Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #1

Update Fuel Processor Install

Just a quick follow up for the GMan Bully install on the Nomad. The install was plug and play and fits nicely behind the side cover although I guess some people mount on the bars for changes on the fly. I don't see the need for that myself. I really noticed a difference at low speed parking lot/driveway throttle response. Before It was either lit up or off you had to be very careful with the right hand in tight spots. The throttle roll on in the mid-range pulling is really good. I can lug it down more with out having to drop a gear. Running in 4th it will jump to 80mph right now and still be pulling if you did not change or let off. I have the stage III setting on V&H Dual Baggers and Thunder single intake with K&N filter. Pipes are a lot cooler and my leg feels much better sitting in traffic. The unit is not much bigger than a credit card and about 1/4" thick.

I had been smelling a little antifreeze after setting up over the winter when it got warm. Just a reminder to anyone that is going to install a unit, while the tank is off take the opportunity to snug up the clamps for all of the cooling system. That was my only problem with the smell and you can not reach them with the tank on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Good job QM. Cooler running almost makes it worth it alone!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Sounds like you did a thorough job. You will definitely be happy you installed it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Never heard of that fuel processor? Anybody else?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Top Contributor

I have heard of it. Its made by Gman industries ? The owner advertises on the other Vulcan forum. It has the ability to make changes on the fly as the unit can be mounted to the handlebars

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #6

http://gmanindustries.com/index.php?cPath=38

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 05-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Advanced Member

That would be nice if you had an on board fuel/air monitor you could lean out on the highway at cruise for max mpg I was thinking it would be cool if they made one with a power switch or mode switch like some of the newer sportbikes have a mpg and max power setting with the flip of a switch
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

qmaster234, Do you care to share why you choose the Bully over other FI modules. I've been reading up on these and they all appear to do about the same thing. Other than the push button over screw pots and the ability to adjust on the fly [which I do not need] the Bully looks about the same as the Cobra or Tecklusion.

My biggest concern is how altitude affects the fuel injection process. As the Nomad does not have an Ox sensor I'm not sure any of the system can adjust for this. I routinely ride from sea level to 4000', live at 1200' and occasionally go up to 10,000' all in one day.

Other members have reported that living and riding at higher altitudes does not require a fuel processor as the mix is richer at altitude. As I said above my problem is I experience an altitude change rapidly so setting the bike up for "normal" riding is not so easy. Maybe the ability to adjust on the fly would help with this but I do not want to keep messing with the settings. I'm not at one altitude long enough to worry about it other than I do not want any damage causing ping from being to lean. But of course I want all the power I can get.

My bike is stock other than it's been debaffled. I do plan to change the air intake but have no plans to go with an aftermarket exhaust. Now it seams to handle all loads and altitude just fine, no pinging at any load or altitude. Maybe a little at sea level if I'm loaded down and lug the engine. The only reason I want to add the fuel processor is for the air intake change and for better driveability as I do experience all the classic symptoms of the Nomad.

Thanks for your time,
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Hi, If your bike does not ping and handles all the altitudes just fine why go with a fuel processor ? You say your Nomad has all the "classic" Nomad symptoms. I presume you mean all the other classic Nomad symptoms apart from pinging, ie running hot, stumbling ? Either way your bike will probably benefit from a TFI.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #10

My pinging has gotten worse in warm weather at around 5300ft, even with premium. Does fine a little higher but I've ordered a p&p TFI since hot weather is coming and I do spend a lot of time at the lower elevations around 5000ft.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #11

I will go to the TFI to allow for cooler running and a lower grade fuel. Both are important to me particulary in places like Montana and Wyoming where 91 Octane seems harder to find and it does get hot.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #12

I found out about the Bully on this forum, I posted a question about a V&H Fuelpak and someone mentioned the bully to me. I started researching after that. The owner "GMan" is big into the C109 crowd and I have read quite a bit on there forum. I called Cobra, not helpful, I called V&H, not helpful. I then called GMan Industries and was given directly to tech support. Tech support "Gary" talked with me about 15 minutes on the phone and was very helpful and knowledgeable about my bike and there product. They had actual dyno charts with our bikes showing the improvement. So I was sold on there unit, by Gary who I found out is GMan himself and the owner of the company. I told him I would tell people on our forum about my experience with the unit and he gave me free shipping, priority from WA to NC in 2 days.

I rode a 360 mile run yesterday from 600 ft up to I would say 3000 ft and the unit pulls really good. About half way back I pulled the side cover off and bumped the mid range setting up one adjustment. I really made a difference on the throttle roll on again. I think I may try bumping the low fuel setting just a little also, as I did notice some heat in traffic from stop light hopping. Mind you the heat is nothing like it was but hey I have it and I might as well try tweaking to my riding style.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #13

Fix'in to make a TFI change to a stock 01 Nomad with 18K on it. Just completed a ride to PC Fla. last weekend with a total of around 800 miles. Was amazed at the MPG going and coming. Got 53+ going and 51+ on return to Ga. Started noticing a problem in Dothan Ala., which seemed to be described as if you were riding and lost an injector or a misfire. Would feel like in auto terms, as if you had a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder and you pulled one of the spark wires off the plug while running, throttle up and down coasting. Trouble was not supported under any specific condition,,, hot, cold, morning, afternoon etc. Pulled the plugs, porcelain lean white, on all four, not glazed, just not that light tan I like to see. Checked plug caps, all 5k+, but changed to extra plugs, and extra caps just to be sure. Changed from 89 octane to a 93 non ethanol with a mix of about 60/40 mix plus a little octane boost to clear out any possible water. Noticed a much stronger pull, but problem was still noticeable but very very diminished. At one point after the mix settled in, the bike ran the strongest I have ever felt it and lasted around 20 minutes. Has not showed up since returning home, with two rides, but not exposed to long trip heat, just short rides. Will be checking the connections under the tank with the coils and injector plugs when I go for the TFI. Plan on debaffling as well and intake later; now has KN in the bowl. Also plan on using dielectric grease on plug ins and injectors to prevent electrolytic corrosion on plug ins. Major cause of contact failure is corrosion from condensation due to thermal change, especially inside plastic plugs. Anyone got any ideas, would like to hear from ya.