they don't say, "hey we already talked about this a couple of months ago." They just continue the conversation.

This board in general is different than most that I've participated on, in that anything discussed in prior months is off limits; no matter how many new members join.

I propose that we do it like it is done in real life. At work if 20 new guys start working and bring up a subject at lunch that has already been discussed a few months ago, people don't say, "hey, we already talked about this a few months ago." They just talk.

Boards change depending on what new members show up, and what old ones drop off. Lets just chat with each other, even if it's been done before.
Great idea, Dan....but we already talked about that a few months ago. ;)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #6

I think I was sick that day.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #7

My opinion , yes I know the saying
I like the way wolfman searches and brings those older posts back for us to read. It gives the newer members a heads up on some things that may not get brought up in the new post.
Personally I don't know how he finds them so fast. I have tried the search feature on this board and think it sucks. If a bunch of guys were sitting around talking I think things they learned in previous conversations would be brought to the attention of the others in the group.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #8

Old 12-19-2007, 12:39 AM   #9

I dont see anything wrong with starting a new thread on something that has been talked about before. In fact I would encourage it.With all the new members that have been joining lately its very possible that they may have valuable input on any given subject that was not touched upon in a previous thread. If we keep looking into past threads only, eventually this forum will get old and stale. I dont think any of us want that to happen, fresh knowledge and input will keep this a fun, informative place that will keep growing as new members share there thoughts and ideas. With KawaNow members living all over the world we will have a braintrust of products and technical resources available that will keep our bikes and biking enthusiasm running strong far into the future.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #10

THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE!

Just kidding ........ I really thought this board was the best I've seen at not putting people down for bringing up old topics.... I've gone on other boards and got "Use the Search Newb"...

I say we can talk about whatever we want to... reagrdless!

So....... what kind of oil do you use??

I feel this thread should be moved to Blowndude's Gayrage.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
VBA Founder

Contrary to popular belief, we do try to make everyone feel at home here. And we try not to get upset when a question is asked that has already been discussed.

We've all been there, so we know how it feels. All I ask is that everyone read the Forum FAQ so they'll know what they're getting into. In the FAQ, it explains that we don't mind bringing up the same subject over and over because we know that there can be a different angle or twist each time. We just ask that you try and search past discussions in case your question can be answered there. If not, ask away.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #12
Top Contributor

Quote:

Well, I guess I was not a Charter member...but pretty close within a month of when this board was created...and I have always found that a subject is welcomed over and over...yeah, I and a few others might find the old thread and refer back to it...but I guess I have never really seen anyone blasted for bringing something up for the 5th time.\

So good idea Dan, but I think we already covered that newbie! (humor, joke, little funny thar!)

By the way, when should I change to synthetic???? ;)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #13

I am a relatively new member and I have found the search engine works great. I think the key, and one that other new members may not realize, is to reset the search default of 7 days to a larger value to cover a greater period of time. I usually put in something like 240 days that goes back before the forum was created. That way I am sure of picking up any threads back to Day One on whatever subject I am looking for.

Suggestion: Maybe the search default of 7 days should be increased to a greater value.
Patriot Guard
Kawanow #263 (November 2007)
262 Prior Posts

Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #14

AWWW I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #15

Quote:
AWWW I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside!
Did you swallow a caterpillar ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]