Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Steering bearings

I replaced the stock steering bearings about 12,000 miles ago. Never really cured my slight front end wobble. Recently I decided to try and re-tighten them. I got about a quarter turn tighter than it was. Now I notice a positive stop when steering is at dead center. Could tell this easily when front end was off the ground and can slightly tell when on the ground. Still turns very easy and have not noticed a wobble in over two hundred miles. Was the dead center stop always there and I didn`t notice? I do not know what torque it is tightened at.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Top Contributor

A positive stop at dead centre is usually an indication that the bearings need to be changed. Did you over tighten the bearings when you replaced them ?

Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

Definitely could be to tight, probably just back them off and leave it that way. I am not convinced bearings are the problem with this bike. Have read enough posts where others didn't see a difference at changing out bearings either. Will probably talk to my dealership. They are usually pretty helpful. Thanks

Old 11-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Did you replace with Allballs bearings or OEM ?

Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

Yes, I did. I really wasn't having much shake lately but decided to check for play with the tire off the ground. There was a small amount of play and that's why I tightened some more. Thinking if I just back it off it will be good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Watching some you tube videos about this. You are correct, need to replace them. I will buy a torque wrench this time. Does anyone make a socket to fit the steering nut?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
Watching some you tube videos about this. You are correct, need to replace them. I will buy a torque wrench this time. Does anyone make a socket to fit the steering nut?
*** I got this one and it worked like a charm, do a forum search under, "all balls". Good luck, cheers.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121450654296?rmvSB=true

Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Here are the all balls bearings you want if you decide to replace them. Much better option.

http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html

Old 11-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

2105 Vaquero. Wore down the Bridgestone front and replaced it with a Commander II and balance beads. Not sure why, but developed a wobble. Front was loose, noisy and not comfortable to ride. Had steering stem checked by the dealer and re-torqued to spec. No change. Just had the All Balls tapered bearings put in... what a difference! Wobble gone and it turns like it's on rails. The whole steering system is so much smoother. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Old 11-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #10

I had a very good experience with All Balls tapered bearings as well. Ended up putting them in both my Voyager and the Classic. Really improved the feel of the bikes, however, they don't install with the same specs as the factory ones.

Here's the word I got from their tech support:

We recommend torquing the spanner nut up to 40 ft/lbs then backing down to 25-28 ft/lbs. There are guys running less, keep in mind this is just a recommendation.

If you feel any looseness tighten it until you can't feel that anymore, this can be tested by pushing and pulling the forks.

Thanks,

Alex Kretz
All Balls Racing

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
I had a very good experience with All Balls tapered bearings as well. Ended up putting them in both my Voyager and the Classic. Really improved the feel of the bikes, however, they don't install with the same specs as the factory ones.

Here's the word I got from their tech support:

We recommend torquing the spanner nut up to 40 ft/lbs then backing down to 25-28 ft/lbs. There are guys running less, keep in mind this is just a recommendation.

If you feel any looseness tighten it until you can't feel that anymore, this can be tested by pushing and pulling the forks.

Thanks,

Alex Kretz
All Balls Racing
Mine go on in another 1200 miles when I cross 15K or so. I had significant wobble when I changed the front to Commander II. I ended up replacing the Commander II with Bridgestone, and it got better, but not perfect. Hoping all balls will make it better and allow me to put the Commander II back on when the Bridgestone wears out.

Last edited by VulcanD; 11-22-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #12

Thanks for the info on the All-Balls bearings. I think I want to replace mine. I had a wobble on my 05 Nomad and it was the stem bearings. A couple extra pounds of torque, no more issue. Thought about doing same with Vaq, it has a slight wobble between 40-50 mph; that's the only time it does it.

Curious, how hard is it to tighten the stem-bearing nut if I want to try that first?

I have heard good things about the beveled bearings and may just replace them, I would like to try the other if I can though.

Thanks,
T
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 11-27-2016, 12:02 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
Mine go on in another 1200 miles when I cross 15K or so. I had significant wobble when I changed the front to Commander II. I ended up replacing the Commander II with Bridgestone, and it got better, but not perfect. Hoping all balls will make it better and allow me to put the Commander II back on when the Bridgestone wears out.
Check that Commander II for side wobble. Mine started with s slight head shake and as time passed it got worse. It was worse in a lefthand turn more so than a righthand turn.

I checked the torque on the head bearings and it was good. I doubled it and it was still there.

I jacked the front off the floor and spun the tire and saw a side to side wobble in the tire. I put a dial indicator on the rim and it had .005 " deflection.

So the tire was the problem. I contacted Michelin tires motorcycle division and to make a long story short they said they would pay 80% for the tire replacement and labor.

I replaced the tire and the head shake went away.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Thanks for the info on the All-Balls bearings. I think I want to replace mine. I had a wobble on my 05 Nomad and it was the stem bearings. A couple extra pounds of torque, no more issue. Thought about doing same with Vaq, it has a slight wobble between 40-50 mph; that's the only time it does it.

Curious, how hard is it to tighten the stem-bearing nut if I want to try that first?

I have heard good things about the beveled bearings and may just replace them, I would like to try the other if I can though.

Thanks,
T
I removed the 2 nuts and washers that hold the handlebar risers in place and after putting a towel on the tank, I laid them there while I messed with the steering stem nuts. The top nut needs a thin wall 36 mm socket so you can remove the top fork bracket. I made a spanner socket for the lower nut that provides the torque for the stem bearings.

Here is another thread by another member and he listed the tools he used and some short cuts he learned. Check this out: http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42294

Good luck with it.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.