Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Yea, call Ma Kaw. They will get things rolling for you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #17

I work midnights, I will be calling reps tomorrow in the am and see if I can rattle a cage or two.. I appreciate all the advice.. I shall follow it..

Old 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #18

I was a service writer at Ducati Omaha for a short time and Ducati did not tolerate dealers making their customers unhappy. When a difficult to solve problem surfaced on a new in warranty bike they became very involved with the issue until it was figured out and fixed. I have no idea if Kawasaki is the same way but if they are, your dealer is not handling this the way Kawasaki wants it handled. As others have said, contact Kawasaki yourself and you'll see things start happening.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MET-RICK View Post
then it should stand to reason that all the rest of the many, many, many other bikes with Ivans reflash would also be experiencing the same problem (s)...but in fact most if not all have reported that they run much better, smoother and stronger to say the least. So how do or, would/could they explain that all these other bikes have not been going back to the dealer (s) with the same complaint (s)...I think I hear the dealer bs detector going off
It isn't just Kawasaki or this particular dealer, but virtually any and every manufactured product's warranty policy will state that if it has been modified from factory specifications, you risk your warranty becoming invalid.

While most of us on this forum may consider an Ivan's reflash as an improvement, the dealer and Kawasaki will consider that it has been tampered with.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 04-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #20

What Snake Ranch said! Let me give you a little bit of advice about your dealership repairing bikes.
A dealership repair dept. is not your buddy, pal, unless you have a really good, and I mean good friend there. Like your uncle, godfather, whoever! They are there to make money. All that they can, with the least amount of expenditure as possible.
New bikes with recalls are 1st in line. All other mechanics will be working on recalls the jetskis and 4 wheelers....
You bike being diagnosed will be either its under warranty, fix it, but make sure no external forces or accessories are installed....
If you are a repeat customer, you pay for your repairs, and have spent over $1500 on stuff in a years time, will will be appreciated, smiled to, sucked up to, and they'll even enjoy your visits.
Warranty work is paid for by kawasaki, not by the owners of the shop. They are putting you way down on the list. They will not get to you till they have to. NOW, when They Bark (MaKawa), the dealers listen!!!! Until then.....your in limbo....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
What Snake Ranch said! Let me give you a little bit of advice about your dealership repairing bikes.
A dealership repair dept. is not your buddy, pal, unless you have a really good, and I mean good friend there. Like your uncle, godfather, whoever! They are there to make money. All that they can, with the least amount of expenditure as possible.
New bikes with recalls are 1st in line. All other mechanics will be working on recalls the jetskis and 4 wheelers....
You bike being diagnosed will be either its under warranty, fix it, but make sure no external forces or accessories are installed....
If you are a repeat customer, you pay for your repairs, and have spent over $1500 on stuff in a years time, will will be appreciated, smiled to, sucked up to, and they'll even enjoy your visits.
Warranty work is paid for by kawasaki, not by the owners of the shop. They are putting you way down on the list. They will not get to you till they have to. NOW, when They Bark (MaKawa), the dealers listen!!!! Until then.....your in limbo....
Like I said before, I don't know how the dealers of other bikes handle warranty issues, but Ducati did not put up with that crap. At Ducati Omaha warranty issues were at the top of the list as far as repairs were concerned. Ducati considered the brand's reputation to be on the line with any warranty service and they wanted service done promptly and correctly.

Last edited by terryd; 04-21-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #22

according to the original poster #10 his ECU has NOT been flashed, so that should elliminate any question about warranty. now if your dealer is anything like mine, they have one licensed mechanic and several parts changers. so when it comes to diagnostic work, good luck with that. maybe im wrong bit it seems to me, once you buy the bike you become one of the flock, and when you need work done then take a number and we`ll get to you!!
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 04-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #23

it seems strange to me that there are that many "bad" dealers out
from my experience 95% of dealerships (automotive, bike, construction) want to treat you right. there is not a lot of money made on the original sale. dealers make their profit on parts(service is lucky to break even) and the only way to stay in business is to have repeat customers. I agree warranty is not a money maker for the dealership (and yes they do lose money on some warranty repairs) but in a tight competitive market, most dealers look at the big picture ( you sometimes lose money on a job) but with happy customers (and repeat customers) in the long run the dealership is profitable. I also know most manufacturers will allow extra time for warranty if the dealership can prove the extra time is warranted and the manufacturer has been included (and their advice followed) in diagnosing the issue. yes I do work for a dealership (not a bike dealership) but I assume it would be very similar

Old 04-22-2017, 04:02 AM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altadrifter View Post
it seems strange to me that there are that many "bad" dealers out
from my experience 95% of dealerships (automotive, bike, construction) want to treat you right. there is not a lot of money made on the original sale. dealers make their profit on parts(service is lucky to break even) and the only way to stay in business is to have repeat customers. I agree warranty is not a money maker for the dealership (and yes they do lose money on some warranty repairs) but in a tight competitive market, most dealers look at the big picture ( you sometimes lose money on a job) but with happy customers (and repeat customers) in the long run the dealership is profitable. I also know most manufacturers will allow extra time for warranty if the dealership can prove the extra time is warranted and the manufacturer has been included (and their advice followed) in diagnosing the issue. yes I do work for a dealership (not a bike dealership) but I assume it would be very similar

When I first bought my skoot, I found the intake crossover connection leaking dirt. I went to my local dealer, about 10 minutes away, and he told me to take my skoot to where ever I bought it because He didn't want to work on it.

Needless to say I was shocked as I have worked for a CAT dealership for over 26 years and was taught the concept of customer satisfaction.

When I got home I called the factory about this and that guy told me the dealers are independent and the factory can't do to much about it.

Now i'm in shock again.

But he did point me in the direction of a good dealership and I have been happy going there although it's about 45 minutes away.

Out of 5 dealerships I found 1 that was willing to help try resolving my problem.

There are good ones out there but they are few and far inbetween.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #25
Advanced Member

When the dealer was diagnosing my engine noise they were in constant contact with Kawasaki. Kawasaki directed the diagnostic work and only after many attempts to clear the noise without pulling the engine did Kawasaki authorize pulling it and opening it up. That is when the KACR was discovered laying on the valves and parts of it throughout the engine.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 04-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #26

I had a stumbling issue with my Voyager awhile back and took it to the dealer to check it out. It was jerky at low speeds, RPMs. They tried to tell me it was because of the car tire I had on it, causing the clutch to slip and then catch causing it to jerk. Well, I had a speed healer on it to correct the speedometer reading. After removing it, trying to find the problem myself, that was what was causing the issues, stumbling stopped and I picked up 2 mpgs on my commute to and from work. I figure the healer was tricking the computer to think I was going a different speed and adjusting the timing to an unfavorable setting cause the stumble.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
It isn't just Kawasaki or this particular dealer, but virtually any and every manufactured product's warranty policy will state that if it has been modified from factory specifications, you risk your warranty becoming invalid.

While most of us on this forum may consider an Ivan's reflash as an improvement, the dealer and Kawasaki will consider that it has been tampered with.
*** Well possibly there may be a Canadian version of the U.S. warranty act that deals with this type of situation... but in the U.S. there is this to consider and possibly use...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

From a previous post in this forum by JD Hog, quote "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will cover you unless the re-flash actually caused a problem. If my radio fails and the ECU was not the cause I would be covered. That would be the same for any part on the bike."
. Cheers

Last edited by MET-RICK; 04-23-2017 at 07:27 AM.