Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardy View Post
Blew the drive when I ran over a large turtle, Lucky it was just the bike that got hurt. Was doing about 55. The car in front of me straddled it and I didn't have enough time to swerve. And, no, I wasn't tailgating.
This why I ride in the tire track of the car ahead of me.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
This why I ride in the tire track of the car ahead of me.
Good idea. Never even thought of that although that's where I ride when it's raining.
63 Honda 250 Scrambler (really missed)

Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Blew the drive when I ran over a large turtle, Lucky it was just the bike that got hurt. Was doing about 55. The car in front of me straddled it and I didn't have enough time to swerve. And, no, I wasn't tailgating.
Sorry to hear about your problems and glad to hear you made it through unscathed.

However, with all due respect... if you cannot dodge something in the road due to a car ahead of you blocking your view... then you were riding too close to the car. While you might not be tailgating... you were still too close to the car. Just saying...

I have found myself in those situations on occasion where I am not thinking about the unexpected happening. Unfortunately, the unexpected does happen ever so often to remind us though. I have had my share of close calls too.

Again, glad you made it through without injury... and my deepest sympathy to the turtle and his family.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #34

Your analysis is dead on. The truth be known, it's impossible for anyone to continuously expect the unexpected. Wouldn't be much fun riding that way, although it would be safer. I think it gets down to experience and like TC says, good riding habits. Just saying.
63 Honda 250 Scrambler (really missed)

Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Your analysis is dead on. The truth be known, it's impossible for anyone to continuously expect the unexpected. Wouldn't be much fun riding that way, although it would be safer. I think it gets down to experience and like TC says, good riding habits. Just saying.
Thanks for taking what I was saying in the manner it was intended.

Even the best, most skilled will have moments when they were merely lucky the unexpected did not happen.

I know when riding with a couple buddies of mine, we try to take the secondary, twisty roads. In a conversation once, one guy stated we take chances on these roads where we cannot see over the hills or around the curves... so there is that moment of faith when you hope the unexpected doesn't happen.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Thanks for taking what I was saying in the manner it was intended.

Even the best, most skilled will have moments when they were merely lucky the unexpected did not happen.

I know when riding with a couple buddies of mine, we try to take the secondary, twisty roads. In a conversation once, one guy stated we take chances on these roads where we cannot see over the hills or around the curves... so there is that moment of faith when you hope the unexpected doesn't happen.
Blind curves and hilltops are one of the reason bikes have the ability to slow down.

I often wonder when seeing some charge into the unknown blindly and with no possible recourse.

Of course with advancing age comes the fact that it hurts more and takes longer to heal than it used to.

MT
VBA 936

Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

And the next thing you know there is a MOOSE!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
Blind curves and hilltops are one of the reason bikes have the ability to slow down.

I often wonder when seeing some charge into the unknown blindly and with no possible recourse.

Of course with advancing age comes the fact that it hurts more and takes longer to heal than it used to.

MT
Didn't want to give the impression we run these roads without caution, but there has been the occasional deer darting out from the woods you cannot see till it's too late. To that point we all run on some faith...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #39

In traffic the other day on my way home from work. 5 lane road (2 in both directions plus a turn lane in the middle). Someone pulled out into the turn lane to merge. Grandma a couple cars up from me thinks they are pulling in her lane. She locks up her brakes. The car in front of me locks up their brakes. BTW, I'm in the left lane. The lane to my right is bumper-to-bumper going 55-60 mph. I can't take the turn lane because of the car trying to merge. No way to swerve, so I have to brake...very quickly. I must have had a lead foot because i locked up my rear brake. Wasn't trying to. Just made a mistake. My front end was still going straight, but I could see my rear end swinging around to the right in my peripheral vision. From memory, my handlebars were at the 12:00 position and the rear tire around 4:00. Through some combination of luck, prayers, making a deposit in my chaps, etc., I worked the clutch, brake, and front tire perfectly and the bike straightened itself out, allowing me to stop about 8 inches from the car in front of me. I was almost a pancake and 2 cagers almost wrecked because some idiot had to get in the turn lane AT THIS MOMENT instead of waiting another 10 seconds when there was a 1/2 mile break in traffic. He got the finger from me for that one. I got caught not paying attention 100% and was very lucky. One second traffic is flowing and it's a beautiful day. Next second I'm expecting to superman over the car in front of me. Did I tell the wife? Not a chance.

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabrat View Post
Did I tell the wife? Not a chance.
A lot of things are better untold.

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016