Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

super rich!

.... no i didn't win the lottery. i installed a tfi 1025 due to excessive pinging. Otherwise i was happy with the way the bike runs. i thought i'd be saving my engine from destruction by getting rid of the ping with a tfi. i think i just wasted my $$$. as usual.

bike: 2005 1600 classic, cobra long shots, k&n filter, iridium plugs. the lights work on the controller and it is for sure wired correctly.

i used these settings initially: 2, 2:30, 1, 9. i got these settings from checking out threads from other folks on here. my controller actually suggested 3:30, 4, 1, 9 for the starting point on the classic/nomad. when i fired the bike up and throttled i got tons of black smoke and it smelled super rich. i had to back the pots off to 1:30, 1:30, 1, 9 to get it not to smoke. it still smells really rich and the bike seems to ping even more now. i did let it idle for quite a while though so maybe it was extra hot. i'm lost! i just wanted to project my engine, wasn't worried about gaining performance. i always run 93 octane, non-ethanol fuel.

i bought the bike used a couple seasons ago. there are definitely no other controllers installed on the bike. looks like i may pull the tfi off and just go back to my lean-pinging machine!

i should mention i typically ride within the 1500-4000ft above sea level.

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by hoodooman; 03-30-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Go to this thread:
http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...light=settings
scroll down to post #13 by macmac.
Follow his instructions to set up the TFI. It worked great for me when I was setting up mine.
Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-31-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I'm a bit puzzled as to what your exact problem is. Pinging can have a number of causes but is most commonly due to pre-ignition and is not a mixture problem. I have almost exactly the setup as do you except with true duals. I have no pinging but a tiny bit of decal back popping. You might just look into another reason for the pinging.

Last edited by Navigator; 03-31-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

well i guess my first issue is (now i know i haven't completed tuning yet) that even with the first two pots set on 1:15-1:30, i'm running REALLY rich! that seems odd that on the lowest possible setting that i'd be running that rich.

the second is i'm surprised the pinging hasn't lessened, on either the low settings or on the suggesting "initial" settings. it actually got worse! these things all seem pretty contradictory to what others have suggested. i know each bike is different. i've read countless threads on here and other sites suggesting that pinging can be contributed to a lean a/f mixture.

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes