Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Replace Battery

Been pretty lucky. I have a 2007 Nomad 1600 with 27,000 miles on her and I am just now having to replace the stock battery. I have taken the seats off and the nuts off of the metal bracket holding the battery in place but how in the heck do you disconnect the electrical connectors from the metal bracket. The owners manual doesn't discribe it very well and I don't want to break anything. Any video out there showing how to do this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

Usually a 10mm nut & bolt holds the cables on, then use a nylon cable tie through the post bolt holes as a handle to lift the battery out of the bike.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

He's talking about the 2 connectors on top of the metal battery hold down strap.
I was able to move them out of the way and used zip ties on the battery terminals to remove and install my battery.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Last edited by recumbentbob; 06-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

on my 2006 nomad, the plastic connectors slid off the metal bracket.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the posts. I'll try moving them out of the way first. If that doesn't work I'll try sliding them off.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

They are a bugger, I remember having to fiddle a lot with them to disconnect them. I think I used a small flat blade screwdriver to release the locking tab.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

The connectors HAVE TAB LOCKS to the frame (bar) So do the connectors at the gas tank.

It isn't easy....... The larger one with the black and yellow wire has to be opened in the holder before you can pull the other side out.

Take you time and undo the lock tabs. I think they push in sideways to un lock. Haven't been there in a while but the other day I had the gas tank ones open because my high beam blue indicator has been a problem since day 1.

It needs a mew light bulb and since it is a wire problem at the bulb end I haven't spent $$ and keep fixing it one each season. That bulb might cost 5 bucks!

I'm cheap

In all my years by far this battery box is the worst nightmare i have ever seen. The engineer who created this should go back to finger paints, and the bean counter that approved it should be gang raped in some chinese goolag.

I still have my 06 oem battery too. You did well, but i got ya beat... After being off the charger for 3 days last week with the volt meter ON all that time that and a ride that battery was reading 12.75 dcv volts 2 days ago when i plugged it back in.

I am convinced the Shumaker auto float anti sulfation pulse chage for $20 bucks at walley world is the best charger you can buy. I own 4 of them.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Last edited by macmac; 06-08-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

On Mac's advice I bought the Schumacher charger at Wally world 2 years ago. I too am convinced it is the best. I now own 2 of them.

Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #9

So to summarize pinch the tab on the bar to unlock?

Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
So to summarize pinch the tab on the bar to unlock?
Yes
VBA #01084

"

Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #11

Battery

What a coincidence. I have three of the Schumaker Battery Tenders. One for the Nomad, one for the Can Am Spyder RT Limited and one for the RZR S. My buddy went through 3 batteries in 5 years before he would listen to me and get a tender. Took him to Walmart and he picked up a Schumaker also. Slow learner he was. Back to the garage to give it another shot. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

If it weren't for bad luck I'de have no luck at all.

Got the battery replaced and now the dang running lights quit working. Pretty sure I must of bumped, pulled or loosened something that shouldn't have been. Guess I'll get good at working under the seat on all the electrical crap.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54zamboni View Post
on my 2006 nomad, the plastic connectors slid off the metal bracket.
Same here. Can't remember details but there might have been tabs keeping it from sliding off the bracket. Just had my factory battery replaced 2 month ago.

Last edited by ivan; 06-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisbailey View Post
Got the battery replaced and now the dang running lights quit working. Pretty sure I must of bumped, pulled or loosened something that shouldn't have been. Guess I'll get good at working under the seat on all the electrical crap.
Did you force the connectors or did you figure them out and release them nicely?

What exact lights don't work. If i knew that I could pop my seats and see, and after checking say by plastic insulation colors which wire(s) may be mostly likely pulled too hard.

Brakes are lt blue

amber ft parking lamps and tail lights are Red wire (come on with key)

Any black with yellow wires are grounds

I have no idea if these wires cross over the top of the battery or not with out looking.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it