Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings,

Was riding west bound on I-88 out of Chicago last week in the rain. It wasn’t a heavy rain, but roads were definitely wet. The cruise was set at 65, as traffic was not heavy (I do not want to discuss setting cruise in less than perfect weather…) . There are tar strips filling the gaps between the lanes. Some were wide tar strips, 4 or 5 inches. During a lane change, when the rear tire (Michelin Commander II with 5K, good tread showing) crossed the tar strip, the rear end slipped and danced. The engine revved up while the rear tire spun and rear end danced! As soon as the tire was back on concrete, the bike straightened up and resumed. However, that half-a-second of spinning-n-wiggle sure shook my faith in the Michelin Commanders.

I have been an advocate of these tires for their life and wear. This experience truly shook my faith (figuratively and literally). Others have posted about their observations regarding MC II’s in wet conditions, I now understand.

FYI, the front “stone” was a rock in those same conditions. Short version, the Dunlop Elite 4 or American’s are going to be looking good next tire change…

Ride safe,
Try riding in Georgia on a 90 degree day and the road snakes are squirming. I don't care what tire you have, it's fun to say the least. I know tires are a touchy subject because everyone's tires are the best, but, I've had several different brands over the years and they all reacted the same under those conditions. Try finding a tire that has grab on basically a puddle of liquid tar. Being careful would be beneficial to longevity. Of course that's only my opinion and everyone knows what their opinions are worth.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Thanks for route info and will check it out when I head south again this summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
We have this road in Central Pennsylvania (RT 125) which is a mountainous, two lane, twisties, switch backs, Dragonesque in much need of a repave. On a mid-90 degree day I went around an up hill 15 mph right hand switch back. Some Dingleball had placed Tar Snakes around the radius of the turn on the path I chose through the corner. So here I am boards dragging, I hit that snake and my bike jumps to the left must be 10 feet (probably only 2 inches), my right leg instinctively goes out to contact the pavement enough to bump me back up. Then it caught pavement, Then it caught the second tar snake. We are talking both wheels drifting here. I didn't go down but I had to stop and pull my once tidy whities out of my throat. Did I mention I wore my sneakers that day instead of my boots - I now know why boots over my ankle should be worn. I didn't brake anything, but those sneakers got more traction than my new Dunlop American Elite's.

As I said earlier this road is in need of repair, So I guess I should be happy that they are going to tar and chip the road next week. At least I will expect to crash with the tar and chips (if I choose to ride it) rather than be totally caught out of the blue with a drifting lesson.

To top is off - the wife behind me on her Spyder said - didn't bother me at all.

HOT TAR SNAKES = BAD

Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
Try riding in Georgia on a 90 degree day and the road snakes are squirming.
What is the deal with Georgia road snakes? They are the worst. I first learned about them going down 28 from Highlands NC. Hit the state line going into Ga and thought the snakes were going to kill me.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #19

Working in motorcycle shops over the years...one question that keeps coming up is: "How are these tires in the rain?"

Fact of the matter is...I don't know anybody who is fast enough to make any claim about that...

Be careful!

Old 06-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRocker View Post
Working in motorcycle shops over the years...one question that keeps coming up is: "How are these tires in the rain?"

Fact of the matter is...I don't know anybody who is fast enough to make any claim about that...

Be careful!
All the riders you know must be leisurely, "stop and smell the roses" riders that never ride in the rain.

Just making a left turn at a very large intersection can create a butt pucker.

There is an intersection like that I been thru quite often. I've done it on 2 bikes each with 2 different brand tires many times rain and dry. Going home, it is a wide sweeping left (intersection of 2 streets, each with 3 or more lanes each direction). I can definitely make claims about tires in rain from that intersection alone. I have had the rear tire slip more than once there with Metzlers on a Honda Sabre and MCIIs on the Voyager. Dunlops and Bridgestones have never broken loose on me there and I don't have to be riding aggressively to do it. Dunlops, like Bridgestones are softer rubber with better grip, but wear out very fast.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
All the riders you know must be leisurely, "stop and smell the roses" riders that never ride in the rain.

Just making a left turn at a very large intersection can create a butt pucker.

There is an intersection like that I been thru quite often. I've done it on 2 bikes each with 2 different brand tires many times rain and dry. Going home, it is a wide sweeping left (intersection of 2 streets, each with 3 or more lanes each direction). I can definitely make claims about tires in rain from that intersection alone. I have had the rear tire slip more than once there with Metzlers on a Honda Sabre and MCIIs on the Voyager. Dunlops and Bridgestones have never broken loose on me there and I don't have to be riding aggressively to do it. Dunlops, like Bridgestones are softer rubber with better grip, but wear out very fast.
Yeah...you're probably right...if I could catch them, I could ask them...

Last edited by CRocker; 06-29-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Cruise control and rain (tar snakes or not) don't mix. Cruise control and tar snakes on a blazing hot day don't mix, either. They are actually more slick when hot than in rain, IMHO...

...unless it is the start of rain where it has not rained for a while, especially in warmer weather. In that case, any pavement will be more slick because of oil buildup on the surface. After a few minutes of decent rain, the oils will be lifted and will run off with the rain. But those first few minutes can be treacherous, especially on tar snakes and reflective pavement paint or coatings.

That, too........ front tire slipped on thick yellow center line that had about 2-3 minutes worth of rain on it..... fine on the pavement, not on the paint.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post
That, too........ front tire slipped on thick yellow center line that had about 2-3 minutes worth of rain on it..... fine on the pavement, not on the paint.
It sure would be nice if they could come up with a reflective paint with some sand mixed in to give a little more traction when wet.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
It sure would be nice if they could come up with a reflective paint with some sand mixed in to give a little more traction when wet.
Yeah, even pedestrians have trouble keeping upright on a lot of that stuff.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #25
Advanced Member

One thing to keep in mind of wet weather riding is the oil residue from passenger car tailpipes, and eighteen wheeler fifth wheel grease at turn lanes at the traffic lights and major intersections. My MCII's work really well most times in rain but the major turn lanes and up hill lanes can be so slick my boots slip on the pavement while I'm stopped. I have witnessed bikers fall over at a turn lane leading up a road to an industrial park because of the oils and grease from big trucks. It was dry weather at the time!

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.