Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Sitting at idle might have caused the heat from the engine to warm the gas tank,
and the expanded gas went down the overfill hose and dripped onto the floor. It
probably has evaporated from the floor as it was warm as well. So the odor it still
lingering? Spray some air freshener.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

By any chance is this a California bike? under the left side cover , left as seated, the cover that uses the keys....... What if anything IS in the velcro strap?

If nothing the bike is not a cali bike. If there IS a black object and it is sort of square that is a carbon canister and there is your smell, from starting the bike, warming the gas warming the gas more and with a full tank, expanding the gas and filling that canister.

If not it is very likely fumes are coming out the whistle vent in the cap, or coming out the over flow drain anyway and just not enough to see.

The only other place to check is the fitting at the fuel pump, it is gray with 2 tabs.. But you would really be aware of that since it will send out a mist that would be hard to miss.

If this start up was for winter storage it's a bad idea. All you do is just get the engine warmed up, to turn it off, which just creates water inside the engine case, which given time gets to the lower points under engine oil and mixes with sulfur in the oil and from blown by gas, which make sulfuric acid, which in turn likes to eat alloy and bearing metals found all over the inside of this type engine....

You can't run the engine long enough at idle in a garage because the engine will over heat in 45 minutes to 1 hour minimum to warm up enough to drive off the water from the last time you shut the engine off when you rode last....

This is one reason of several that a oil change should be with in the past 200 miles for long term winter storage. So contaminates will be easily suspended on the oil, where they should be.

People who start bikes in a garage in winter once every couple weeks are killing the bike with kindness.....

Run A fuel conditioner, run the engine long enough to KNOW that made it into the injectors. Top off the tank to the plate at the filler. Change the oil and filter if you have 1000 miles on the old stuff. Clean the bike well, stuff a oily rag up the mufflers to keep rodents out. Plastic bag over the intake and filter(s) to insure rodents and bugs stay out.

If the area is still and dusty cover the bike if it is clean and there are temp changed do not cover the bike, so it can breath and water will dry...

All the time I see my bike making water when temps change.... I wax the paint and leave it waxed so the water forms on wax.... This year i moved the trailer the bike stays in to a shadier place in hopes temp changes will be slower to make less water.

I don't think you really have any leak, but more that you filled the tank with colder gas which has warmed and expanded taking more volume than you think.
Unless you have that carbon canister.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #18

My 2 cents and It aint worth much check the gas cap seal as stated.. if stuff is on the gasket it wont seal well, You got alot of great advice about this,please post what you find. In 06 The Meanie Version of our Nomad had a gas tank seam issue, It would seap under pressure and Kaw had a recall.. Not sure it happend to the Nomad model ,may have had a different tank,,,,,, As for the gas smell at my house it is TACOs and Beer after math :)

Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #19

gas smell

I'd say if there isn't a pool obvious underneath, then it may be the gas cap gasket leaking fumes from the expanding fuel in your tank coming from cool to warm garage air.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #20

kawasaki is having a hard time finding the small O ring the one they got for me is about 1/2 " across I think the one I need is about 1/4" the one that they got in was the one that Jared gave the part number for on another thread we are trying the seal for the CA model hope that is the correct one

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Check the small clamps on the hoses from the fuel pump to the injectors. I have to tighten them often. They will leak..
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio