Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Kaw says nothing is being dropped in 2017. But with the new Eruo laws something has to happen. They either have to abandon that market, make bikes just for it, or make new bikes that meet the Euro standards and sell them everywhere.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...inued-for-2017

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #17

The tide is turning on the big cruiser market.

Pretty soon it will be HD or 1 or 2 other offerings.

Bike manufacturers are learning the lesson the automakers learned a few years ago.

Too many different models aren't profitable.

Just ask Mercury or Pontiac, Saturn, or Oldsmobile.

If you like the Kaw, then do like DL suggested and stock up parts, otherwise a VBA rally will look like the VROC rallies with more Hondas and HDs then Kaws.

But then that's already started, hasn't it.

The only thing we can count on to remain the same is CHANGE.

We're at that point the BUBF guys were at 15 years ago.

How many have visited Manjo's BUBF page?

Or maybe where the flathead guys were in the 50s.

With so many new 2 and 3 year old bikes sitting unsold in dealerships, and so many new bikes selling cheaply through the likes of ebay, how profitable can they be?
VBA 936

Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
If you like the Kaw, then do like DL suggested and stock up parts, otherwise a VBA rally will look like the VROC rallies with more Hondas and HDs then Kaws.

But then that's already started, hasn't it.
I hear ya about the rallies. The last VROC reunion I went to there was hardly room to park my Voyager, the motel lot was so full of cars, trucks and trailers. And as you say, we were outnumbered by Hondas and other brands. KawUSA stopped supporting VROC functions because of all the Goldwings, or at least that was the story at the time.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
And Yamaha is unveiling their new trans continental tourer on June 5th.
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/tr...nental-touring
Doesn't make sense to me why Kaw would discontinue the Vulcan line....
It does seem a bit strange to be introducing a new bike in a declining market, but Yamaha has been away from this segment for quite a while. Maybe they see the demise of Victory (and maybe Voyager) and the out-of-date Goldwing as an opportunity to get back in with a totally modern bike.
That spy photo of their new bike has been floating around the Yamaha forums for 2 years or more, they've been sitting on this for a while waiting for the right time to leap.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Well, these bikes are gonna be bought up bigtime after people realize how well they hold up, how durable they are.
How many years will that take? They have been durable for years except for the POG and still are a minor seller of bikes.

A number of us have seen the writing on the walls with how MaKaw has acted. And in recent past they have shown that they are willing to let it go. They dropped the Accelerate Magazine, ROK and even the Nomad after they screwed up the design. They have their loyal following and that number has decreased over time. I've owned 4 Kawasaki's over the years and made the change this year.

The potential of Kawasaki dropping the cruiser lineup really doesn't surprise me in the least if it happens. Their meat and potatoes has always been the dirt bikes and ATV's.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #21

I found it odd when Yamaha got rid of their big cruisers, in particular the Road Star that had a cult-like following and tons of accessories to buy. Makes sense that a new one is coming.

I will be interested in the price to see if it is in the ball park with Goldwings, HD touring bikes, and Indians. With the speculated goodies it may be up there in price. It will be sad if big touring bikes become out of reach for riders due to economic factors. Used HDs and Goldwings really hold their value.

I have said in other threads that people like me who are still riding around on 1500s can't be helping the economic analysis of the motorcycle companies. While I am still enjoying my current ride, I always keep an eye out for my next bike. It is quite possible that the options available when I pull the trigger will be limited.

I see that many companies are building and promoting the sport tourers and I sat on a Yamaha FJ-09 a while back. The problem for some of us is a 33" seat height or a reduction in suspension performance when lowering many rides.

However it goes, we are still riding and these developments are nice "problems" to have.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #22

By the way, why is it so challenging for bikes to meet the European standards? Or is it more the case that it is not worth the R&D for a model that is not selling enough?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I hear ya about the rallies. The last VROC reunion I went to there was hardly room to park my Voyager, the motel lot was so full of cars, trucks and trailers. And as you say, we were outnumbered by Hondas and other brands. KawUSA stopped supporting VROC functions because of all the Goldwings, or at least that was the story at the time.

that's why the designated Gold Wing parking for the St. Clair rally will be at the Subway next door.........

Old 05-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #24

The last Voyager was out of production for 5 years before the current version appeared, and they are nothing alike once you get past they are touring bikes. The big cruiser and Nomad are already gone, so its just a matter of when, not if the 1700 will be history.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
that's why the designated Gold Wing parking for the St. Clair rally will be at the Subway next door.........
We had a waitress at the Sagebrush in Waynesville at SEVROC, a couple of weeks ago, who asked if we were parked in the reserved for Harley spots.

Boy, did she ever get an earful.
VBA 936

Old 05-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Of course I spoke too soon. Driving home from work yesterday a black Vaquero passed me.
How could you just let it pass you?

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #27

In 2008, Suzuki came out with the C109 bagger. It was 1800cc of monster torque with a windshield, leather saddlebags, passenger backrest /luggage rack, and my favorite a 240 rear tire. It incorporated ceramic lined cylinders and a servo controlled butterfly valve in the exhaust to control back pressure. A good looking bike too. I saw it on the dealer floor and bought one no questions asked.
I still have that bike and still love it but, Suzuki discontinued production of it after only 2 years. I had hoped that they would have refined the bike with electronics and a fairing as I would have traded the 08 eventually for a more refined model. But it got killed.
I am anxious to see what Yamaha has prepared with their new "Venture". If they try and compete in the Harley, Indian world that is focused mainly on fleecing it's customers, they will fail. If they stick to the Japanese model of selling awesome motorcycles that working people can afford then, most likely I'll trade the Zuke for one. Keeping the Vaquero though for sure.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
How could you just let it pass you?
Well.......... I was travelling east in my truck and he was travelling west. If I am mosying along and someone comes up behind me and wants to pass I just let them go. If I am riding fast I usually do not see anyone behind me. Haha

Last edited by ToddM; 06-01-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #29

Quote:
I was travelling east in my truck and he was travelling west
My Apologies.
On another note, I had a 1500 classic parked next to me as I left work. I almost cried that I sold mine to buy the Vaquero. As the Vulcan line may end. I wish I kept it now. It was a great bike and really never went to the shop. Drove it from 0-42,000. But then again it was dropped from the line 2 years after my purchase. And Guess what Now my 2016 Vaquero may also be dropped 2 years after my purchase.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #30

Kawasaki like most large companies is tight lipped about their plans.
They have over 80 models to make decisions about.
Motorcycles, jet skis, four wheelers etc. all have questions that will have to be answered.
Drop this, add that, put cruise on it, will heated grips sell more units? What will it cost?
The fact is that those who make the decisions don't talk about it.
Kawasaki doesn't comment on future production. Period.
At this point it's speculation. We'll see what happens.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers