Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Problem removing fuel line.

2011, Vulcan Nomad 1700,

Went to take my EFI fuel line off the tank port and I noticed the connector is rotated so the screwdriver slot is facing between the jugs. Not like the manual shows it with the slot facing down on the bottom.

So far I have been unable to get a short enough screwdriver in that area. Wondering if I can just rotate the the pressure connector back so it's more on the bottom ? It doesn't seem to rotate easily.

Anybody else have this ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by R_W_B; 03-12-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Can't tell you anything about rotating it, but you could try a 90 degree screwdriver.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Can't tell you anything about rotating it, but you could try a 90 degree screwdriver.
I've got one of those but it's too big a blade. I guess I'm gonna have to modify the correct size one I have.

I can't help but be curious, is everyones disconnect like this ? Or is mine the only one ? The manual shows it in a more accessable position.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #4

It must be different on the 1700 cause on the 1600 the connection can be undone by pinching it with your fingers.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #5

They must have changed something on the hose for the newer models, doesn't sound familiar to me either.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #6

prop the tank as high as u can get it
Big air kit, amp, Zumo 665, touratech lock, Kaw GPS holder, Avon grips, handle bar extended, Blue lights all over, cobra trunk rack, kaw rear speakers, kicker upgraded speakers commander 2 tires, dyna beads,

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
Top Contributor

The clip on my 2010 Voyager was easy to remove and accessible. Yours sounds like it was assembled wrong at the factory ? Can you go take a look at a new bike at a dealer ?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I haven't looked at the part on any other 1700s, but mine is positioned 90 degrees rotated from the manual depiction. I'm pretty sure I can get it off, just was confused that it was different from the manual.

It also looks like I might could pry on the front side of the orange clip (if I'm carefull), but I will bend a small screw driver and try the correct backside first. I'm guessing (if it's like my old Harley) that it does rotate to any position it's pushed on with, but don't want to force nothin ain't sure of yet.

I gotta take my wife to the eye doctor and this afternoon I will get back to it.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #9

Just thought I'd follow up, I did get it off, I kept fooling (working blind) with the 90 degree screwdriver blade until I got it wiggled into the slot. Once I got that and turned the slot, the orange plastic clip lock popped all the way open. The unlocked fitting was still tight on the tank bib but it did come off with a shove.

Once I got everything off and could examine everything, I realized it was the gas line hose that was holding the disconnect in the position it was in. And the hose is so short on this model that it doesn't twist around much.

It's not a straight hose but form cast and it holds it's position well. Now I know what to expect next time.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #10

Update

You know when I put the tank back on I examined the issue a bit further. I think I have found what I was missing in the manual pic. The pic in the manual has the tank tilted up more (from the rear). I realized this cause the tank has cleared the rubber harness clamp on the right of manual pic. They have their screwdriver showing over top of the head rocker covers so the hose bib is up more than I had it. I only had a 2" block in the back of my tank when I removed the fuel disconnect.

So I got a 2x4 block and turned it sideways under the back tank bracket. This gave a lift of 3.5". That made the tank rotate up so close to the ignition tower structure that the towel I had put over the front of the tank was snug against the tower. In other words the tank would not raise any further without hitting the tower.

In that position I was just able to get a screwdriver in at an angle to fuel pressure release. The tank still did not appear to be as high as the manual pic, but it did work. I think they slid the tank back partially out of it's front round mounts as much as they could without the tank falling to get extra height out of it. Anyhow that's appears how the pic in the manual is showing as it is.