Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #1

Waving I LOVE my Nad now but that Triumph Rocket III!

I hate to jinx a good thing. Since I put my OEM pipes back on the Nomad has never run better. No popping, no noise, no pre ignition, no problems.

I went to get my annual inspection at a local Triumph dealer and while I was waiting there I rode the 2300cc Rocket III Tourer. Wow!!!!!! What a monster. Over 800 pounds but light as a feather. This one have a drivers backrest and I got pinned to it in every gear. I am satisfied with my Nomad and no payments but wow what a ride!

If you have the chance ride one. Thats all im saying.

Ra

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseLikeRa View Post
I hate to jinx a good thing. Since I put my OEM pipes back on the Nomad has never run better. No popping, no noise, no pre ignition, no problems.

I went to get my annual inspection at a local Triumph dealer and while I was waiting there I rode the 2300cc Rocket III Tourer. Wow!!!!!! What a monster. Over 800 pounds but light as a feather. This one have a drivers backrest and I got pinned to it in every gear. I am satisfied with my Nomad and no payments but wow what a ride!

If you have the chance ride one. Thats all im saying.

Ra
Yes, great bike! My wife likes the Triumph Thunderbird and wants one,.........me I'll take the Commander, what a nice riding machine!!
So looks like 2 new bikes are in the making this year, maybe!

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #3

Impressive machine! Being a noob, I wouldn't trust myself with that kind of power right now. There's one parked at the Columbus Cycle shop that my brother and I have been gawking at. I think he's about ready to turn in the keys of his 03 Volusia. I hear the Rocket III has incredible balance and can crawl through busy parking lots and intersections effortlessly.
Sold: Red 1999 Vulcan 1500 Nomad G1A
VBA# 2713, VROC #36569, TXVROC, American Legion Riders, VFW, VFD, NRA

Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker View Post
Yes, great bike! My wife likes the Triumph Thunderbird and wants one,.........me I'll take the Commander, what a nice riding machine!!
So looks like 2 new bikes are in the making this year, maybe!
Beautiful bike that Thunderbird but avoid buying a first year manufactured as they had water leak problems. One of my riding buddies sold his after the 3rd time in the shop to fix water leaks. I have since read of other owners having the same problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 05-31-2014, 02:20 AM   #5

I've been eye balling a Rocket III touring for years. One it's not the best looking bike, two my Nomad serves me well and three I don't want a new payment just now. But as you said that power is addicting!
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Beautiful bike that Thunderbird but avoid buying a first year manufactured as they had water leak problems. One of my riding buddies sold his after the 3rd time in the shop to fix water leaks. I have since read of other owners having the same problems.

Thanks for the advice,........................but we will take our chances!
These bikes are so comfortable, love the motor and they look so,.....classic!
Yeah, hopefully we will get rid of the Nomad and 900 for two Commanders!!

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #7

Guys and gals after riding the Rocket III Touring I will go on record as saying that it has more than AWESOME power to offer. First, if its not the touring model with the shield and the matching hard bads I would have no use for the Triumph. The fit and finish is excellent on the bike. The hard bags are large and lock easily. The seating position is VERY comfortable. The one that I rode has an adjustable drivers backrest which I liked. The shield is more narrow that our shield but flows the air wonderfully. Even the floor boards and heel toe shifter handled my size 14 flippers with ease.

Most surprising to me was how well balanced, I would even say nible that big sucker was. I owned a small Honda CB550K many years ago. Leaning and twisting on the Rocket was like I was on a bike half its sized with a jet engine strapped on. No plans to get rid of my Nomad now but unless something changes the Rocket III will be my next motorcycle.

Just my 2 cents
Ra

Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Someone I know personally has just placed one up for sale and I will not ride it. I know I will want it and I just bought my nomad last fall. I'm not into fast but love BIG POWER.

You never should have rode that thing and you wouldn't know what you were missing. That's my opinion. as I love my nomad.
(kawboysix)

Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

I rode one years ago when I worked at a dealership. Definitely impressive bikes.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

Kawboy you are right, I would have never gotten on that beast if I had known I would love the experience so much.

One thing that will keep me from pulling the trigger is that I would not be cought dead in one of those one piece leather pajama thingys that those Euro bikers wear. I was told that they are mandatory riding apparel with the purchase of a Triumph.

Ra

Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #11

my dad looked at getting one before he bought his v2k. ended up being a ton more to add a passenger seat and bags. if you decide to change the pipes, its around $1000.

my boss had one. he just sold it. said it was good at first and then he begun to hate it.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Quote:
One thing that will keep me from pulling the trigger is that I would not be cought dead in one of those one piece leather pajama thingys that those Euro bikers wear.
Euro bikers and BMW riders. You should see ponch on his BMW in his leather pajamas. Keep in mind, he's like 425 pounds and the one piece fits him like a glove.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Top Contributor

BTW, I'm kidding about ponch. Never seen him personally and have no idea if he wears Aerostitch nor do I know how much he weighs. Just jerking his chain.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Kawboy you are right, I would have never gotten on that beast if I had known I would love the experience so much.

One thing that will keep me from pulling the trigger is that I would not be cought dead in one of those one piece leather pajama thingys that those Euro bikers wear. I was told that they are mandatory riding apparel with the purchase of a Triumph.

Ra
No matter what you got or what you can do, there is always something better or someone who can do it better. I learned to never brag or gloat. I just appreciate what I have. Buy the Triumph, and before long, you will learn it's shortfalls, wishing you had somethin else. It never fails and then you regret getting rid of what you had.
(kawboysix)

Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 AM   #15

I sure wish I'd never have sold my 1962 Pontiac Bonneville
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962 Pontiac Bonneville.jpg (23.9 KB, 13 views)