Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #16

Over the years I've been there many times and it sucks to loose every second we can take to enjoy our ride. If it is an air leak it should be a simple fix. Inspect those hoses carefully ! I missed the broken "T" the first time I looked and lost 3 days of riding.

I'd rather make myself look stupid than having someone do it for me !!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #17

Mike, the little WTF box is an aftermarket fuel processor. The dipswitch settings control fuel delivery to the engine at different times during throttle advancement. This is used by a lot of us to get more fuel to the engine as these are horribly lean delivered from the factory. It could be a cause of your issues and there are ways to isolate them from the fuel management system depending on mfg., but I would dig deeper for a vacum leak first and rule that scenario out. Best of Luck on finding the "gremelin" My 2000 FI ran crappy and finally after 2 nights of searching found a split vacum line under the tank.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #18

Did you first rule out bad gas or water in the fuel tank?

You might also want to have the injectors cleaned and tested. I'm talking about removing the injectors and having them looked at my a fuel injector shop. Get them cleaned and inspected. You might have clogged or faulty injectors. Replacement injectors are not exactly cheap but you're looking at about $100 per injector if they need replacing.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
My Nomad ran like crap for my trip from Idaho to Ohio to Arkansas and back home to Idaho. I had changed the fuel pump before I left and had to re-do it again. That cured some of the problems but it still had idle and low speed issues. My battery died, it was only a month old, so I checked to make sure it was charging and found that it was not. A voltmeter on the battery terminals only went to 11.5 volts when I revved the engine. I installed two new stators and the beast is back. While you have the seat off you might want to put a voltmeter on you battery terminals and rev the engine. It should show 13+ volts. If it does not you will need to dig deeper to figure out if the stator or rectifier/regulator has died. Good luck.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #20

The adventure continues ;) Hope you find the issue soon and PLEASE post what you find good luck. Now sit back and chill with a 6 pack of Labatts :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #21

Ok so i learned i have a fuel processor lol Thanx olefiredog. I have tank off and am not finding anything obvious but did notice that there are 2 vacume switches that are identical part number, one has a vacuum line on it the other doesnt? But cant find a stray line shouled it have a line on it?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #22

That would be a negative . The one map sensor closest to the TPS has a hose connected to it . The other does not .
I was thinking about your test on spraying above the TB . It is possible that while the bike is running it would suck it into the opening of the air intake tube that goes from one side of the bike to the other . The opening of that tube is just under the tank . I remembered a couple of years ago when I removed mine.

I'm still thinking !!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #23

Ya i figured out i was hitting intake straight on with brake clean. Did find one loosish wire on the left coil so i tightened the connection on it and found 3 wires with bare little ends that were from a tach i removed to add fairing. The wires did have shrink tube but they are tiny and i guess it fell off. I fixed them as well and reinstalled the tank. Bike has been idling on its own now for about 5 minutes so im gonna finish assembly and go for a test ride....hope it goes well. Will update again in a bit

Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #24

Have you tested the battery ? Since you have the tank off , check the wires going to each of the coils and make sure there on and they haven't come loose . Also check for spark. Could be a bad coil .

Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #25

Went for a short test ride and she rode great. When all this started i was really thinking it ran like a bad coil but dont know bikes so wasnt sure. Im pretty certain that the wires from the tach i removed were touching the frame causing draw on one of the coils which would explain intermittent issue so between them and the coil wire that had the loose connection I really hope i got her fixed.. Going to ride to wotk tomorrow so i will update hopefully for a final time tomorrow night.
I just want to thank everyone again for all their help and suggestions. I put so much physical work into this bike this winter because of all the gorgeous bikes ive seen posted on here I wish I could figure out how to share a pic of what my girl looked like before and now.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #26

Really glad to hear that you had a good test run . Hope the issue is solved for yah . With all the work you've done , you owe yourself some mileage !!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #27

Ok bike is running great but idle is kinda low, any way to adjust it?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #28

If you look just under the dog dish on your right hand side sitting on the bike you will see a little black knob to the left . It should be clipped into a bracket . Remove it from the bracket and pull the knob to release and turn to set idle.

Glad your bike is running again !!!

Old 08-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #29

Thanx, its been pouring rain all day but hopefully tomorrow i can get out for a ride and adjust the idle. Thanx for all the help. Get any questions about cat, cummins or mack diesel engines give me a shout lol