Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to txtimberwolf
Nomad vs. HD

I was invited to ride with the local RC yesterday my better half's aunt and uncle ride with them all the time, so i figured what th heck.
We roll up and right away i knew that i was in for some dirty looks and off comments.
My Nomad was the only metric bike in the group. Sure enough as soon as i rolled up the looks started and i heard thats not a Harley.
One guy said that he didnt think i was going to be able to keep up.
You know the deal with the HD nuts. Well when we roll out for our 200 mile round trip we made it almost 6 miles before we had to pull over due to a flat tire. One HD down, We went about 30 more miles and had another bike break down. this happened almost all the way to our turn around location. All in all out of the 40 bikes that left only about 17 made it back without any problems, and since i was one of the more seasoned riders in the remaining group I got to pull tail gunner. Lets just say i was thinking all the way home hmmm cant keep up huh if they would let me lead this group i would be th only one back to th CH with out having to fuel up or trailer my bike :). I had to keep backing off the gas to keep my 2 second position. the Nad just wanted to go lol.
When we got back i had some of the guys say that they really didnt think i was gonna make it the whole way. one of the lady riders wanted to know if she could take it for a spin because she wanted to get one lol I really love showing up the HD when i get a chance and this bike is truly the best investment i have ever made and will more than likely not own another if its not a Nomad .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Nomad vs. HD

sweeeeeeeeeeet
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #3

Nomad vs. HD

Sounds like to made a believer out of a view HD riders. GREAT!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #4

Nomad vs. HD

Is it Nomad vs. HD or rational thinking vs. narrow minded thinking?
This is one reason I never ride with the groups even when they have "open" rides.
I'm sure there were those in the group that didn't mind your choice of machine and enjoyed the ride even with a rice burner along.
There will always be some that are blinded by the bar and shield. I really believe it's not what you are riding that upsets some HD riders. But peer pressure to act like a jerk and the desire to be a "Bad Ass Biker Dude" just like you see on TV.
Too bad so sad they just don't get it. I'm sure they use American made cell phones, computers and televisions. If you enjoy your ride that's all that matters.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Nomad vs. HD

Once again folks,..... Harley Davidson is just a state of mind.

Sorry GL ;)

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #6

Nomad vs. HD

Must have been a bunch of ragged out Harley's on that ride...........I ride with a group, Southern Cruisers, most of them have Harleys but don't act that way..........a good group of guys and their bikes seem to run pretty good..........

Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #7

Nomad vs. HD

I think the bike tends to be more dependable if it gets out of the garage more than 3 weekends a year for show off purposes. But I may be wrong about that.
Thanks for your time.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Nomad vs. HD

There is probably no greater authority on this very topic than my good friend and fellow KawaNOW member Greg Wilson..... lol

Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Nomad vs. HD

I ride with the Southern Cruisers down here, too, and they are all nice people and maybe half ride Harleys. It's those "Others" who make the whole bunch look bad. And I also have had to stop more than a few times because of Harley problems, especially in the Summer heat. But I really don't have a problem with the bike, just it's owners sometimes.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Nomad vs. HD

I have never heard any mean-spirited comments directed at either myself or my Nomad. My buddies who ride HD will joke with me, but I give it right back to them. "do you really have to drag a magnet behind your Harley to catch the parts as they fall off?" - that sort of thing. When I do perceive attitude from HD riders I don't know, I just let the Nomad do the talking. It usually shuts them up.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #11

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Nomad vs. HD

I've never received a rude comment from a HD owner either CJ. Mostly good hearted humor and jabs if anything. Believe it or not a few flattering compliments that left me dumb founded! Maybe I run into mostly the good ones that know it's the wind in our face and the joy of the ride! Mostly back and forth to work in my case. :)

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #12

Nomad vs. HD

perfect example of why I steer clear of group ridding most times. at least all you had were comments. I was in a bar in the wrong part of DesMoines once upon a time and had a knife pulled on me by a Los Labos member because I parked my "jap crap" next to his all mighty HD. sad, but true :(
anyways, I also know many fine HD owners. it's just like any other group, there's always some bad apples

Old 03-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Nomad vs. HD

The Harley riders I have come across in my 37 years of riding have mostly been good guys. They just don't realize what a great bike a Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki is. I have owned four Honda's and The Nomad is my first Kawasaki but it holds its own against any Honda I have owned. They are all great bikes.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #14

Nomad vs. HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I have never heard any mean-spirited comments directed at either myself or my Nomad. My buddies who ride HD will joke with me, but I give it right back to them. "do you really have to drag a magnet behind your Harley to catch the parts as they fall off?" - that sort of thing. When I do perceive attitude from HD riders I don't know, I just let the Nomad do the talking. It usually shuts them up.
+1 This is my experience with Harley riders too.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #15

Nomad vs. HD

I meet a lot of Harley riders, especially when riding over towards Helen.
Almost all are from out of state, or Atlanta. Quite a few ask for directions or suggestions on good roads to ride. I've led many of them on 150-200 mile rides on roads they didn't know existed.

I too get a lot of friendly jabs, especially (being an X-Harley rider) when I have a Harley shirt or jacket on.
Then I have to explain why Harley clothes and no Harley bike.......I just tell them "Harley doesn't necessarily make better bikes, but they do make better clothes."

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider