Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

9 inch spectrum filter on left side air bx

Has anyone replaced the stock air box on the left side with a 9 inch spectrum filter ? I put it on the right side and didn't like the sounds in the filter. On the left the bike runs great getting more air then stock. My question is. Does the stock air line need to be closed on the left since it is now bypassing the filter.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Are the solenoids in the right side intake disconnected ?
That could be the source of the sounds you don't like ?

You don't have to do anything with the left side intake if you have the 9" filter on the right side.

The left side is now obsolete. Leave it stock or remove it completely, your choice.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Huh What? You appear to be running a 9 inch filter on the left side and want to know if you should block the left side still?

And you are not getting any more air with a bigger filter due to that nasty little black air cross over tube, that heats the nice cool air and bends and kinks a proper straighter air flow so many times as there are 90 degree walls and twists and turns to the throttle body.

Oh wait I get it now. You still have a stock backing plate and it's wide open rendering the new filter useless. Yeah you want to seal that big hole up good. A lot of sand and dust will enter that hole and so will most of the non filtered air the engine uses to run, and that grit in time will eat metal parts that are heavy on the wallet.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Know what ? I still have no clue what he is sayin'

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Top Contributor

He is not running a 9" filter on the left side. He has it on the right side but does not like the sound ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
He is not running a 9" filter on the left side. He has it on the right side but does not like the sound ?
His ISC's must be clicking, or he can hear the huffing of the engine breather. I can't hear my engine breather, and my ISC's are gone.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #7

You got it right on Macmac,

With the 9 inch on the left your getting air from both places and the stock inlet is bypassing the 9 inch filter. I should probably either close it or go back to stock. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Huh What? You appear to be running a 9 inch filter on the left side and want to know if you should block the left side still?

And you are not getting any more air with a bigger filter due to that nasty little black air cross over tube, that heats the nice cool air and bends and kinks a proper straighter air flow so many times as there are 90 degree walls and twists and turns to the throttle body.

Oh wait I get it now. You still have a stock backing plate and it's wide open rendering the new filter useless. Yeah you want to seal that big hole up good. A lot of sand and dust will enter that hole and so will most of the non filtered air the engine uses to run, and that grit in time will eat metal parts that are heavy on the wallet.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Yes you must seal the oem opening air tight, which is dust and sand tight too. A few screws, some tin, and silicon sealer ( ATV) will work fine.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac