Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Charging problems

I would like everyone's professional opinion of what might be going on (or lack there of).
I have a 2004 1500 Nomad. Bought new in June 2004. In 2005 I added Kurykan billet lights (driving lights) 20 watt each, in 2008 I replaced the 20 watt bulbs with 35 watt bulbs. In April 2010 I replaced the original battery because it was zeroing out my trip meter when ever I started it, I replaced it with a xtax20ch battery (or something like that). About 6 week ago the wife and I were going to go for a ride on a Saturday, so on friday I went out to my shop to do pre-ride check on the Nomads and mine wouldn't start (had been sitting for about a month). I didn't give it much thought so I pluged the trickle charger to the quick connects that I have in the side pannel for easy access to battery. Saturday morning rolled around we went out to the shop I removed the charger and the Nomad started up without hesitation. We rode about 60 mile and stoped to fuel up. After fueling up my nomad would only click, click. I removed the seat and the + post was corroded bad. I removed the cables and cleaned both by scrapping off and sprayed battery cleaner on them. Then we connected the jumper cables to our batteries (my Nomad and my wife Nomad). After a little charging my nomad started up. I let it sit and fast idle for about 20 minutes. So I shut it down and again click, click. We decided we had better go back home so we jumped it again and went back home. after a 60 mile ride back home it was still dead. Once home I put the battery charger on 2 amp and charged it up. We did not ride for another 2 week, but I went out and started it every day and let it run for about 5 minute. Two week ago we went for a Saturday ride again, after about 70 mile we were going to stop for fuel and guess what, click, click. So we jump started it again and went back home. This time I turned my driving lights off on the way home and once we got home I shut it down and it started right back up several time without hesitation. Where I normally buy my batteries closes at noon on saturday, so After I started it a few more time on Sunday I removed the battery where I could take it to the Battery Parts Warehouse after work. I took to them and they tested it, said it was bad, would not hold a load (whatever that means). I bought another battery just like it (only good, I think). Well It set for another 2 week and today we went for a ride confident it was fixed, we rode about 70 mile stopped for fuel and it started with a little hesitation. We rode another 43 mile and stopped to eat lunch. We come out of the restraunt and click, click, click..... We jump started it again and started back home; again I turned off the driving lights rode the 113 mile back home with one fuel stop and two looking for parts stop at a motor cycle salvage yard and my local Kawi dealer (did not shut bike down during any of these stops) My first thought was a bad stator (at the Kawi dealer they showed me where it has two stators, a inner and a outer--$200 each, which they had neither). A guy from the shop said it might also be one of the regulators. When we got back home the Nomad started without hesitation three different times so far. Well what is everyone's opinion for the reason it will charge if I leave the driving lights off and discharge with them on?
Thank ya'll all so much (in advance).
By the way I did a search on this but couldn't find any thing, so if this has been discussed before, I appreciate discussing it again.
VBA #146

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Jim needs all the help you'll can give him because it'll be a long long ride to Antlers for him on my back seat!
2004 Kawasaki Nomad 1500

Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

It may be one of a few things, first make sure the battery is not defective, just because its not that old doesn't mean much.
Then put a voltmeter on it while the bike is running to see if its charging.
It should read about 14.2 volts or a bit higher if its good.
If its reading below twelve you probably have a rectifier or alternator problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

The battery is only reading 12.7 volt at about 3000 RPM and its not moving. We disconnected the + side battery cable and the bike died instantly, so it may be one of the rectifier's or a stator. We tried removing the + cable on my wife's Nomad and it kept running. Tomorrow I may try switching out rectifiers on our Nomad and see if we can find a bad rectifier. If not a rectifier I guess I'll know its a stator.
Thanks for your reply Steve.
VBA #146

Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #5

It seems that there is a bad rectifier or stator as you said, You will have to remove the LH engine cover to get at the plugs for the rectifiers. Take a look at the connectors to see if one of them is corroded or has burned and melted.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

This may not help, but I believe most bikes don't charge the battery at idle.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #7

Sure is nice Jim to have Annette's bike for parts. I would give her your new battery too. :)

Sounds like your headed in the right direction. Sounds like your battery voltage is what your getting, even with the bike running.

I leave a trickle charger on my bike whenever it is parked in the garage for more than a day or two. I also keep a trickle on my ebikes, tractors, RV, and other motorcycles. I have learned the hard way that batteries need to stay fully charged.

Annette can ride, so you will be fine back there on the pillion this trip.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #8

Jim, If you need parts that your dealer doesn't have in stock, call me with the part number(s) and I'll pick them up at Cycle World if they have them in stock. A dealer that never stocked gaskets or o-rings may have stators in stock. Go figure. I'll bring whatever I pickup to Antlers. Y'all have a safe trip.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #9

I tried both rectifier/regulators from Annette's Nomad and My Nomad still died instantly once I removed the + side battery cable so I guess it's a bad stator. This will be a good winter project for me, the Antlers rally will probably be the last riding we do until next spring anyway.
Thanks for the offer Mitch to pick up parts, but like I said I'll have all fall and winter to do the repairs.
Bill, It sure is nice to have extra parts to check things out. Even though the regulators were good on my Nomad, Annette wouldn't let me Leave her regulators on my Nomad and put mine on hers. She stood right there and made sure I put her parts back on her Nomad.(WOMEN!!!!!)
As for riding pillion.........I know Annette is a great rider, but that is scary sitting back there.
See everyone at Antlers.
VBA #146

Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #10

Jim, Cheryl said she would be just like Annette. I would try to get her to go shopping. Or better yet, it would be more fun to pilfer parts while she is visiting her mother.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #11

Jim, I found this thread on Vulcan forums you might be interesting in reading.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7171